Sign in to follow this  
Ruiner29

Graphics card question

Today I picked up an ASUS EN9600GSO 384mb DDR3 video card at a bargain price at my local computer store.

I haven't tested it yet because my power supply is too weak to handle it but my other computer at my GF's place has a better one which I may swap out tomorrow or the next day.

My question is: does anyone on here have one of these cards whether it be made by ASUS or any other manufacturer and does it run the Thirdwire series well on high settings.

Right now i'm using a geforce 7300gs 256mb DDR2 and with WOI or WOE running at 1024x768 with all settings on high.

I usually get around 35/40 fps unless there are non-stop SAM's coming at me.

The smoke trails from the SAM's tend to drop my framerates to thier knees !

BTW the computer is an Intel Dual Core @ 2.66ghz with 1gb RAM.

I know that's not a lot of RAM but I need to get a new mobo to allow more :(

The game(s) have never crashed on me because of lack of RAM though and I usually run with a few mods like the Widesky and Enhanced Explosions 3 etc.

If the card utilizes an nVidia chipset, you would not run into much problems, except dependent on the rest of the system. A 9600 should handle the tasks well enough, at least better than the 7300 by a wide margin.

Guest Sony Tuckson

I'm running a 9600 GT is it runs nicely

it's a bit more powerfull and got more RAM on board

At the resolution you speak about, there shouldn't be any problem

Thanks for the replies i've gotten on this so far.

I couldn't make it out today to get the other power supply so I still don't even know for sure if I can run this card without spending some more dough.

From what I have read the card seems to run most newer games fairly well even at high resolutions but the power requirements seem kinda high.

It says it needs at least +12volts @ 28 amps to run stable. Is this above the norm ?

I don't know much about power supplies and I may need to buy a better one.

If anyone knows a lot about this stuff could you please post ?

I know there are other forums for this kind of stuff but i'm upgrading so I can run the Thirdwire games better so I think it applies enough to post here !

running a sli 9600gt well,all tw series maxed out!maybe I'm planning to sell em' and replace by a single 9800x2 in near future