Sign in to follow this  
Jug

McCain's Scooter

Has anyone done a skin for John McCain's Scooter? Not sure what flavor or what unit, but it would be nice to ride along with him up North. I have asked this on another thread, but it got lost in the shuffle. Any help out there?

Fist of the Fleet has a VA-163 skin that I think is right.

YAP did a mission for it, so they must have made a skin. Otherwise, you could try fist of the fleet.

I don't wanna go wrong,but there's J.McCain mission included in YAP,I don't know if the skin is right or no!

Here's a screenie

Like I said in the screenshot thread; go to FotF and get the VA-46 and VA-163 (1967) skins and you're set.

Many thanks for the responses. I have YAP, but I bought all of them at once and haven't flown all the missions. Think I'll walk a soft mile in John-boy's shoes tonite up North. If I don't do so well, I won't have to pay as dearly, but I might get an idea of what it was like for him. Let's keep it on topic please.

Edited by 531_Ghost

I was with VA-46 earlier in his career...

.. so he had a Va-46 plane too ...

oo.. I mean VA-46 ...

Edited by Crusader

Let's keep it to the topic. "Vietnam Air Losses" lists McCain's A-4E as 149959 VA-163 off the Oriskany. Best guess as to the nose number.

Thanks for the laugh out loud though,

mike D.

Edited by 531_Ghost

oo.. I mean VA-46 ...

ah. Then I had better download and install that one too......!!

oo.. I mean VA-46 ...

err...

"He"... He was with VA-46....

damn.. have to stop posting at dark o thirty..

:ph34r:

IIRC (my resources are being shipped to Germany ATM) he flew 300 as in the YAP mission. I did research, using several sources for which aircraft were still active at the time of his mission - but the YAP mission set used the Oriskany on several mission so I varied the BuNos for the aircraft on deck.

I did make a list and was 80% accurate for aircraft that were not confirmed lost or destroyed for this timeframe (Oct '67) but that data is on my other computer.

Also, I think the Osprey A-4 units book has some data.

Edited by Crab_02

October 26, 1967:

A-4E Skyhawk BuNo. 149959 AH 300 was shot down by a surface-to-air missile (SAM) during a combat mission over North Vietnam. The pilot Lieutenant Commander John S. McCain III, successfully ejected and was made Prisoner of War.

http://www.skyhawk.org/3e/va163/va163.htm

Edited by Crusader

Wow 3 pow, 5 or so KIA on one cruise. and the squadron deactivated after that? I can"t imagine what it would be like. I like driving Scooters and Spads but I'm not sure I would want to fly a mission that was one of ours' bad day. I'd rather ditch a Spad and wait till it settles on the bottom and swim out as LTCDR John did. I guess thats why I'm here and not in a sage green zoom bag anymore.

V/R all! :ph34r: CL

(I removed the political comment.. Please keep it on topic, NO political comments please.)

Wow 3 pow, 5 or so KIA on one cruise. and the squadron deactivated after that? I can"t imagine what it would be like. I like driving Scooters and Spads but I'm not sure I would want to fly a mission that was one of ours' bad day. I'd rather ditch a Spad and wait till it settles on the bottom and swim out as LTCDR John did. I guess thats why I'm here and not in a sage green zoom bag anymore.

V/R all! :ph34r: CL

I think that was about the "fleet average' for awhile.

Many thanks for the responses. I have YAP, but I bought all of them at once and haven't flown all the missions. Think I'll walk a soft mile in John-boy's shoes tonite up North. If I don't do so well, I won't have to pay as dearly, but I might get an idea of what it was like for him. Let's keep it on topic please.

Let's see.....we're talking about John McCain's missions in the A-4. I requested some help on the topic and got some good responses from the membership, and I thought it would be appropriate to thank them.

Bye the way, I did fly a mission or two in John's scooter and it was just as much fun as I thought it would be. If all of that is off - topic, I can live with it.

Has anyone done a skin for John McCain's Scooter? Not sure what flavor or what unit, but it would be nice to ride along with him up North. I have asked this on another thread, but it got lost in the shuffle. Any help out there?

Yankee Air Pirate did it, here is my AAR on the mission at SimHQ

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?...880#Post2479880

If memory serves, his time with VA-46 was just as ill fated as his stint in VA-163.

he was involved in an incident aboard the Forrestal in which a zuni rocket accidently fired and triggered a huge explosion and subsequent fireball on the flight deck. McCain took schrapnel to his chest and legs while trying to get another pilot out of his plane when a bomb detonated.

Let's see.....we're talking about John McCain's missions in the A-4. I requested some help on the topic and got some good responses from the membership, and I thought it would be appropriate to thank them.

Bye the way, I did fly a mission or two in John's scooter and it was just as much fun as I thought it would be. If all of that is off - topic, I can live with it.

Dont see anything wrong with your reply tbh - not sure why that red writing appeared unless its meant to be funny.

Guest 531_Ghost

Jug, it was the Obama "mission" comment I edited out. That's all. Just trying to keep it to the topic and politics out.

Jug, it was the Obama "mission" comment I edited out. That's all. Just trying to keep it to the topic and politics out.

You're right, it was inappropriate. Forgot I put it in there. Mindcramp.