Sign in to follow this  
snapple2993

Nhl 2004 Review

I havent checked out the other company's hockey games. But if they are better than this I'll be amazed.

Last years NHL was a full on POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The graphics are like LOMAC graphics this year, and the game play and modeling is phenomenal.... maybe its the gold version from last years.... lotsa people thought they released a beta.... sure as hell looked and played like one.

Oh and the fights are intense this year, no more cheesy 2 punchers, now you can do all kinds a stuff.

This game is hot hot hot.... I recommend it..... IT LOOKS WAY BETTER THAN MADDEN.

Demo and Vid here: http://www.easports.com/games/nhl2004/downloads.jsp

I Liked the Demo,

But then again There was new developers this Year, EA Went with Black Box Studios, ANd they completely re=did the entire Game.

I Prolly wont buy it Cuz Im Partial to the Xbox Controllers And NHL 2004 isnt online for hte XBOX :(

Damn even the ice conditions change..... I CANT SCORE.... damn new hockey games, the AI always changes, its not like football where its..... pass da ball..... dahhhhh, run the ball, dahhhhhh tackle the guy with the ball.

Just jestin, I love football, played it for 2 hours tonight out infront of the Stadium.

Snapple 2993. You say that this is the game to play for the Ice-Hockey fan? I'm now just waiting for mine X-Box and than I shall buy this game.

And I always played for Detroit Red Wings :D

Salute

Dutchy

Well Dutchy, I was checkin out some of the press on gamespy, and apparently EA really got pissed about being blown away by NHL2k3 last year. So they stripped the game to nothin and started over. This games graphics are sick, the gameplay is really realistic (they arent calling it a sports game anymore, its now being called a sim) everything is just so good this year.

Oh guess what, they added 3 Euro leagues to the game. The Swedish, Finnish, and German Elite leagues are all in the game and playable.... I played against Djurgarden (Sweden) with the Leafs last night.

And they finally added a Madden type off season to the game.

Seriously, this is the best hockey game I have ever played, and I've played almost all of them.

But.... like DO said, there isnt going to be XBOX Live compatibility......... but I play on PC with my Gravis Eliminator (PS2 controller).

Cool reviews by you folks! I've been a long time NHL gamer going back to Blades of Steel on Nintendo. I had NHL 94 through 97 for Sega, and NHL 98 and 99 for Playstation. I recently picked up a bargain bin game pack from EA that included NHL 02, Fifa 02, Madden 02, and Tiger Wood 02 for $20 at Walmart or Target. The NHL game is buggy and freezes when I use my gamepad. I don't want to use the keyboard to play, so this blows. Luckily Madden and Tiger Woods is fun so the money wasn't waisted. :D

I'll have to check out NHL 04!

Alright I'm going to put in a little bit more detail in the gameplay here.

First keep in mind that these are the things that I have never seen before in a hockey video game.

-Players come back to the puck, this is great because the passing is very realistic (your passes arent dead on all the time). They will actually stop or turn their body to get the puck.

-You can poke at the goalie and he will give up the puck; no more of the goalie standing there with the puck on his stick and you cant get it. Goalies look to pass then they drop to their knees and cover it with their glove and back it up with their stick. (like a real goalie does).

-There are now real battles in the corners; crosschecks, shoving, pokechecks are all modeled, and the players are facing the glass digging at eachother.

-Fighting; now you choose when to fight, there is grapling, body shots, you can knock helmets off. This really looks like something they wanted to make look good.

-AI is disgusting this year. I'm seeing the computer dump and chase, and then throw the puck at the net. They are setting up plays now. Defensemen arent just skating around, they are protecting their side of the ice. Seriously the AI is really tuff this year, but I like it because it looks so realistic.

-Checking. No more of this big hit sh*t that knocks you to the ice and you sit there for 6 seconds. They have finally figured out that hockey isnt football, and the objective is to separate the player from the puck and not send the player flying across the ice.... now thats not to say that it cant be done, I've been rocked a few times, and the glass moves too. I need to check out some of the rinks with seamless glass to see if the glass moves there. When you get hit you dont just bounce, you lose your balance for a split second and then regain your feet, unless you keep getting roughed up and then you fall to your knees..... like in real hockey.

-Shooting. There are all kinds of shots now. Now you can shoot on the deek (quick shot), backhands look great, and ofcourse the other 3 shots look good too.

Passing. As I said above, passing is harder now. In NHL 2003 I would end the game with over 90% in pass accuracy, I have yet to break 67% in 2004. Like I said players come back to the puck. And if you miss a pass, one of your players will go to get it, not to mention they back you up if your in the corners or getting knocked around (they'll come in to grab the puck).

Graphics and overall moddeling. Are stunning. The ice detiorates. Spray is moddled and looks really good. Players slide on the ice (including goalies). The crowd is all 3D and they are spontaineous enough for you to notice. Real coaches are in game (they dont look as good as the players but you definatly know who they are).

I've about covered all I can think of right now, except for this last thing. Unlike all the others games that they have released that have the same equipment like No Name skates and Hagg Sticks or just writing the team name on everything. I have seen CCM, Bauer, Heaton, and Jofa all in game. I may have seen and Easton stick, or maybe it was an Innovative. I Have not seen Nike.... but f*ck them, they dont belong in hockey. Note I will have to look at all the goalies to see if Vaughn, Louisville, Brians, Eagle, Itech... etc are all actually in game. It seems like a small thing, but alot of players are identifiable by the equipment they wear, its always been kind of a way for me to pick them out, and I am pleased to see this small thing in the game.

