Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

AIM-54C just became my new favorite missile

If employed properly (which I've figure out how to do), it can take out anything at almost any range. Just took out 4 Fulcrums waayyyyy beyond visual range. I'm getting 100% hits with this missile. Oh, and it's really fast! So far, I've gotten solid hits on Froggers, Flankers, Fishbeds, Foxbats, and Foxhounds. Not a single miss every time I lock up on one. I didn't tweak anything in the weapons editor. This missile is just amazing! Sorry, I couldn't keep this to myself and just had to post it. Nobody at home would understand my enthusiasm. Don't know why. :dntknw:

ooh! you evil man how dare you beat up on my favorite soviet plans

ehehhehehehee

planes sorry

post-33865-1220942362_thumb.png

What I did.

1. Make sure they fly straight towards you.

2. Slowly.

3. Get everyone to join the party.

So how do you properly employ them? Cause i tried and gave up.

If firing from long range (+50 nm), need to be below the target (preferably a couple thousand feet or so - this also helps you track them in TWS mode 'cause ground clutter kind of messes with the radar). If you can't get that low cause your target is flying pretty low, then you'll have to wait till you get within 40 nm. Oh, and now I can add the Fitter to my list of victims :biggrin: The Fitters started at 68 nm out when I began my attack. They were at 11,000' - 14,000' agl (they started climbing after the first missile was fired, I stayed at altitude). I, in an F-14A+ (what else wouldn't I be flying? :wink: ) was at about 8,000' agl. When I fired at them, it took about 15 -28 seconds for the missiles to hit. Oh, and don't switch targets. I haven't done multiple fires yet utilizing what the pheonix was supposed to do. So I don't know if switching from one target to another will affect the missile's ability to track the target. Supposedly, in this sim, if it's an AHM, it doesn't matter. But I'm superstitious. So I keep my target locked until the missile hits.

EDIT: Oh, and kct, they weren't flying directly towards me. Especially after when they got wind of what was happening. I've taken out targets that were flying perpendicular to my flight path just 'cause of the procedures above.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Just got done with a Fighter Sweep and yep took out 3 Mig-21s from over 50 miles, only thing is though, the radar can range to over two hundred miles but can only lock onto target in 50 mile range. Is there a way to change it?

Of course check the range for bore-sight or ACM under the F-14Avionics.ini

You easily can engage multiple targets, once each '54 has acquired its assigned target, by simply locking up another blip and firing (I've done so countless times). You cannot, however, track multiples, as that feature is not coded into the series.

While in TWS, select the target as you would in SEARCH and hit your acquire radar target button; you are now in Single Target Track mode and can fire your missile. After your first missile is away, use select next radar target and repeat.

TWS Mode:

When you go stright into TWS mode, it takes a few seconds before targets can be locked. Reason being is because it's attempting to track all targets first. Once all the targets have been tracked, you can now lock-up on to one. However, you have an additional option of selecting a target and get precise information on it prior to locking it up. Doing this allows you to know specifically what the target is doing with the target's RWR indicating that he/she is being tracked. Once within firing range, you can aquire (lock) the target and begin firing your missiles.

Firing multiple missiles:

Wait a few seconds before firing the next missile. You need to allow some time (usualy 3-5 seconds) for the missile to obtain it's own lock before switching to a different target. I do this with the AMRAAM, just wasn't sure how reliable the Pheonix was with it. I was just happy that I was able to reach out and touch someone. :diablo:

Guest pfunkmusik
TWS Mode:

When you go stright into TWS mode, it takes a few seconds before targets can be locked. Reason being is because it's attempting to track all targets first. Once all the targets have been tracked, you can now lock-up on to one. However, you have an additional option of selecting a target and get precise information on it prior to locking it up. Doing this allows you to know specifically what the target is doing with the target's RWR indicating that he/she is being tracked. Once within firing range, you can aquire (lock) the target and begin firing your missiles.

