Sign in to follow this  
Panther

New Korean Terrain?

Hello to all!!

Being a Koran War lover and after watching "Bridges of Toko-Ri" again :biggrin: Want to ask the current status of the new Korean terrain and if is possible to see some pics of it. I watched this forum for some time now, and will like to see the development of the terrain

Thank's and keep up the good work!!

Edited by Panther

You'll have to ask CA_Stary; he was redoing it (completly retiled, all new trees, lots of goodies and such).

I just went back to my rebuild for Modern Korea, but since it's been a while, I have to figure out where I left off!!! btw, watch out for the SA-5 battery near Kaesong (where a REAL one exists!) That bitch can target and shoot at you whilst still over Seoul!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

You'll have to ask CA_Stary; he was redoing it (completly retiled, all new trees, lots of goodies and such).

That terrain was by me, CA_Stary did the trees, and you gave us your target layouts. The terrain is on hold indefinitely as I have neither skills or time(actually the real reason) to do the targets.

If somebody (serious) want's to do the targets, by all means contact me...

Opps..sorry Brain! Forgot it was your project to begin with!

Shouldn't the targets just import straight over?? Or are there placement issues due to the additional trees??? I have an early version here, and was actualy looking at it yesturday (albeit with the Modern Target layouts). A lot of the cities and airfields ARE covered with with trees....target placement is MY fault in those cases.

After I finish the Solomons (waiting for new trees too!), and finishing off the Modern Korea, I promised Ghostrider883 I'd try and start on the Kashmir (Indo-Pak) terrain for targetization...plus all the other little projects (skins, plane mods etc. NOTE TO SELF: finish readme for Rufe, and release)

Wrench

kevin stein

Maybe is possible to release the new Tileset and trees for use with the old Korea terrain If they are compatible??

Shouldn't the targets just import straight over??

No my terrain looks siginficantly different, I mean I didn't cover exact same coords. The main problem with the targets is orientation, bridge being some 300m away from the river, port cranes are in water, etc...

Maybe is possible to release the new Tileset and trees for use with the old Korea terrain If they are compatible??

They are not compatible, I may release an unfinished beta but not on CA as I don't want CA's bandwidth to be wasted by unfinished stuff...

Wrench and CA_Stary, this is something we should all agree upon so please contact me via PM or even here so we can sort it out, thx.

Hey, Brain! I actually started looking at it late day-before-yesturday. Worked onit all day yesturday. I gotta tell ya, them new tiles are utterly fantastic!! And the trees!!!!! And the rivers!! Finally, an almost totally accurate depiction of Penninsula!!

I stopped work (temporarially) on the Modern Korea rebuild of FNG2K/Edwards version, which is about 85% complete

I've started re-targetizing it, moving/changing stuff around, adding targets. I even finagnled a few 'new' tods for the cities, "borrowed" from another map and renamed to have high-rise buildings at Seoul, and general smaller buildings on the other city tiles. I may not be able to re-tile things, but I work around my limitations (to a point!!)

My first question is:

what era are we shooting for???

1950-1959 (pre SAM, Korean War Era) or Later, 1960-to present.

Depending on the time frame 'required', it may be better to have 2 variants of the map (simply done by renaming of main files ie: Korea.TFD and KoreaMOdern.TFD; essentially the same map, but 2 complete units, with differing targets inis -- for modern, there's a LOT more NK air bases to add, which would mean re-tiling for airfield exclusion zones for at LEAST 5-10 (approx) target areas, including the Yongbyon Nuclear Center, Yukate Dong Naval Base, the northern army camp (at the tri-border region), Osan AFB, and several other places. (all of which are on the above mentioned rebuild)

OR, using the ActiveYear= line, have the SAM and other missile defense batteries placed, but inactive (expecially true for the SA-5 unit near Kaesong)

btw, you forgot Kimpo!!! I've added it, but it'll need an exclusion zone, as its southeren end is now camoflagued in a forest! Some cities (Suwon fer instance), might get the "large urban module" treatment; same with Fukuoka near Itazuke.

As is stands now, I'm looking at a more 1950s type of targets layout. Again, it all depends on what you guys want! Right now, I've put every other project on hold, and am starting to concentrate on this version.

Let me know how/what direction it should go...

Wrench

kevin stein

@ Brain32, CA_Stary & Wrench, The

S!

:worship:

We are not worthy. This project sounds magnificent. Thanks for your efforts

Edited by Baltika

Wrench,

If you're asking the general community, I'd vote for both 1950-59 and Modern Korea.

