Sign in to follow this  
Murphy'S

The Official Sept/Oct Patch Thread

MP air combat is where the longevity is!!!! Has anyone noticed how many players are on IL2 at any given time in HL??????? I'm sorry TK, but when I hear you don't support MP the aviation Gods become very sad:) You have a great sim in your WOV/WOE/WOI series, but don't sell it short by restricting MP.

Creature

Well so far even without good MP, the sim series sells and yes without a good MP, it has longevity. Look at the amount of mods and how long some of us have been modding it. C5, Crab_02, Sundowner, myself, Sony T, bpao, Moonjumper, just as an example, have been with it since 2002. It would be nice if TK would do something with it, but it is what it is.

While I am a part of the Online Multiplayer mafia for Thirdwire games, you are delusional if you don't think most people always want more eyecandy.

You can always lower the graphics settings to get FPS back (the meaning of the Low/Med/High and the addition of Unlimited has changed how the game works).

Someone that just spent $1500 building a gaming rig with a top of the line video card wants to play games with top of the line graphics.

Someone that just spent $500 on an e-Machine wants the same thing... then finds out that they can't get it with a built in video chip... tough luck.

Someone that wants to play todays games on a 5-year-old machine is being unrealistic.

As it is, TK is still far from top of the line graphics and has bent over backwards to try to keep everyone happy.

No one forces you to apply the patch.

You simply make a choice.

I have chosen: latest patch for me.

I don't know what is wrong with Doghouse's install, but I see VMFA-531 in multiplayer.

I do see the missing runways.

If you have problems, you should be venting at TK's forums rather than here.

He can't fix it if he doesn't know about it.

My FPS was 60 in multiplayer while in cockpit, 45 in external view (shadows no medium activate on external view).

My PC hardware is already 3 years old, but I can run it at 1600x1200x32 with FSAAx6 and AFx16.

After having some time tonight to check out the new features and gameplay in WOE i have to say i'm very impressed! As of now i have everything ported over from my old install and i'm pretty happy with it. The new AI seems better than WOI, but i only had WOI a little over a week before a HD failure took it away. Luckily i had moved WOIs aircraft over to WOE, but they didnt work right until today.

This patch has really made the game a challenge again, your not even safe in a raptor anymore! I love it! The Vista Shaders issue is finally fixed and im running the game on an onboard Intel GMA950 chipset and its still playable! I don't get amazing framerates, but its good enough for me.

As for MP, really i couldn't care less. I've been there and done that and honestly the 733T buttheads i've run into in online games killed any desire i have for multiplay. If i want to deal with that i'll go play Star Wars Galaxies and fly my X-Wing or YT-1300.

All in All, TK deserves alot of praise for this patch and the wait is finally over! Now i'm off to tinker with my install to see what else it can do, BTW does anyone know which cat file has the default loading screen in it? I found the default hangar screen but not the loading one yet, it seems to be in another cat file because i extracted all the files from the Menudata.cat and i don't see it there.

Well so far even without good MP, the sim series sells and yes without a good MP, it has longevity. Look at the amount of mods and how long some of us have been modding it. C5, Crab_02, Sundowner, myself, Sony T, bpao, Moonjumper, just as an example, have been with it since 2002. It would be nice if TK would do something with it, but it is what it is.

"It is what it is" is the kiss of death in the flight sim community!!! I don't want to sound mean, but has anyone noticed that WOV/WOE/WOI/SFP1 are all the same damn sim??? Redistributing the same sim with a differnt title is not longevity, it's a mod! and is not fair to dedicated sim pilots that fly and BUY them. I have to admit the only reason I bought the other series is because I want to support TK and his sims, but to be honest they are still in their box, I saw no reason to load up my hard drive with the same sim. If you want to stick with the slogan "it is what it is" and not put more emphisis on MP then be prepared to join the ranks of other great sims that have wings on their boxes and halo's over their price tags. I've been flying flight sims since my first "Timex" computer that hooked up to a TV and used a cassete tape to load, and I've seen some beautiful sims disappear because "it is what it is" became "it is what it was". If I didn't care, I wouldn't post!

