Sign in to follow this  
redrooster

A question about carrier operations in JT

Hi,

I have some questions about what carrier operations will be like in Jet Thunder.

1. I don't now if either the Argentineans or the British had a Landing Signal Officer or used a light system for guiding planes in for landing, but whatever they used, will Jet Thunder recreate the landing aids for carriers that were used during the conflict?

2. Will the ARA 25 de Mayo have catapult launches? If so, how will they be implemented? Does the player taxi up to a set position at the catapult on the deck and automatically get launched, or will the player taxi up to the catapult and manually acitvate it as well as setting the catapult speed? Also, when landing with the arresting wire, will the wire be visible and will we be able to see the plane snag it and watch it extend?

3. I saw some pictures awhile back in another of the ARA 25 de Mayo in her current state of rendition in JT. At the time it was mentioned that the model was a low res version, has it been upgraded. Also, are there any pictures of the the HMS Hermes or HMS Invincible in JT yet?

Thanks for your reply! I'm really looking forward to this sim,

redrooster

Very interesting questions, hope the developers answer these questions soon.

Some time ago, I linked detailed photos of ARA 25 de Mayo that would be perfectly useful to make a 3D model in high resolution.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=27598

And finally, about argentine carrier, it had two catapults exactly

Saludos! :good:

Hi,

I have some questions about what carrier operations will be like in Jet Thunder.

1. I don't now if either the Argentineans or the British had a Landing Signal Officer or used a light system for guiding planes in for landing, but whatever they used, will Jet Thunder recreate the landing aids for carriers that were used during the conflict?

2. Will the ARA 25 de Mayo have catapult launches? If so, how will they be implemented? Does the player taxi up to a set position at the catapult on the deck and automatically get launched, or will the player taxi up to the catapult and manually acitvate it as well as setting the catapult speed? Also, when landing with the arresting wire, will the wire be visible and will we be able to see the plane snag it and watch it extend?

3. I saw some pictures awhile back in another of the ARA 25 de Mayo in her current state of rendition in JT. At the time it was mentioned that the model was a low res version, has it been upgraded. Also, are there any pictures of the the HMS Hermes or HMS Invincible in JT yet?

Thanks for your reply! I'm really looking forward to this sim,

redrooster

we will our best to make it authentic feeling. its these extra details we can certainly do, but will have to make a decision on - there is a saying that, all games are eventually abandoned: the game gets released but there was always more that could be done. So there are priorities and secondaries and so on. I think obviously the in game feeling should feel authentic and dangerous from take off to landing. - not so sure about having a harrier lifted onto deck via the lift - then moved about. or operation flashpoint style - walk up to it, hop it!

for the demo we're working on, it will be take off, fly the mission trying not to die. we are most concerned with AI to represent the agents in the battle/mission, the feeling of the flight models and graphical audio feel.

we are wondering if anybody can speek english with a spanish accent for demo purposes.

also, what do people think? should jet thunder be like IL2 with subtitled speech but authentic voices in native languages - or should it have accented speech. so in spanish version, you would have english depicted with english accented spanish speech - without subtitles and visa versa.

as in playing a game like company of heroes, were the germans speak english but sound germanic.

__

i am one of the programmers, i'm not sure what state the argentine carrier is in.

Edited by flying_squirrel

For the voices, I'd go with authentic voices in the native languages. If you're going for authenticity, that would seem to be the way forward (subtitles work well enough in Il-2).

As for the Argentine carrier........................ as she never did much during the conflict, it hardly seems necessary to focus on flight deck operations/cat launches.

Thanks for the update flying_squirrel! I also agree that JT should have the native language for the country that is flying the aircraft and subtitles in enlish/spanish depending on whether a person is using a english or spanish version of the sim.

redrooster

I think the accents. As long as it's not done cheesily.

The problem with Il-2 is that the lines of text going up and down were an immersion killer, and made me less likely to play the Russian side (German I understand, and could switch off the text).

Yeah different tastes, I like the il2 method also, subtitles might be a bit of immersion killers, but authetnic language lifts up the immersion level much more than subtitles decrease it - for me

I would say whatever you find easier to do, I might be mistaken but I don't think anybody would find that very important either way you do it...

Edited by Brain32

And finally, about argentine carrier, it had two catapults exactly

che skorpion, estas seguro que el 25 de mayo tenia 2 catapultas? en las fotos veo solamente 1

15-25%20de%20Mayo-2.jpg

cubierta%20de%20vuelo2.jpg

me estoy quedando chicato? :blink:

salu2

che skorpion, estas seguro que el 25 de mayo tenia 2 catapultas? en las fotos veo solamente 1

Estaba convencido que disponia de dos catapultas, pero ahora viendo detenidamente solo veo una :blink::dntknw:

I was convinced she had two catapults, but now watching carefully I see only one :blink::dntknw:

02lg.jpg

http://www.histarmar.com.ar/Portaaviones/25deMayo.htm

Oops!

As for the Argentine carrier........................ as she never did much during the conflict, it hardly seems necessary to focus on flight deck operations/cat launches

NOO NOOOO.:)))

I've been waiting for a better carrier sim for a long time, and I've been watching the progress of JT. I understand your constraints all to well, but a better carrier sim is despetately needed in the "combat" flght sim world.

Creature

NOO NOOOO.:)))

I've been waiting for a better carrier sim for a long time, and I've been watching the progress of JT. I understand your constraints all to well, but a better carrier sim is despetately needed in the "combat" flght sim world.

Creature

A new carrier combat simulation is coming soon..And will be based as an addon for Flight simulator X accelleration..it will be WW2 pacific based using a CVN US carrier and a Japanese carrier all outfitted with wire traps. It (Will) include combat operations including dogfights against AI targets and (YES) there will be multiplayer of the same.. The multiplayer is being worked on now. You will fly either a Hellcat or a zero model.. As side shows-There will be an actual mission of the Doolittle raid where you will fly off a carrier in a B-25 and fly formation and bomb a target-and then later have to do a bail out by parachute and fly your parachute to a safe target landing..And also a Pearl harbor mission--Plus there will be submarine missions and other side missions..I will keep you informed here about progress and where this goes..It is great and will be great

post-34221-1228542092_thumb.jpg

That's interesting. How Microsoft FSX deals with damage/weapons and other combat stuff?