Sign in to follow this  
StarBucker

Volumetric Clouds

The future of modern flight simulation games was ended with LOMAC. But if you are not told that these screen shots are taken from TW series, I seriously dount if you can tell the difference.

The future of modern flight simulation is ended?

img00003-5.jpg

img00002-5.jpg

img00001-8.jpg

Edited by StarBucker

TK has really pushed this series to new heights. I don't really think of it as a lite sim anymore, what really defines a lite sim anyway? Sure Falcon 4.0 models avionics and weapons systems better but TW Sims give a much more realistic sensation of flight with stalls,spins and buffeting. In F4 the plane just kinda flys like there is no atmosphere around the plane, Not to mention we have more planes and alot of them look better.

Don't get me wrong i love F4, but most people consider it the ultimate flight sim and it is in some ways, however even the best sims have weak areas and i'm tired of people looking down on TW sims because of the lite sim label that was hung on it long ago and they ignore how far this series has come.

Edited by WarlordATF

AMEN!TK has alot less complicated controls making it alot of fun!

I hope TW games will bring more compettion to other flight sim producers, it has been a while since we have a modern flight simulation game like F/A-18. If only there owuld be a F-22 or a Typhoon sim in the near future.

The mods are here to "upgrade" to modern times if you'll look through the knowledgebase.Not to mention in the near furture the Desert Storm Mod for WOE will be released.There's also campaigns like WOE 2007 you can mod.There's F-22'S,SU-33'S,F-23'S,F/A-37A and etc. you can addon in the download section.So,how much more modern can you get?

Some of my shots in the screenshot tried tried to capture the LOMAC style at times.

Of course, the OTHER advantage we got over the LOMAC boys is that we can actually fly an F-14A (with a future -A+/B and perhaps a -D, no offense to the VNAO guys working on the LOMAC mod).

Edited by kct

currently one of the advantage of lomac is the representation of the ground, which still one of the best in any military sims.

and some features like spo15 modelization

that's why i really appreciate the work of ca stary and some other "ground modders", they really improve the stock terrain.

for the rest it's up to tk to give us some more features down the road

but he already give us some very good improvement with this patch, thanks to him.

Edited by Murphy'S

currently one of the advantage of lomac is the representation of the ground, which still one of the best in any military sims.

and some features like spo15 modelization

that's why i really appreciate the work of ca stary and some other "ground modders", they really improve the stock terrain.

for the rest it's up to tk to give us some more features down the road

but he already give us some very good improvement with this patch, thanks to him.

Talkin about the terrain, LOMAC has excellent hilly terrain, because they are less blocky than that of TW games. But for plain terrain, IL-2 series are the very best amongst all!

The Sims won't advance in air warfare environment modeling until developers create multi-polygon 3D cloud LOD models and skin them. 3D cloud "terrain" really needs developers so the AI is programmed to not see through them and to avoid them if the clouds are large enough, depending on the aircraft passing through, or attempt to fly over them.

The Sims won't advance in air warfare environment modeling until developers create multi-polygon 3D cloud LOD models and skin them. 3D cloud "terrain" really needs developers so the AI is programmed to not see through them and to avoid them if the clouds are large enough, depending on the aircraft passing through, or attempt to fly over them.

The ThirdWire AI does not "see" through the clouds, unless it has acquired and is tracking its target with radar.

Correct. TK is among the first, if not the first, to attempt this, but the clouds remain the industry standard "combat flight sim" small puff 2D textures. All the Sims are like this today. The original Su-27 Flaker sim of 1995 had simple 3D polygon clouds which were great for its time. Someday the developers may return to that method, with the far higher polygons possible today.

Yes, I recall that being a point of contention when IL-2 first came out, tail gunners being able to "track" you through the clouds, as if they were imbued with some sort of super IR-vision :biggrin:

AWESOME!!! I might not need LOMAC after all!!! though it does seem still like a good game (he says knowing inevitably that "the hammer of TW fanboys...and girls" is coming) :rofl:

kct, NO PROBLEM, you're not offending anybody (yes, I'm also a member of VNAO XD).

Yeah, I guess TW series has got so far and reached such heights, considering how it originally started, that many people looking at the "new" WOE or WOI wouldn't really believe it's the same old franchise....

And I have tosay I'm extremely proud of being part of this community, thank you all guys for the loads of hours your fine mods have took from my everyday's life! XD

Hooah for CA and its people, Hooah for TK, let's keep rockin' on!

Cheers!

If I were TK, I would market and make it a new product, I will be the first one to pay for it!!