Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tazkiller

Impression of WOI ater the New Patch

Guest Tazkiller

Been reconstructing the New Hard Drive, old one died.

Purchased W.O.I. again from Third Wire.

Patched to August 2008 level.

Loaded:

Edward's Korean Terrains

Mirage Factory New Weapons Pack, Imported Fuel Tanks for the F-86 and MiG15.

Enhanced Explosion Packs 1, 2, 3 by C A Stary.

World War 2 Effects Pack by C A Stary.

Green Camouflaged Wooden Hangers by C A Stary.

Wide Sky V1.0 by Cellinsky.

Quicker Takeoffs_ WOI by CSB and Baffmeister.

Damage Tga Pack 2 by Wrench.

And of corse the Sabre/ Mig package by "The Crew".

First Comment on combat is Oh My God!!!!!!!!

This Sim is IMPROVING!!!!!!!

Friendly A.I. is deffinately better.

Flying with all settings on ""HARD" will deffinately give you a workout.

The ACMs by the A.I. are so much better. And even a little more believable.

My hats off to T.K. and crew for this New Installment!!!!!

Edited by Tazkiller

Ain't that wonderful?

And WW2/Korea props now actually fly... And fight!

Despite my only nitpick about the "IFF" feature that got removed, I think this patch is awesome! Especially with the enhancement with the AI (both friendly and enemy). First time being locked on and fired at in BVR was definately an experience. But the extra distance from the missile launch gives you time to prepare on how to evade the missiles. The one thing that did catch me by surprise was how parts of an enemy flight would break off and flank you from another position.

SO does thispatch allow the standard edition to work on vista or should i still wait.

After CA_STARY mentioned using the new patch WOI for his WW2 and Spanish Civil War installs, I gave it a shot with the A-Team's just released Spanish Civil War mod. Thank you CA_STARY for your most wise suggestion, because it works like a champ! The prop models appear to fly and fight just fine, unlike their general weirdness in the previous version of WOI.

After CA_STARY mentioned using the new patch WOI for his WW2 and Spanish Civil War installs, I gave it a shot with the A-Team's just released Spanish Civil War mod. Thank you CA_STARY for your most wise suggestion, because it works like a champ! The prop models appear to fly and fight just fine, unlike their general weirdness in the previous version of WOI.

I find personally flying and fighting props much better now in WOI with this patch than in standard SFP1/WOE/WOV install.

Remember to do standard open-save dance on weaponsdata.ini included with Spanish Civil War in WOI version of weapons editor, not doing so results in no iron.

Another thing I noticed is that patch improves a lot terrain following by AI, essential in rough Spanish terrain.

Nice and realistic IMO is to watch enemy planes suffering fatal spins sometimes :minigun:

And is it just me, or the bullet efficiency has been reduced? Not sure about this, might be the new SCW gundata.

man, I can't wait to afford WOI. And a new computer.

I'm also looking foreward to the SFP1 patch, although I am a bit dissapointed that it's the last one.

I'm also looking foreward to the SFP1 patch, although I am a bit dissapointed that it's the last one.

If it brings SFP1 to WOI August patch level, now that would be great enhancement.

Been reconstructing the New Hard Drive, old one died.

Purchased W.O.I. again from Third Wire.

Patched to August 2008 level.

Loaded:

Edward's Korean Terrains

Mirage Factory New Weapons Pack, Imported Fuel Tanks for the F-86 and MiG15.

Enhanced Explosion Packs 1, 2, 3 by C A Stary.

World War 2 Effects Pack by C A Stary.

Green Camouflaged Wooden Hangers by C A Stary.

Wide Sky V1.0 by Cellinsky.

Quicker Takeoffs_ WOI by CSB and Baffmeister.

Damage Tga Pack 2 by Wrench.

And of corse the Sabre/ Mig package by "The Crew".

First Comment on combat is Oh My God!!!!!!!!

This Sim is IMPROVING!!!!!!!

Friendly A.I. is deffinately better.

Flying with all settings on ""HARD" will deffinately give you a workout.

The ACMs by the A.I. are so much better. And even a little more believable.

My hats off to T.K. and crew for this New Installment!!!!!

Tazkiller,

Are all the above mods available in the download section of CA here?

Tazkiller,

Are all the above mods available in the download section of CA here?

Just about everything is dude. Have a butcher's through the download section to see what's available. :good:

Only managed to load-up the new patch last night onto WoI.

So far haven't noticed too much difference, but still need a bit more evaluation time.

All my add-on planes seemed to still work and no CTDs yet.

Did notice that the Shilka now seems to sit hull deep in the dirt for some reason. Looks like it's stuck in the mud. Now why would that change?

I didn't notice too much difference in the AI. Took a MiG-17 up against 8 Mirage IIICJs and whacked 6 of them, which is similar to pre-patch.

Mosquito's FM still making it roll really fast and enter into flat spins which it can't recover from.

Vampire's shadow is really strange.

Will keep digging.

Edited by BattlerBritain

The Vampire and Mustang shadow issue was covered in another thread by me.