Wait a few seconds before firing the next missile. You need to allow some time (usualy 3-5 seconds) for the missile to obtain it's own lock before switching to a different target. I do this with the AMRAAM, just wasn't sure how reliable the Pheonix was with it. I was just happy that I was able to reach out and touch someone. :diablo:

Which is interesting...which version of the F-14 has a TWS mode in the avionics?

pfunk

I keep my targets at either between 10 to 11 o'clock, or 1 and 2 o'clock. That way, I know when my missile's acquired the target on its own (by watching its exhuast trail), and does not require further guidence from me.

TWS Mode:

When you go stright into TWS mode, it takes a few seconds before targets can be locked. Reason being is because it's attempting to track all targets first. Once all the targets have been tracked, you can now lock-up on to one. However, you have an additional option of selecting a target and get precise information on it prior to locking it up. Doing this allows you to know specifically what the target is doing without the target's RWR indicating that he/she is being tracked. Once within firing range, you can aquire (lock) the target and begin firing your missiles.

Typo.... I indicated the correction in RED

Which is interesting...which version of the F-14 has a TWS mode in the avionics?

pfunk

All versions do.

I keep my targets at either between 10 to 11 o'clock, or 1 and 2 o'clock. That way, I know when my missile's acquired the target on its own (by watching its exhuast trail), and does not require further guidence from me.

Yeah, it kind of "snakes" off and away.

Just got done with a Fighter Sweep and yep took out 3 Mig-21s from over 50 miles, only thing is though, the radar can range to over two hundred miles but can only lock onto target in 50 mile range. Is there a way to change it?

I'm glad it worked. I discovered it by accident when I decided to see how well the Pheonix would fire. I noticed that if the target was way below me, it would detonate prematurely. I know that in this sim, ground clutter can sort of mess-up with radar tracking, so I thought the same thing applied to the Pheonix. Good guess on my part.

Just another tip, if you know your target is flying around a mountainous area, or that there is a mountain between you and him, and if he is above the mountain, the minute he dives behind it, the missile will lose lock. Unfortunatley, in this scenario, you have to use shorter range weapons and fly low and fast to baffle the other guy's radar.

In short range engaments, such as where you're chasing the target around minimum range of the Pheonix, you can still succesfully use the pheonix to destroy the target, but it takes patience and timing. If the target is turning one direction, just wait for him to begin turning the other direction. The minute you notice that happening, point your aircraft to the guestimated point of impact with the missile and the target and fire the Pheonix. The target will either begin to turn back the direction it was originally going in an attempt to evade the missile (doing this only delays him/her there around that area of impact, allowing the missile an easier chance in maneuvering to hit the target) or the target doesn't turn the opposite direction and continues on it's new course of direction. While doing this, the target still has to deal with the inertia and momentum to begin traveling on it's new course of direction, in which you have already setup for the missile to travel. Essentially, the missile sort of becomes a rocket without any real need, or at the very least, minimum need to maneuver. Considering the speed of the pheonix when launched, it is a no win situation for the target. It is doomed.

So, I guess I'll stick to my superstitions, 'cause I did my first try with engaing multiple targets with the Pheonix, and I only got 1 hit out of the 4 (yes, I did it right; don't worry, I'm not that much of a dweeb). So... I'll stick to staying on target until target destroyed routine. All though, I didn't know it until the after action review that I was engaging a flight of J-10s. That might have something to do with it. :rolleyes:

Which is like one of the best the Reds have to offer...anyway, does ECM jamming have an effect on them? I find some of my Phoenixes succumbing to them.

I wish there was an accurate Russian Missile i've tried them all and no luck

the modern western fighters like the F-15,F-14 and F-22 don't give you such

a lucky long range hit.

now shooting down old vietnam era fighters with modern Soviet missiles are

alittle easier.

i guess its all relative.

Check the edits that lindr2 and the Soviet A2A missile tweakers did. Might not be as accurate as those from the West, but they got way more sharper teeth.

Edited by kct