Like I've said before, can't have too many terrains. :smile:

And, as always, I appreciate all the goodies you folks create and share.

Guest pfunkmusik

Once the Crimean area is done, I plan to do the Balkan Peninsula.

I REALLY want to do a Cold War Japan campaign, but I've downloaded two DEM files from the USGS website and the damn things are corrupted. Anything north of the 45th parallel is completely messed up and I cannot get it work correctly. It's some sort of corruption in the DEM files, because both of the files south of about the 45th is fine, perfect, even.

It's really pissing me off.

pfunk

How much beer to I have to buy for a modern Korea? :biggrin:

Is this an update on Edwards terrain which came with the Korean war update?

The one thing I really like about that Korean terrain is that you get a bit of Japan, Russia and China. Giving the option in campaigns for other nations to poke there noses in. And also I have from somewhere a winter version, which looks good with CA_Starys heavy snowfall mod.

Wrench will there be more Japanese airfields on the map?

Cheers

Snapper 21

Hey, Brain! I actually started looking at it late day-before-yesturday. Worked onit all day yesturday.

That's awsome news :yahoo:

what era are we shooting for???

1950-1959 (pre SAM, Korean War Era) or Later, 1960-to present.

Well anything of those sounds great to me if you need some re-tiling or flattening, just PM me the coords, that's not a lot of work and I'll squeeze it in to finish the terrain finally...

OK guys, I think you should know what are Wrench and me babling about :D

Here are 11 quick screenshots from new Korea_Autmn terrain:

img00001-6.jpg

img00002-4.jpg

img00003-6.jpg

img00004-3.jpg

img00005-3.jpg

img00006-3.jpg

img00007-1.jpg

img00008-2.jpg

img00009-2.jpg

img00010-2.jpg

img00011-2.jpg

Guest pfunkmusik

Whoa.

pfunk

Part of yesturday's work:

Yalu River bridges, as seen from the Dandong (PRC) side

yalu_river_bridges.jpg

you're looking at about 4 hours of work...AND I screwed up!!! There's only 2 bridges across the Yalu; one of them (in present day), has never been repaired after being dropped in the 50s. So I have to remove one of the rail bridges, and replace it with the vehicle/pedestrian bridge. In theupper middle distance, you can see the rail yard (now turned around and rebuild for a north/south orientation - which now give me 2 rail yards, E/W and N/S). And that one damn north entry ramp on the eastern bridge keeps getting misplaced; I'll dial it in today.

Pyongyang will be getting bridged, as will what I can figure out for Seoul as well. Air defense placments will be my standard type; ie, seperate target areas with period specifc weapons and such.

Lots of smaller changes, no pics yet -- I'll post some later.

Coordinates for Kimpo:

Position=274088,382471

Also, one of the PRC airbases need flattening, but I can't rmember which one. Do you have a current cities.ini I can have? Flattening airfileds is the ONE thing I can do in the TE!!! :haha:

Thanks, B!

As to the bases in Japan, just Itazuke (Fukuoka) and Iwakuni. I'm trying to figure out coords for some of the local cities, just for eye candy. Fukuoka is already added; need to figure out placements for Hiroshima and other around Iwakuni. Thank G*d for Google Earth!!

I have complete layouts ready for Camps Casey and Hovey, but don't know how they figure in on 1950s scenario; again simple renaming can create to completly new maps (Korea, KoreaModern), with attendant changes in targets inis.

Wrench

kevin stein

If you are still looking for input, modern Korea would be my vote; because a modern version has never been made available.

They'll be plenty of buildings...there's a lot already built into the TODs, plus I "imported" one from another map, that has some skyscraper types (thank you Polak!!), and of course, don't forget the "Large Urban Module".

docked ships at harbors, vehicle parks (ie: army bases), air defense units, industrial centers, train stations, flags for all the nations -- I'm still not decieded about creating any Easter Eggs (as I've had a habit of doing since building missions for ATF/FA oh, so many years ago)

Suffice it to say, a large, well know structure WILL be making an appearence as the Dear Leader's "Adult Movie House/Party Headquaters" -- and I DO mean party!!

I'm thinking 2 terrains here...1950 and Modern. It's just a matter of laying out the various target areas. Which, unfortunately, means a LOT more NK airbases, plus the addition of Osan in the South. Still haven't figure out where it goes....

Anybody want to bomb the Hyundai car factory??? :dntknw:

Wrench

kevin stein