Creature

I don't want to sound mean, but has anyone noticed that WOV/WOE/WOI/SFP1 are all the same damn sim???

That's only because TK is the only dev who patches his older products up to the same standard as the newest one. Were you in a cave the last couple of months or did you not notice everyone eagerly anticipating the recent patches to bring WOV and WOE up to the latest standard? You aren't seriously calling long-term support and negative, are you?

Creature, first, welcome to CA.

Second, and this isn't aimed at you creature in particular, but all players in general, do NOT let this thread degenerate into a 'MP verses SP' debate. Not here. Not now.

Does everyone have a clear understanding? Good.

FastCargo

"It is what it is" is the kiss of death in the flight sim community!!! I don't want to sound mean, but has anyone noticed that WOV/WOE/WOI/SFP1 are all the same damn sim??? Redistributing the same sim with a differnt title is not longevity, it's a mod! and is not fair to dedicated sim pilots that fly and BUY them. I have to admit the only reason I bought the other series is because I want to support TK and his sims, but to be honest they are still in their box, I saw no reason to load up my hard drive with the same sim. If you want to stick with the slogan "it is what it is" and not put more emphisis on MP then be prepared to join the ranks of other great sims that have wings on their boxes and halo's over their price tags. I've been flying flight sims since my first "Timex" computer that hooked up to a TV and used a cassete tape to load, and I've seen some beautiful sims disappear because "it is what it is" became "it is what it was". If I didn't care, I wouldn't post!

Creature

How long you been around the sim we fly? I was on the beta team for WOE, SF and patches. TK said he wont make MP better. You can rant, rave, bitch, piss and moan all you want. It wont change. He has said it over a dozen times. Do we want better, yep, but he is stubborn and has his agenda. Having said that, is it the same sim? I don't think so Ted, it gets better and better and better with every patch and with 1816247 downloads from this site alone in this series, your assessment is totally off.

It is installed on my new vista 64 gaming system asus striker extreme, 4 gigs of ddr2 800 -8800gtx- 70% of my mods are installed and I think i'm in love :biggrin: . The dogfights I have been in today blow away anything I have experienced in a TW sim by a wide margin. The loading time has been cut by 3/4 or more from my older computer.

This patch fixes just about every thing that I had issues with, the AI is at a whole new level, my AI squadron mates aggressively seek out the enemy, and they actually try to stay alive when the enemy is on their six :clapping: . Both friendly and enemy AI engage BVR and continue to engage as they close on each other at which point a genuine fur ball erupts. The flight model ( at least for the planes I have flown so far) feels much improved. All of my mods work so far- however there was one CA Starry EE2 burning aircraft smoke or flame effect that my vista rig did not like. I deleted the effects folder and pasted my clean backup then added EE3 I opened up my master modded folder up and compared files with EE3, then I carefully added effects from this folder. The result was I got all of my CA Starry effects working plus added all of the killer deuces/ YAP effects from my master folder.

I only have one complaint and that is the home button seems to have intermittent problems when selecting a radar target.... maybe I am overlooking something ? Any one else having problems with the home key?

Besides that this patch rocks!!!!

Now it is time to load up some of the ground attack missions I built and test the aggressiveness of the AI with CAS, armed recon and strike missions.

Thanks for the patch TK it takes the game to a whole new level.

Edited by Icarus999

BVR engagements got more exciting. Took down a pair of F-15Cs with the Novator ultra-long-range-AAM mod someone posted in CA.

I hear ya, a Mig 31 put a heater into the tailpipe of my raptor while i was trying to kill his wingman today. This patch is like getting a whole new game! Only problem i have had so far was when i takeoff in a WWII prop fighter, the rest of my flight stays on the field and spins in circles, but its minor because if you warp all the planes appear in formation and they fly and fight fine.

I'm gonna be up all night playing with this new patch! :good:

Something that may interest militant radical NF-104 or MiG-25 fundamentalists...

Enviro...these are my settings for now until further tests. TK was too conservative, didn't want to freak people out, they aren't used to it.

