• Announcements

• Erik

2019 Drive   05/31/2019

Can you lend a hand?  GET STARTED TODAY
Sign in to follow this  
Arrow

Some Questions about the Skyraider

I purchsed and dowloaded the Skyraider today and have been getting some stick time in with it. First attempt to take off was funny; let's just say I haven't down that much out of control bush wacking since the time I had to run from a forest fire in a vintage International. :biggrin: I saw the Data.INI fix you posted for paulopanz and I've successfully applied it and lo and behold I can keep this bird on a straight path down the runway now.

What I'm having the most difficulty with is getting up to rotation speed. I just barely make rotation before I run out of runway. It seems that rotation speed is somewhere in the vicinity of 125- 140 nm, is this correct ? I've found it necessary to reach full thrust with the wheel brake engaged and then release it, if I"m to have a hope and hell of getting to rotation before the runway disssappears. Am I missing something here; i.e. is there WEP available of something else that I don't know about? I've also been having problems with dive bombing such that I experience severe compression which I'm unable to pull out of. Admittedly I suck at level bombing so bombing has been a real challenge in the Skyraider since it seems to take for ever to reach a decent enough altitude. I'm not too familiar with this bird, but is it possible to effectivey dive bomb in it?

Other than these issues I'm having a great time with this plane and I'm impressed with the quality of it. The FM feels good and for once I'm getting a deecent challenge out of WoV with the actual process of flying.

Whats your weight on take off?

Practise pulling put of the dive at a known safe altitude - also you may need to stick the brakes on.

Good question about my take off weight. I just went with the default loadout that was given when I created a strike and CAS mission, so I'm not entirely sure. It's also very hard to read the loadout on my aging HDTV; hoping that the 3rd party menus for WOV will soon be tweaked to run properly with the new patch. The air brakes during a dive sounds like a good idea, I remember doing that in another WWII flight sim for the P-38 Lightning.

I removed some of the armament from my CAS load-outs and take off has been a little easier. It kind of pees me off that my wingman can fly circles around me, almost acrobatically, with the full load-out. It's as if he's mocking my ineptitude as flight lead. :blush: I also discovered that what's causing me the biggest problem on take off is the tail wheel. When lifting off I hit it and it pivots the front of the Skyraider back onto the runway. I've found that if I level the Skyraider up on it's front wheels with stick pitch, take off is easier, but it's tricky because there's the risk of nosing over.

I know this is wishful thinking, but is there anyway to retract the tail wheel?

Edited by Arrow

Well, the advice I was going to offer was pitch forward on the roll to get the ass-end off the deck, but seems like you figured that out already. Full power run-up while holding the brake is also a good technique.

What are the available flap settings? A 2/3 flap setting for takeoff would be a good option. Otherwise, a full-flap takeoff might be another alternative to getting your Spad into the air. The idea is to use the extra lift from the flaps to get your crate in the air. However, there is a lot of drag associated with the flaps, so anticipate a long takeoff roll and getting airborne at a lower than normal indicated airspeed. Also, your rate of climb is not going to be very good, so be patient with it.

Do everything else as before: hold the brakes, run up the engine, a little forward stick to get the tail off the deck on the takeoff roll. The tricky part will be once you are in the air. Don't over-rotate or your speed will drop off and you'll be hanging out very close to stall. Put on a little altitude - 100' should be good. Get the gear up first - they only contribute drag at this point. Now, the idea is to reduce drag further by cleaning up the flaps. But, the flaps are also giving you a lot of extra lift at this point, so it must be done carefully. Next get about 300' and raise flaps to half. There will be a little settle. Once stabilized and still climbing out above 300' raise the flaps the rest of the way. You'll probably get a little more settle, but just hold a positive rate of climb. Whatever you do, do not raise the flaps all the way in one shot, you'll dump so much lift that your heavily loaded Spad will probably hit the deck because of the monster settle. Propellers don't cut through dirt very well.

Edited by gbnavy61

I just purchased the Skyraider volume 1 for the A-1E, and I havent had any problems with it that I can tell, but I will have to go back and check.

I keep my SPADs take off weight around 25 or 26 grand plus change. I haven't had any field length problems on take off. Arrow try this dirt field/short field/seaplane technique. Brakes, full throttle, No Flaps. Release brakes. When you reach rotation speed then lower flaps to the setting you want. Your tail should be off the ground now. The plane will be a handfull with the dynamic change. I kept wadding up ME-110s in IL2 on the side of the hill until I launched them this way. I saw a DC-4/C-54 land and take off on a small dirt strip that was challenging for a Cessna. Except fuel, the DC-4/C-54 was empty on take off but used this same technique.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

I just purchased the Skyraider volume 1 for the A-1E, and I havent had any problems with it that I can tell, but I will have to go back and check.

I purchased volume 2, only because I thought it was newer and better :blush: I wouldn't know one Skyraiders alphabetical designation from another other than the NAV probably refers to Navy. All I know is that there's a cammo variant in Vol 2 that looks like the Sandys in Flight of the Intruder and We were Soldiers, so that's good enough for me.

I didn't realize there were flap increments, although I've been fully raising them; have the [v] key mapped to the up position on a throttle quadrant rocker switch and I've been giving it multiple presses thinking that the 1st presses weren't being recognized. Do incremental flaps use the same [f] and [v] keys?

Edited by Arrow

You've been fully raising them before you start your takeoff roll?

Yeah flaps should be incremental on the Spad. Same keys - up increment/down increment. Some aircraft have only full down/full up settings, some have no settings as they're automatic (F-16, F/A-18), but most have three settings: up/half/down.

P.S. For your dive problems, as was mentioned, use speed brakes if necessary, you also probably want to be back on the power (maybe idle) - your weight will accelerate you down hill just fine.

Edited by gbnavy61

You've been fully raising them before you start your takeoff roll?

Nope...I've been raising them 5-10 seconds after rotation. It's just that I was under the impression that there was only a full up and a full down setting. When I did an outside [F6] view I could see they still weren't fully raised and assumed my initial key press wasn't recognized, so I pressed [v] a few more times to be sure.

P.S. For your dive problems, as was mentioned, use speed brakes if necessary, you also probably want to be back on the power (maybe idle) - your weight will accelerate you down hill just fine.

I built my 1st CAS mission for the Skyraider today with KMD and got in some good practice bombing on some T-50 ground targets. I didn't actually hit any because for some reason, despite a 10:00 am start time for my mission, It ended up turning to night time when I [Alt] + [n]'d to skip to the primary objective point. I can see why the Skyraider is rated for daytime only, still it's a real thrill to night bomb in it. :rolleyes: I started to use the airbrake and got much better results and despite it being pitch black I didn't crash once. I also started to get used to the climb and cornering speed thresholds and I'm not able to appreciate this plane a lot more. The climb rate out of a dive once you release the speed brake is mind boggling. I thought the swoop down tactics in movies like We were Soldiers was for dramatic effect, but I'm beginning to see how this bird might actually be capable of such maneuvers.