Hello folks! First post in this forum but I gotta say I really like what I ´ve read so far. I like the attitude, the courtesy and the family size of Biohaz!

Now on to the point. While flying feet wet in LOMAC I continuously experience vertigos. Now, I do fly VFR single engine props, and regularly over water, so I have a feeling of what it´s like. Of course I rarely come tumbling down 20,000 feet in seconds while swinging my head to keep track of the target, but again, I can very safely judge my altitude and attitude at all times just by eyeballing the area.

In LOMAC the sea is a killer. You never know youre about to join the dolphins until its too late. It seems to me that the water effects (although fantastic in their own right) lack certain features that would really help a pilot AND make the sea more realistic from medium to high altitudes.

The sea IMO needs slight mottles of discoloration here and there, not just those small riples and waves, but broader surfaces with colour variations. (IL2FB isa good although not perfect example of what I´m talking about).

Now I won´t go all the way and ask for waves or whatever, but flying the Su-33 and perforiming maritime ops will be seriously dangerous in LOMAC with the water effects as they are.

Looking forward to your opinions...

Cheers!

Guest MrMudd

Unfortunately In the Real Fighter aviation World. The effects of Spacial distortion and Situational awareness are key.

This is why we have several differnt types of Warning Tones, and "Betty" to help aid the Concious pilot to follow the guidance and execute the manuever that will save his life and hopefully the aircraft. In some aircraft their is terrain Avoidance, and G-out recovery systems.

I have lost a few friends to this, At night, in the weather, G unconciousness, Hypoxia, night Vision SD, etc. :(

Lomac models the phenomenoms of atmospheric effects very well.

Systems Awareness is Critical to help negate the effects of Spacial Disorientation B)

Check the Eagle Soup Thread for a video link of a lomac video i made useing The F15c and IFR Flight in the Thunderstorm and Fog settings the game provides.

While back, when I was working on my private pilot licence, on my first flight under

the "hood" I remember it took a lot of concentration to force myself to trust the

instruments. Also when flying "jerry-rigged" Hornet sim, occasionally I would feel

the onset of vertigo (or whatever the hell it was). The motion platform was limited

in roll and pitch and your eyes are telling you one thing but your inner ear is telling

you something else. Weird feeling!

Whoa. This is wierd.

Today I was playing the demo for a few hours (and I'm off to "demo land" after this post!) and yup - I was feeling like I was in a constant lean to the left. Even though I knew I was sitting straight up and down.

I just chalked it up to too many hours "flying" at once and I was just getting fatigued.

And now you go and post this.

Too wierd.

Guest MrMudd

True Story, Physiology wise in the DOD military aviation we have what is called Crew rest a minumum of 8 hours Downtime and Sleep.

Fatigue will sap your physical and Mental capacities. Good exercise, and constant application of all Skills sets is primary to succesful flying.

Aviation and warfighting is a perishable skill

True Story, Physiology wise in the DOD military aviation we have what is called Crew rest a minumum of 8 hours Downtime and Sleep.

Fatigue will sap your physical and Mental capacities. Good exercise, and constant application of all Skills sets is primary to succesful flying.

Aviation and warfighting is a perishable skill

I have felt all that, (feeling like I´m banking when I´m actually straight and level) while flying, especially when humidity, clouds and visiblity are playng tricks on me. But on a clear day, as in the case of LOMAC, I can definately see the sea´s surface from quite an altitude, and thus judge my dive angle and how I´m gonna pullup if I want to skim the surface.

Apart from the water textures however, I agree that overall, besides some minor gripes I have with the sky´s colours at dawn and dusk, LOMAC atmospherics are excellent.

Edit= Check out this URL to see what I mean about larger mottles of different shades of blue to help distinguish the colour´s surface and give the feeling of a Sea and not a lake as we have now IMO.

http://www.knights.ru/large/1.jpg

That's why I stick with the good old A-10! hehehe

Have you guys tried the mission with a couple armoured columns and 4 KA-50 Helos? Great fun, and no sea under ya! ;)

Now on to the point. While flying feet wet in LOMAC I continuously experience vertigos. Now, I do fly VFR single engine props, and regularly over water, so I have a feeling of what it´s like. Of course I rarely come tumbling down 20,000 feet in seconds while swinging my head to keep track of the target, but again, I can very safely judge my altitude and attitude at all times just by eyeballing the area.

In LOMAC the sea is a killer. You never know youre about to join the dolphins until its too late. It seems to me that the water effects (although fantastic in their own right) lack certain features that would really help a pilot AND make the sea more realistic from medium to high altitudes.

The sea IMO needs slight mottles of discoloration here and there, not just those small riples and waves, but broader surfaces with colour variations. (IL2FB isa good although not perfect example of what I´m talking about).

Now I won´t go all the way and ask for waves or whatever, but flying the Su-33 and perforiming maritime ops will be seriously dangerous in LOMAC with the water effects as they are.

Looking forward to your opinions...

Cheers!

I love the look of the highly reflective water but there is no scale or depth of field perception whilst dogfighting over it. You can’t judge how high you are via looking out of the canopy during a dogfight, so you can easily end up striking the water if fighting vertically (where the MIG29 does better). Also, the water’s horizon is often too hard to visually discern, so a sense of ones aspect and orientation, relative to it is missing, leading to regular losses of situational awareness. It needs long wavelength swells included, plus their shadows, with a few white caps mapped in to break up the mirror-like be-calmed effect and to give a better sense of height scaling, and ones relative proximity to its surface. I love what you’ve done but a few more refinements and tweaks will make all the difference to its visual appeal and practical utility.