[HighAlt]

HighAltColorStart=0

HighAltColorEnd=30E+3

HighAltSkyColor=0,0,0.1

HighAltHorizonColor=0.30,0.50,0.90

HighAltFogColor=0.4,0.5,0.6

SunLightModifiler=1

AmbientModifiler=1

SpecularModifiler=1

...The modifiers are mis-spelled Modifiler

For features - now there's an engine fire. It's not the fuel fire that swallows up half the plane

img00015.jpg

And it didn't start the moment my rear was hit - took a second or so i.e. I was hit by cannons and lost the tail, then hit afterburner and voila! I set my behind on fire.

Patch readme also said something about rescaling B-52. Maybe to put two pilots in the pit :blink:

img00010.jpg

Didn't notice theis size before anyway - I'm more into mud wrestling on A-4.

I hear ya, a Mig 31 put a heater into the tailpipe of my raptor while i was trying to kill his wingman today. This patch is like getting a whole new game! Only problem i have had so far was when i takeoff in a WWII prop fighter, the rest of my flight stays on the field and spins in circles, but its minor because if you warp all the planes appear in formation and they fly and fight fine.

I'm gonna be up all night playing with this new patch! :good:

It really is like a Whole new game, I love it!!!

Gotta install my lexx luther nuke effects and the strategic missile exaust mod then its down to trying to remember all the little mods that are slipping my mind right now.

salivating in anticipation of Desert storm Mod... Grabs drool bucket.... draws line in sand :biggrin: .

I only have one complaint and that is the home button seems to have intermittent problems when selecting a radar target.... maybe I am overlooking something ? Any one else having problems with the home key?

Besides that this patch rocks!!!!

Im not sure yet but you may have to have a stronger signal to select a target - try moving the nose up or down. Also is this after you have locked up another target on there and pressed 'delete'?

Also not sure that if they are lower then you it may also not be easy to select them due to ground clutter - guess what im saying is that this may be part of the game now.

If that doesnt work then you could try cycling the radar modes back to search - if you can select it then there could be an issue.

It's called "jamming" :biggrin: Your opponents are beaming you.

While the patch of WOI seems to be very fine i have to complain about the WOE patch. It does not accept anymore moded weapon lists, so that my Mirage 2000 and Su-22 etc now stands there without armament. It also does not shows target areas which are away from the flightpath. Also a "sight seeing tour" to visit ports and airfields is not possible. Strange thing!

While the patch of WOI seems to be very fine i have to complain about the WOE patch. It does not accept anymore moded weapon lists, so that my Mirage 2000 and Su-22 etc now stands there without armament. It also does not shows target areas which are away from the flightpath. Also a "sight seeing tour" to visit ports and airfields is not possible. Strange thing!

That what i´ve noticed too...

not very nice.

Now we can turn on/off the engines, but a sound for that feature is missing....

I've just been sent attacking a truc convoy in WoV! Isn't that new? Or did I missed it before?

While the patch of WOI seems to be very fine i have to complain about the WOE patch. It does not accept anymore moded weapon lists, so that my Mirage 2000 and Su-22 etc

I have added all my fully modded weps lists and it works just fine.

While the patch of WOI seems to be very fine i have to complain about the WOE patch. It does not accept anymore moded weapon lists, so that my Mirage 2000 and Su-22 etc now stands there without armament.

The customs weapons selection is working fine in the NF3 beta...

I saved the pre-patch weapons folder and files, placed it back after the patch and have no probs whatsoever!

My two cents worth: I own a modest built machine - AMD 64 2.2GHz with 1 Gig of RAM, NVidea 8600 GT card - the WOV update works fine on a clean install with all detail settings at "High", mirrors off, shadows at "Medium", just flying around I'm getting 45 FPS from inside the cockpit. (I highly recommend the card for budget users by the way).

I did not need to install a later version of DirectX either. Nice update - good job TK.

Time to start adding some mods now!

Mike D.

I love this game. That's why i feel a little disappointed by some features of the september

patch applied to WOE (I probably won't apply it to WOV) :

This terrible BLUE sky (I hated it in WOI but thought it was to render a "middle east clear sky") which makes WOE look like a 1980 flight sim.

This Invisible WALL stopping my wingman when he reaches my level.

This new cockpit view with this "nose onto the gunsight" feeling.

And most of all for which REAL graphical improvement did i loose 10 fps ?