Sign in to follow this  
ironroad

F!*&!# Amazing

I did not know footage in such clarity existed, I don't care for the music, but the footage is amazing, have never seen detailed photos or film of either the Thunderbirds or Blue Angles while they Flew the F-4 E/J .

F-4J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFxrSYqQFGs

A-4F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEd2PKPvBWQ...feature=related

Edited by ironroad

I would of loved to seen them as F-4's. That had to be one hell of a show.

It was...I was just a kid when I saw my first airshow...but I remember the T-Birds when they flew F-4s...it was AWESOME!

FastCargo

the phantom sure looks nice in those colours...

I didn't know they carried painted sparrows during aerobatics, though.

Just found another one

the phantom sure looks nice in those colours...

I didn't know they carried painted sparrows during aerobatics, though.

I think they were filled with oil for the smoke generators

Edited by ironroad

I would of loved to seen them as F-4's. That had to be one hell of a show.

it was one very, very impressive show. They had that thundering roar that you just never got from the Skyhawks. The Hornets come close but there is just nothing that compares to that feeling of power when those legendary beasts put on a show.

:good::clapping:

What I wouldn't give to see both Blue Angels & Thunderbirds live. And of course preferably the F-4 Constellations but that will never happen.

What I wouldn't give to see both Blue Angels & Thunderbirds live. And of course preferably the F-4 Constellations but that will never happen.

the Hornets are pretty close in the thundering beast department - and way more manueverable. So all in all a better show now using the Hornets and Lawn Darts on the AF side (excuse me - Falcons......)

but there was nothing that beat the Phantom for that feeling of raw, thundering power.

:clapping:

its nice when they come out here for the AFA graduation every year and the Navy - AF game. The Thunderbirds and Blues stage out of Peterson here so we get to see all the practice runs and the show if want to. And some of their turn points are right over my house. Way cool.

but there was nothing that beat the Phantom for that feeling of raw, thundering power.

I was once overflown by a brace of NJANG F-4Es back around 1985 or so, while I was out fishing 30-40 miles offshore of Atlantic City. You could feel the reverberations from their engines, traveling through the boat's hull, while they were inbound and still several miles off (sound travels through water twice as fast as it does through the air). I also recall regularly hearing sonic booms while out fishing, back then :biggrin:

Damn, how I miss working on the Phantom! It was never boring watching them fly the break to landing! When they lined up on the runway, you could always feel the power through the air when the afterburners kicked in. I even heated a few MREs using the exhaust during the pre taxi checks when we deployed for Coronet Oak. Ahh the memories!

Damn, how I miss working on the Phantom! It was never boring watching them fly the break to landing! When they lined up on the runway, you could always feel the power through the air when the afterburners kicked in. I even heated a few MREs using the exhaust during the pre taxi checks when we deployed for Coronet Oak. Ahh the memories!

I was in pilot training when the T-Birds put on a graduation show for the folks of the great state of Mississippi. The J-79 had a real unique howl, even in idle, and when they spooled up the earth shook. The close formation takeoff of the Birds or the Angels in the Rhino was something felt more than heard. The BAE Lightning had the same effect. Had the privilege of being close enough to the runway when a brace of them ripped the sky up over RAF Binbrook and got my hair foo-fooed in the process. Ah....those were the days when the sound of freedom was loud and clear.

"Ah....those were the days when the sound of freedom was loud and clear. "

Right On!!!!

:good:

"Ah....those were the days when the sound of freedom was loud and clear. "

Right On!!!!

:good:

Giddy up!

FastCargo

The first shot of the slot man sliding under the others is really wild!

I saw two Blue Angels shows in F-4s in 1973-74, Keene H.H. and South Weymouth Mass (the latter had a young lady die that day in an aerobatic demo in a Citabria, but the Blues flew later). One show in 1973 of the T-Birds in F-4s right here at Bradley IAP.

Still a great airplane, and all the more amazing with all the stuff about high AOA issues, etc.

Mike D.

We had the Angels and the T-birds here together a few years ago...2005 was it? 2003? I can't remember now.

I think I have that blue's video on VHS...

Guest 531_Ghost

Ah yes, I remember when... To watch the Blues at MCAS El Toro in their F4s was indeed a great show! The A4's were a bit (quite a bit) more nimble and fun to watch as well. The last show I saw at El Toro while they were flying A4s we lost our Base Chapel as one of them ploughed into it. I still cant get into their F/A 18 show. Not to mention, Miramar is a pain in the butt with 1/2 a million people trying to get in/out of the place for the air show. Anyway, I've got an airshow here almost every day! You shoulda seen the UH1Y doing the MACH run over the runway yesterday! It was AWSOME!

That close formation in the F-4 vid pilot's POV: makes me sweat just to watch it.

I remember the F-4J's on the carrier, I forgot that they were that maneuverable until I saw this. The first Blue Angel show I saw was with the Scooters, and I have pics from the "83 Pt Mugu airshow the year before they went to the Hornet.

Unless you have stood 20 feet from a Phantom in tension on the cat at full AB, you know nothing of the meaning of POWER.

thanks for the vids...

the Blue Angels are amazing :)

Guest 531_Ghost
Just found another one

I think they were filled with oil for the smoke generators

The smoke you see in the F4 video is coming from the fuel dump mast areas. There were two at the wing folds and one just below the rudder.