Sign in to follow this  
Muesli

Supposed WWII skeleton found dangling above Kokoda Track

If it's a Japenese body, then I couldn't care less. That generation's culture during the war was an absolute disgrace. Read the Knights of Bushido if you don't believe me. Thankfully, Japanese generations since have been alot more civilised.

Frankly, this skeleton now serves a purpose, it supports an assortment of life and is now part of a rich ecosystem in one of the few areas in the world where biodiverstiy is relatively untainted by human greed. Let it stay, and let us not forget that it now supports our existence on this planet.

In my opinion, what this man needs is a punch to the skull.

Dead bodies fertilise the ground, nothing more.

Respect should be saved for the living.

Dead people should live on in our memories.

Hanging in a tree for over 60 years is one of the most natural ways to give your body back to the earth

Okay guys, which is it?

*ssholes or retards?

Both? I think it's both.

Edited by Longestpants

In my opinion, what this man needs is a punch to the skull.

He was taking the piss dude. Although, judging by some of the other comments there, I do find some odd pride in knowing that, despite being a relatively small nation, our percentage of tards to total population is still way up there in the global rankings. We have to be in the top 5 at least!

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi! :tongue:

He was taking the piss dude. Although, judging by some of the other comments there, I do find some odd pride in knowing that, despite being a relatively small nation, our percentage of tards to total population is still way up there in the global rankings. We have to be in the top 5 at least!

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi! :tongue:

I sometimes wonder where the US stands on there. :D

God, I can't decide whether the blinding stupidity on that comment board makes we want to weep with frustration, or go on a bloody rampage.

In my honest opinion:

Whether the remains are Allied or Axis, WW2 or maybe from later date,

this used to be a human being and as such deserves more respect

than being called a fertilizer.

I think most people placing the retard comments there have never

been in a situation remotely similar to war. Well, the armchair-generals

probably know best......

For the deceased person in question: R.I.P.

Strangely enough, I meant other comments pointing out that the body seems to well preserved for 60 years up there, the tree looks too young, the find too convenient for some local buisnesses etc. Kinda reminds of The Simpsons episode in which they found an angel's skeleton and everyone were amazed and the skeleton told them about the end of the world and the whole thing turned out to be a publicity stunt for the local mall.

I find it hard to believe the skeleton is still intact after hanging in a tree through decades of storms!

I find it hard to believe the skeleton is still intact after hanging in a tree through decades of storms!

Same here! Wouldn't the bone be exceptionally fragile after all these years? Not to mention the material of the straps?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out its not a skeleton at all. The straps would have certainly worn through after 60+ years, those relatively weak branches couldn't support a body for long, especially through a storm. The moss would have also had to grow pretty quickly and thickly over all of the body to keep it together, onces the muscles, tendons and ligaments decay, very few bones stick together.

Skepticism aside, its good they closed the comments for the story, and if it turns out to be the remains of a pilot, they deserve to be identified if possible and burried with dignity.

In my honest opinion:

Whether the remains are Allied or Axis, WW2 or maybe from later date,

this used to be a human being and as such deserves more respect

than being called a fertilizer.

I think most people placing the retard comments there have never

been in a situation remotely similar to war. Well, the armchair-generals

probably know best......

For the deceased person in question: R.I.P.

right on!

:salute:

right on!

:salute:

I'll second that. Should the person be genuine, R.I.P, and I apologise for casting my doubts.

If not, I can not tell how much I would despise the 'person' (in this case I use the term VERY loosely) who would fake such a thing.

What surprises me is not the fact that remains were found, it's the comments made in poor taste and ignorance. Unless you are a vet of that war or have family that in some way were harmed by the Japanese, STFU!

I've mentioned my uncle in the past, he was a Wake Island Survivor and POW until his liberation at the end of the war. While he carried a world of pain and heartache with him until he passed, he told me once that he was beyond hate, it wouldn't change anything. It was something that has stayed with me for over 30 years.

As for the ones who make the kind of statements found in earlier posts, you must be proud of your ignorance as you show it very well.

What surprises me is not the fact that remains were found, it's the comments made in poor taste and ignorance. Unless you are a vet of that war or have family that in some way were harmed by the Japanese, STFU!

I've mentioned my uncle in the past, he was a Wake Island Survivor and POW until his liberation at the end of the war. While he carried a world of pain and heartache with him until he passed, he told me once that he was beyond hate, it wouldn't change anything. It was something that has stayed with me for over 30 years.

As for the ones who make the kind of statements found in earlier posts, you must be proud of your ignorance as you show it very well.

Sorry if I came across as tactless or without taste. I was merely expressing my opinion.

As for family affected the Japanese, my Australian grandfather fought them too. He was in the Australian Army.

My family has a long and proud military history, including my English grandfather who flew against the Germans in the RAF, my father who fought with the Australian Army in Vietnam, who still carries the physical and psychological scars of that war, my sister who served in Iraq for two tours, and I myself served in the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy. I hear disrespectful and tactless things said about our honoured fallen, and read terribly disrespectful things written about our honoured fallen, every day, and like you it makes my blood boil.

In writing on this post, I was merely casting an opinion on an event, which if true will mean final closure for a family left incomplete, or if fake, is nothing short of a desecration of the memory of all of the fallen. I meant no offence in anything I have written, and so apologise if I have.

An update on this story from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7599398.stm

The suspected remains of a WWII airman discovered in a jungle region of Papua New Guinea have turned out to be the moss-covered branches of a tree.

The Australian military sent a team to investigate the "body" only to discover it was a branch tangled in vines.

An Australian Defence Force (ADF) statement said that although the location of the find was below a flight path commonly used by Allied aircraft during WWII sorties, the "remains" were in fact a moss-covered branch.

The ADF said that no remains had been found.

"It appears the branch has broken off the main tree and fallen across some vines, which from the ground, could have been confused with the body of an airman," the ADF statement continued.

Hundreds of Australians lost their lives fighting off a Japanese invasion of Papua New Guinea.

Japanese losses were several times heavier.

The hillsides around the Kokoda Trail are littered with rusting guns, grenades and mortars - reminders of the WWII battles fought there.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad at this turn of events.

An update on this story from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7599398.stm

The suspected remains of a WWII airman discovered in a jungle region of Papua New Guinea have turned out to be the moss-covered branches of a tree.

The Australian military sent a team to investigate the "body" only to discover it was a branch tangled in vines.

An Australian Defence Force (ADF) statement said that although the location of the find was below a flight path commonly used by Allied aircraft during WWII sorties, the "remains" were in fact a moss-covered branch.

The ADF said that no remains had been found.

"It appears the branch has broken off the main tree and fallen across some vines, which from the ground, could have been confused with the body of an airman," the ADF statement continued.

Hundreds of Australians lost their lives fighting off a Japanese invasion of Papua New Guinea.

Japanese losses were several times heavier.

The hillsides around the Kokoda Trail are littered with rusting guns, grenades and mortars - reminders of the WWII battles fought there.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad at this turn of events.

I think some people will be tinged with sadness that a missing relative hasn't been found.

Maybe this will make the media check their sources more closely next time instead of rushing to be FIRST!!!!!!!111111111111111 when reporting it.

Nah.

Maybe this will make the media check their sources more closely next time instead of rushing to be FIRST!!!!!!!111111111111111 when reporting it.

Nah.

media responsibility, media ethics, media competence.

aren't those all oxymorons. (emphasis on the morons.....)