Sign in to follow this  
JSF_Aggie

My first trip to the UK....

Assuming things go as scheduled (ha), I'll be making a work trip to Farnborough, for 2-3 weeks, mid-October.

What are the better Aviation Museums to see? The closer to Farnborough the better, as I don't think I'll have much time to myself.

Thanks

Assuming things go as scheduled (ha), I'll be making a work trip to Farnborough, for 2-3 weeks, mid-October.

What are the better Aviation Museums to see? The closer to Farnborough the better, as I don't think I'll have much time to myself.

Thanks

Well I live in Sussex on the coast of England less than an hours drive from Farnborough and within easy driving distance of Farnborough in the South there is only Tangmere Aviation Museum which is just outside Chichester and based at a former Battle of Britain air station. It mainly concerntrates on early british jets and the Battle of Britain and is certainly worth a look.

http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/index.php

Overall the best and most comprehansive aircraft collection is at Duxford in Cambridgeshire which would be more likely a day trip from Farnborough

the Imperial War Museum in central London is also worth a visit if you make it to London.

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/ Duxford

http://london.iwm.org.uk/?PHPSESSID=5e8488...3c9f69872523a7d Imperial War Museum

The weather over here in the south of England is somewhat unsettled at the moment plenty of almost tropical showers with humid afternoons so dress accordingly.

Lazboy

If you get to go into London, I suggest that you stop by the Imperial War Museum. It has some neat stuff as well.

If you can only visit one aviation museum, you probably have a more fully evolved social life than I do, however I'd recommend Duxford too.

I am of course duty bound to big up the Fleet Air Arm Museum here at drizzly Yeovilton, but realisticly it's probably a bit too much of a trek from Farnborough.

I was just thinking...is there anywhere that's really too far to drive to over there? I mean, how long does it take to drive from London to Glasgow, say, leaving out the downtown traffic?

I was just thinking...is there anywhere that's really too far to drive to over there? I mean, how long does it take to drive from London to Glasgow, say, leaving out the downtown traffic?

On a map the distances may no appear that far but in the UK we do not have the vast highway network that exists in the USA, most Americans who visit the Uk for the first time are surprised at just how narrow our normal roads are and how busy they are and how fast we drive on them. I for one wouldn't consider driving from London to Glasgow and back in a single day depending on the traffic it could take the best part of a day one way.

Lazboy

Thanks guys.

It looks like a 1.5 hour drive from Farnborough to Duxford.

I'm hoping to have at least one free Saturday. It's mainly a question of if I'm brave enough to get a car and drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

Thanks guys.

I'm hoping to have at least one free Saturday. It's mainly a question of if I'm brave enough to get a car and drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

You'll be alright go for it my cousins when they visit from America always have problems with the concept of roundabouts , but just remember to give way to traffic coming from the right and look out for speed cameras they are everywhere. Duxford won't disappoint and will be worth the effort.

Lazboy

Would recommend Duxford if you can - similar distance from London but north whereas Farnborough is Oxfordshire (north West of London)

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/

I went to Duxford when I was a boy, it's a great museum it's what got me interested in aviation.

i live in farnborough,im sure when u get here you`ll want to get away from it as fast as poss..lol...theres a tiny display at farnborough airport..but very tiny...harrier/lightning/hunter...few others....an about 5 mins away is aldershot,home of the brit army...the d day display and a nice dakota is ok...theres alot of unknown little places around that area of army vehicles...and hawley woods is near where you get woken up about 6 am with tanks training,and you can get a good view of brit army training there...

Thanks guys.

Yes, but no one has yet to mention the RAF Museum in Hendon, North London, and they have a collection that's worth the trip - especially if you're short on time. Save you driving further around the world's largest car park - the M25 - towards Cambridge and Duxford!

Hendon is here: http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/index.cfm

The collection is here: http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/collect...-collection.cfm

Map location is here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...757813&z=10

BTW, perhaps you could bring some Sun with you, if it's not too much trouble.

Cheers, regards, comrpnt.

I shall echo everyone and shout out for Duxford, it's always a good visit, you may even get lucky and see some warbirds flying, there's usually a few up and about. It'll cost you 16 quid to get in. If you are in London at all, Hendon is worth a visit too, it's got a great collection and the best part is that it's totally free. Have a good trip Brian!

Also consider the Science Museum in South Kensington, central London. It has the prototype Harrier, the Supermarine S6B seaplane and the Schneider trophy if I remember correctly.

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseu...ies/flight.aspx

On the off chance that you are in the North West near Birmingham, definitely go to Cosford which has masses of experimental and cold war types.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/

I'll be stopping through on my way home from this deployment in a few weeks. Hopefully the weather is decent and I have some daylight left to visit the Lakenheath or Coningsby approaches for a few photos. That's my idea of relaxation after this trip.

Storm

On a map the distances may no appear that far but in the UK we do not have the vast highway network that exists in the USA, most Americans who visit the Uk for the first time are surprised at just how narrow our normal roads are and how busy they are and how fast we drive on them. I for one wouldn't consider driving from London to Glasgow and back in a single day depending on the traffic it could take the best part of a day one way.

Lazboy

LOL, well, considering it can take you the better part of a day to drive from one end of Florida to another (Pensacola to Key West), my point still stands! Things are a little different in the "old" states in the Northeast, but the rest of them are pretty big and traffic precludes you from getting too far too quickly.

it can take you the better part of a day to drive from one end of Florida to another

Same for the UK, I drove from Petershead (NE Scotland) to The Lizard (SW England) and it took 12 hours, still two better than google maps reckoned.

I'll be stopping through on my way home from this deployment in a few weeks. Hopefully the weather is decent and I have some daylight left to visit the Lakenheath or Coningsby approaches for a few photos. That's my idea of relaxation after this trip.

Storm

I saw a couple of F-15s turning & burning near the pattern at Lakenheath on Monday while I was biking in Thetford forest. But then that's not unusual for that part of the world.