Simple fix: go into the main ini (ie: P-51D-30.ini), and change the cast shadow line from True to FALSE. That'll take care of that

Wrench

kevin stein

Some very scarily impressive stuff with the Enemy A.I. Did a sweep mission in a F-16C, took out the 4 primary targets (Mig-25PU) and began the flight back to base. Past waypoint 7 onto 8, I call my flight to RTB. Just as they break formation to RTB, my RWR starts sounding off that someone is tracking me. Words out of my mouth were, "WTF!?" Can't call back the flight 'cause they're told to RTB (to bad that never got fixed) so I'm now out on my own. I got two limas on my wings, so I decided to turn towards the threat to see what's chasing me. Turns out to be two more Foxbats. I roll over and pull back to dive from 8,000' to about 1,500'. This breaks the lock from the Mig (guess ground clutter screwed up his ability to track me) and I roll out from the dive, going head on with this guy. I punch in burners for a high speed pass. My 9L gets a lock and I fire. Boom, splash 1. I lock up the 2nd Mig (which is about 6 nm in front of me and closing, and got a visual of him.... big exhaust ploom) and fire my remaining winder. It misses! He passes above me with about 20' of air between us. I pull up for a split-s, almost blacking out. When I pull out of the slit-s, i'm inverted and barely able to regain a visual of the 25. He aparently, decided to go into a turning fight instead of pressing on. I roll over and level out behind him. Apparently, the A.I. has a good fight or flight mentality programed into them, 'cause, guessing that his RWR started going off that I was tracking him from his 6, he kicked in the burners and really started to haul away from me. Looked down at the closure rate and it started to go into the minuses. I checked out my map really quick to see where we were going, and he was heading right back to my base (I'm guessing he's trying to get a chance to take out my flight that was preparing to land). So I kick in the afterburners. Suddenly, he dives straight for the deck, breaking my lock. I roll over to match his moves and regain the lock and it becomes a zig zag chase over the desert (btw, F-16C can easily out maneuver a Mig-25, especially mine). I get within gun range and let off a nice 76 rounds... 16 hit and clips this guy's wings. Even though the A.I. lost this fight, I was really impressed by how it utilized it's radar, waiting for me to send everybody home before locking me up, and then try to break my lock when I was pursuing it. This sim is a heck of a lot better!

Edited by serverandenforcer

The Vampire and Mustang shadow issue was covered in another thread by me.

Simple fix: go into the main ini (ie: P-51D-30.ini), and change the cast shadow line from True to FALSE. That'll take care of that

Wrench

kevin stein

Cheers Wrench - missed that one. :ok:

Not sure if this was there pre patch but my flight in the previous 2 campaigns all had Neshers / Shahaks that can supercruise. I turn on my burner - and they stay in military power regardless - and keep up with me no problem!

Beginning to think i need to reinstall tbh

Not sure if this was there pre patch but my flight in the previous 2 campaigns all had Neshers / Shahaks that can supercruise. I turn on my burner - and they stay in military power regardless - and keep up with me no problem!

I noticed that too. Kind of weird.

Another new features I noticed are fuel leaks and structural limits.

I was flying my trusty P-26A against bunch of Zekes, I scored few hits on one's wings... He started to loose fuel from his FTs:

I was observing him from slightly above. After several seconds one of the fuel tanks either run out of gas or self-healed:

Then the other wing stopped bleeding and his prop windmilled. Pretty!

As for the structural limits take your plane high, dive to gain speed, pull hard on the stick. Wings off in my case...

This patch is soo cool!

Actually, I wonder if that's a side effect of their better formation station keeping. I notice now that when I tell my wingmen to get into a close formation...they do it RIGHT NOW (which all good wingies do) even from fairly long distances.

FastCargo

Yeah, the fuel and coolant leaks seem to be finally working right. That Zeke probably ran outta gas; don't forget the A6M2 NOT seal sealing. Lucky it just didn't blow up!!!

Engine hits are righteous too!!! I was flying a Tomahawk, and got engine zapped....it went awful quite except for the wind whistling through all the holes, and the prop spun down and stopped - from the outside view AND INSIDE THE COCKPIT!!!

Now, if we could just fix the departures....oh, WW2 FM Gurus...we have some work for you!!! :rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

I notice now that when I tell my wingmen to get into a close formation...they do it RIGHT NOW

Yep, quite noticeable that!

And they follow you closely. Even in tight turn. AI keeps formations nicely. In the past fast-turning 90 deg to the side resulted in whole flight scattred all over the sky.

Mosquito's FM still making it roll really fast and enter into flat spins which it can't recover from.

I'm guessing the patch fixed the sim's FM engine and the FM models of the stock WoI aircraft. It wouldn't fix the FM model of add-on aircraft. Someone who's smarter than I am will have to fix the Mossie's FM model to keep it from going into uncontrollable spins, now.

Ranger

Remember to do standard open-save dance on weaponsdata.ini included with Spanish Civil War in WOI version of weapons editor, not doing so results in no iron.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do I have to do if I want to use this SFP1 addon with WOI?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bernd

Spanish Civil War? This is an A-Team release is it?

At the least you need the terrain and the WOI weapons editor - but if the mod uses something only in SFP1 it wont work - also you may get some funny handling from the planes if they are SFP1 flight models. Does the readme say anything useful in this regards?