Sign in to follow this  
herman01

Should you switch to Blue Ray?

:haha::good:

Seriously, with modern codecs and CPU power you can pack the same high quality video on a common DVD (with subtitles and multiple audio tracks). But no, sony says 'lets make a brand new format' changing production lines and the whole lot of home video players and selling their P(o)S3. Hate 'em...

The good news is I don't think BD will ever need to be replaced. 50GB on a disc is more than enough unless someone decides we all need 2160p TVs.

Blu-Ray is the shiznit, fellows. Hook your PS3 up to an HD set and prepare to be rocked.

I think I'll wait till Blue-ray gets cheaper. Plus I dont know if I want to see those parts like in clip from 300.

Hook your PS3 up to an HD set and prepare to be rocked.

Not a console fan. FPS's blow on console. Flight sims blow on console. I don't play Guitar Hero cuz I played guitar and made a living at it. No reason to buy a console and there's never any reason to buy an X-Box. Evar!!!

Not a console fan. FPS's blow on console. Flight sims blow on console. I don't play Guitar Hero cuz I played guitar and made a living at it. No reason to buy a console and there's never any reason to buy an X-Box. Evar!!!

Ps3 is the best bluray player you can buy, even if you never use it as a game console.

Why don't they replace Disks with flash drives or SD cards, im sure they can get them up to 20gigs and they are much smaller and easier to carry around. Plus you don't have to worry about it getting scratched.

Ps3 is the best bluray player you can buy,

$500 for PS3, $350 for a top of the line standard Blu-Ray player.

$500 for PS3, $350 for a top of the line standard Blu-Ray player.

Try $399 for a PS3. Which is the only BD player guaranteed to be upgradeble to all future versions of the Blu-Ray standard, and is also UPnP media player for everything else you have media-wise. Even if you never play a single game, its a great investment as a media-hub. Don't be a Sony hater, they have an excellent product in the PS3 despite their past sins.

$350 for a BD player NOW. Up until a couple of weeks ago, it was $399 for a BD player and NOT top of the line.

The PS3 is a good deal because Sony loses money on them. No one is losing money on BD standalone players. Only the PS3's lack of regular remote sucks. I'm considering getting one as a 2nd BD player, but I'm also thinking about buying a new laptop w/BD player and plugging my TV into the HDMI port. Sure it's $1300 for the laptop, but it will do other things and will also be a portable BD player if I go on trips!

However, Sony isn't my favorite company so my BD player is the Panasonic 1.1 profile model that came out end of last year. I didn't care about 2.0, I don't even have my HD DVD player hooked to the internet. Of course, the PS3 has wireless so I COULD use it there, but no standalone player has a wifi connection.

$350 for a BD player NOW. Up until a couple of weeks ago, it was $399 for a BD player and NOT top of the line.

The PS3 is a good deal because Sony loses money on them. No one is losing money on BD standalone players. Only the PS3's lack of regular remote sucks. I'm considering getting one as a 2nd BD player, but I'm also thinking about buying a new laptop w/BD player and plugging my TV into the HDMI port. Sure it's $1300 for the laptop, but it will do other things and will also be a portable BD player if I go on trips!

However, Sony isn't my favorite company so my BD player is the Panasonic 1.1 profile model that came out end of last year. I didn't care about 2.0, I don't even have my HD DVD player hooked to the internet. Of course, the PS3 has wireless so I COULD use it there, but no standalone player has a wifi connection.

When you say lack of regular remote do you mean lack of an IR remote? Because for $20 or so you can get a regualr remote for the PS3, it just uses bluetooth instead of IR.

Blu-Ray players will drop substantially within a year. PS3 prices aren't going to drop, in fact you can count on prices going up.

Blu-Ray players will drop substantially within a year. PS3 prices aren't going to drop, in fact you can count on prices going up.

If so, it just makes the current PS3 at $399 that much more of a steal. BD/DVD/CD player with the ability to stream all your music and videos from your PC to your stereo, as well as play games if you are into that. The only thing its missing is SACD playback, which is a shame since SACD is a downright awesome audio format, but neither DVD-A or SACD ever reached critical mass, unfortunately.

What? I just upgraded to VHS!

You're telling me my VCR is no good anymore and I have to upgrade again? :blush2:

Ok seriously, I'd go with the flash drives. They seem to be getting larger, faster than any disc form.

get blu-ray only if you want to watch a movie :blink::rofl: I do like xbox only cause i like madden and huge hd tv sets :haha:

no matter how advanced, discs will always have the simple weak point of scratches. Many a time have I been stoked to watch some great old movie, "digitally remastered" and all that, only to be informed by both DVD players and my PS2 that they will not play such a scratched up disc. I'm all for putting movies on USB keys and just make a TV adapter for that.

Flash drives all the way!

I just mean the PS3 only comes with the gamepad controller, you have to pay extra for the remote. Granted it's cheap, but you do have to pay extra.

As for scratches, unlike DVD and HD DVD, BD has a new coating that makes it more resistant to scratches.

I've rented DVDs, HD DVDs, and BDs from Netflix and I've never seen a scratched BD. Dirty with fingerprints, yes, but in every case I've been able to wipe it down to looks-new condition. Some DVDs and HD DVDs, though, were really bad.

As for flash drives, the simple matter is they cost a lot more than a BD. Ever seen a 25GB flash drive for $15? Yet you can get a BD for that. The switch to consoles like PS and Gamecube using CD/DVDs instead of cartridges was for cost reasons, and a flash drive is just an old Nintendo/Atari cartridge in another guise.

As for scratches, unlike DVD and HD DVD, BD has a new coating that makes it more resistant to scratches.

I've rented DVDs, HD DVDs, and BDs from Netflix and I've never seen a scratched BD. Dirty with fingerprints, yes, but in every case I've been able to wipe it down to looks-new condition. Some DVDs and HD DVDs, though, were really bad.

As for flash drives, the simple matter is they cost a lot more than a BD. Ever seen a 25GB flash drive for $15? Yet you can get a BD for that. The switch to consoles like PS and Gamecube using CD/DVDs instead of cartridges was for cost reasons, and a flash drive is just an old Nintendo/Atari cartridge in another guise.

"More resistant to scratches" is different then "Impervious to scratches". Blue-ray discs may have improved scratch protection, but over time they are still vulnerable. Another thing, I don't know which movies you rented in DVD, HD DVD and blueray, but blueray hasn't been around as long, thus the disks have likely been exposed to less (ab)use compared to DVDs. Furthermore, DVD players are still much more widely used, so there are proabaly a lot more people who would rent a DVD then a blueray, exposing the DVD to still more use.

As for flash drives, I know that they're expensive, but I'd much rather pay an extra dollar to rent a movie that I know isn't damaged then take my chances with an old DVD (or even blueray). They don't even have to be too compact, they're just playing a movie, no need to be the size of a quarter. Also, as much as I hate to rely on the future to back up my arguement, I'm sure that, given the initiative, somebody could come up with a less expensive flash drive movie system. Maybe ask Sandisk...?