Sign in to follow this  
navychief

I Said Goodbye To Armand Today......

My friends, I had to say goodbye to my little buddy, Armand, this morning. For the past few weeks, I watched him seemingly recover from his illness - only to see him get sick again, and quit eating. Last night was the worst I had seen him. He was so weak, he could not walk without falling down. It hurt me to see him in such a state. My once proud Siamese cat, who used to "rule" the house, could not even manage to walk across the room.

After talking to our vet, and trying to decide what was best for Armand, I had to let him go. The next step would have been to put in a feeding tube, and the vet said that he might not have tolerated the sedative, as his physical state was so weak.

It broke my heart to say goodbye to him. I kissed and held him, crying all the time, and so did the vet. Armand was my closest friend for quite some time, and he got me through a very rough time when I went through a divorce.

I will miss him terribly. Losing a pet is something I have not had to do, personally. When I was younger, our family dog was put to sleep while I was on leave, so I was not there to deal with the grief. It wasn't until I came home, that I learned of her passing.

And so, my decision to let Armand go was not easy. If I had let them do more testing, feeding tube, etc..., there was no guarantee that any of those measures would have worked, and indeed, would have caused Armand more and more stress. I would have been keeping Armand alive for me, and that would be selfish.

Sorry I have rambled on so much. Thanks for being my friends when I need the support the most.

Navychief

So sorry to hear this Chief, you must have loved him very much to have put his needs above your own..not many people can do that! I'm sure Armand loved you as much as you loved him.

My sympathies to you. I had to put my first Malamute down a couple of years ago, all because of a stupid 8 year old. I took me some time to get over it. I'm still not sure I've gotten over her, but I have gotten much better at dealing with her loss. I have another Malamute, and though Abby is not Kyra, there are some quirky similarities that not only crack me up, but leave me thinking that Kyra is never really gonna be gone. Good Luck.

All our thoughts are with you buddy... :(

No apology nessesary chief. I think you made the right decision. But even knowing your right sometimes doesnt make it any easier. God bless shipmate... :(

sorry for your loss Chief,it's funny how it effects you and everyone when you lose a pet,or better yet a 4 legged family member.

sorry to hear about your loss navychief but try and look at it that the cat is now in a better place and doesnt suffer of feel pain.......im not religious but just think its a nice way of looking at things.

I used to breed the long haired version of the siamese and they are great pets.

Pets are better companionship than people in alot of cases ;)

Oh Chief, I am so sorry. :(

:( My deepest sympathies Chief. I lost my MissyYu to cancer last year, and to make that decision to end her pain was the hardest thing I've had to do.

My cats are family members first, pets second, and loved always.

Hang in there Shipmate

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am still in a kind of shock, I suppose. Several times each day, I think I see glimpses of Armand walking in our house, but realize it is one of our other cats. I love them all, but Armand was something special.

He was my buddy; my best friend.

Thanks again.

Pete Ward, aka Navychief

Chief,

I am so sorry to hear about this. I understand a little of what you must have been going through, as I had to make the decision to "put down" my dog of 11 years this past March. It was the hardest thing I ever did, and life will never be quite the same. I miss my dalmatian, Halligan, beyond belief, especially being an only child.

All the best...