Sign in to follow this  
Vinsen

A10 Target Designation Question

I have been playing the demo now for a bit and I was wondering... If the A10 has no radar then how are the targets spotted? I know that ground forces can designate and that a FAC can also. But how would the FAC (in an A10) see them? Wait for a spike and look in that direction?

Is it just a case of keeping your eyes peeled or is there some other way IRST for example?

Oh and why doesn't it have a ground radar?

the Hog was designed to b a simple beast :) radar can be detected - ie. RWR- same as is carried by the hog :) nothing like sneeking up on someone and letting all hell break loose ;)

the MK1 eyeball is king of detecting targets ;)

Hogs are usually called on station by people on the ground under fire needing

assistance ? they come in to a situation after being briefed on route to the area by the FAC, its then upto the driver to sort the situation out when they arrive on scene and assess where to put their parcels

a spike is also a good indication of where the major threat to the driver is and should be delt with first b4 doing anything else.. its no good trying to attack an armoured column if your constantly trying to aviod air defenses..

(this just my observation from all my studies - i'm sure TG or MrMudd will fill in the blanks :))

the Hog was designed to b a simple beast :) radar can be detected  - ie. RWR- same as is carried by the hog :) nothing like sneeking up on someone and letting all hell break loose ;)

the MK1 eyeball is king of detecting targets ;)

Hogs are usually called on station by people on the ground under fire needing

assistance ? they come in to a situation after being briefed on route to the area by the FAC, its then upto the driver to sort the situation out when they arrive on scene and assess where to put their parcels

a spike is also a good indication of where the major threat to the driver is and should be delt with first b4 doing anything else.. its no good trying to attack an armoured column if your constantly trying to aviod air defenses..

(this just my observation from all my studies - i'm sure TG or MrMudd will fill in the blanks :))

The Hog was designed not only to be simple, but to be cheap. When it first came out, there was just an iron sight in it for weapons delivery. Radars cost money to buy and maintain. Pilot's eyes are already paid for.

Just as Yojimb0 said, the plane's made for CAS and does not have much use for radar, or at least didn't back in the 70s. It may have more use for one now in the new fighting environments (ground attack radar, that is) but I don't think it'll ever get one.

The Hog can however, use the Pave Penny pod to detect laser energy and will soon have a fleetwide ability to provide laser energy themselves for guiding weapons.