Even if you have never played a hockey game, I highly recommend this just as a sim, because they have done an amazing job with this (proabably because EA has unlimited cash and didnt wanna lose to Sega again this year... thank god for capitalism).

Seriously go buy a 20 dollar dual analog game pad, and pick up NHL (37 bucks at wally's), and learn what the great game of hockey is all about.

Oh, and I'm running full graphics fine and my machine is getting a little dated: 1.7ghz Pent IV, 512 RD Ram, 64mb Geforce 3, 16x Toshiba DVD,.

Cheers,

Mista Saffell

EDIT: Just noticed that when a peice of equipment is knocked off (like a helmet) its stays on the ice till a stoppage of play. I also noticed that KOHO is in the game also.

BUMP+

1 good thing and 1 bad thing

No more of that idiot who used to do the colour commentary... thing they got a former coach in it now (it makes sense, instead of being retarded).

Bad thing.... Goalies dont have their personal masks anymore.... means so much to me being a goalie and all.

Last Friday I bought NHL 2003 for mine X-Box. O.K. it is maybe a half year older than NHL 2004, but it was cheaper than the new one. Good graphics and actions. What I did with the rest of my money? Asked my bartender...... :blink:

Salute

Dutchy

Download the Nhl 2004 Demo (top post has link) and you'll see a real difference.

I also just picked up NHL 03, heck it was only $9.00 at Best Buy. I figure this can hold me over until I get around to paying full price for 04. :)

It's not too bad, but like you said the commentary really blows, and the fighting isn't very good.

Hey! Has the players skating around the puck pissed you off yet? You know you try to pick up the puck, and you end up just skating around it... practically doing button hooks around the damn thing..... lots and lots of people were pisssssssed off about that.... starting calling it a BETA version.... but then again people will be people, some assholes actually think '04 is a beta... just because its hard.

I keep tellin'em... hey its a sim, it should be hard.

One more thing, when and if you guys pick up '04, get a dual analog controller... I love my gravis Eliminator (PS2 set up...kinda). Some people are bitching about having to learn all the buttons in game (you now have a shift+ something for actions). They think its hard.... I say "Hey! its no sweat compared to learning any flight sim with an X45 :D ".... like 15 button options for NHL '04... 15 :P :P :P hahahahahaha!!!!

One more thing.

If you guys with '03 want roster's up to date.

Check out. http://www.nhldepot.net/

All kinds of cool stuff for many EA NHL games, including up to date rosters for '03.

Cheers,

Saffell

Hey! Great link for the Depot! I didn't want to waste all my time editing all of the rosters.

I just picked up a MS Sidewinder gamepad...because I've always liked Sidewinder (my last three flight sticks have been SW). It has 10 buttons and seems to get the job done so far. :)

One thing I like about 03 (not sure if it's in 04) is the custom player feature. I hooked my daughter up with a hockey player who is also a good friend of mine. Big Steve Fletcher (77) who signed with the Habs in 86 and played a few NHL games over his career...but spent most of his time in the IHL in my home town (Ft Wayne Komets). He has the Ft Wayne (and maybe IHL) record for PIMs in a season and his career...lol. He's a good guy to hang out with at the clubs. :D With the custom player feature I set up my guy to look just like him and play like he did...pretty cool.

The guys skating around a loose puck is pretty sad, but as long as I can switch to that guy and put on the brakes I can usually control it.

I've got the fever again now so I'll be grabbing 04 soon. :)

Oh yeah, you can make players in '04.

That site I gave you is bad ass. I got a custom menu screen (Go Leafs Go Eddie Belfour). I got a custom clock (ESPN/2 and CBC... but I need help with getting the logo's to work.

I said in an earlier post that the goalie's helmets are generic... well I dl'd like 44 guys helmets (they arent EA quality but they look good enough).

Modders have already fixed some of the little things that can piss ya off about '04... like not having a calender in season mode.

The roster updates should be good enough till EA starts releasing them (one of the reasons I love PC over consol)... IMA NEAT FREAK WITH ROSTERS!

Christ I think I have every mod for '04 (like 40 of em)... need to find some more. :D

Oh yeah, just played the best simulated hockey game ever.

Gold Medal Game of National Tourney.... Me (USA) at Canada. Started out Canucks up 2-0, I picked up one, then they scored again (3-1). I scored another but they came right back so it was 4-2 going into the 3rd. It was really rough, got down to about 4 mins left and still down 4-2, then I picked up one on Tkachuk crashing the net and picking up Poti's rebound from the point. So now I'm down 4-3. Got down to about 45 secs left and I pulled a wrap around with Todd Marchant, and evened it up... But... with like 15 secs left Paul Kariya caught me in a change and smoked Dunham on the Glove side.

Canada takes Gold (win 5-4), USA goes home with the Silver (just like last Olympics).

It was a really fun game.(I usually dont enjoy loses :P )

Oh and one more thing... there are goalie fights! I rocked Garth Snow with Eddie Belfour, and got a draw against Marty Turco (also with Eddie).