Sign in to follow this  
Luiz Carlos

What kind of video card ?

What kind of video card are you people recomend capable to reach >60 fps with unlimited graphics?

(Considering 2 GB RAM and AMD X2 5200 cpu in 1920x1200)

Edited by Luiz Carlos

What kind of video card are you people recomend capable to reach >60 fps with unlimited graphics?

(Considering 2 GB RAM and AMD X2 5200 cpu in 1920x1200)

I use a Ge Force 8600GT , 128 bits , 512 Mb Vram DDR3...great card, fits nicely with your system. Maybe a 8800GTS.

I use a Ge Force 8600GT , 128 bits , 512 Mb Vram DDR3...great card, fits nicely with your system. Maybe a 8800GTS.

Are there differences between ATI or Nvidia cards in WOx?(driver issues , etc...)

I never bought ATI , but I´m considering between a ATI 4870 or a Nvidia GTX 260, even if the cpu will become a bottleneck now, because I pretend to do a major rebuild later.

60 fps average with all settings maxed out is not realistic in the SF series at this time, IMO. Maybe 60 fps as a peak, but not on average. I have an 8800GTS in a nice computer and probably average somewhere in the 40s with everything maxed except shadows on medium. Peaks in the 70s, lows in the 20s or upper teens. That is with 8xAA and 16xAF, driver quality settings maxed.

Edit: Forgot to mention running at 1680x1050.

Im using a 1GB Geforce 8600GT DDR2 PCI-E i get VERY little stuttering in a high target high effects area.

Dual core 3.2 GHZ, Resolution 1024x768x32, 3gigs of RAM

Edited by Viper6

Just like the rest of my machine, a "wheezing" Nvidia Geforce 5200FX 256MB PCI board.

I have an nvidia 8400GS,athlon 2.4ghz,1024mb ram and run the game wide open on 1024x768 res. and looks and flys great!

I have an nvidia 8400GS,athlon 2.4ghz,1024mb ram and run the game wide open on 1024x768 res. and looks and flys great!

Yeah that's nice set up brother

Guest Sony Tuckson

your cpu is way too weak to reach those figures...

running at such a resolution requires a really powefull system

The video card alone ain't enough in any way...

Hey Sony Tuckson,wouldn't the problem lay in his virtual memory set too low also?Cuz,I have a nVidia 6200 GeForce and set my virtaul memory 1500-3000 or am I on the wrong track?Maybe all has alot to due with processing speed.Reason why I ask I'm looking to build a new system and don't want tobe ripped off due to lack of knowledge.Any advise would be nice.

BTW,system is for Flight sims and RTS types.

Guest Sony Tuckson

playing with vitual memory settings won't bring much improvements (the windows management, although not perfect is good enough for simulation, tweaking this won't do miracles)

Can't see his settings in this thread

Of course, reducing the size of the swap file might give problems...

The 6200 from Nvidia ain't a gamer card at all, it's a very cheap model, used only to replace an onboard chip...but for a gamer, its performances are way too low

My machine, a Shuttle XPC (watercooled) with:

-Pentium 4 Extreme Edition at 3.4 GHz.

-2 GB RAM.

-NVidia GeForce 8600 GTS with 1 GB memory.

-Oodles of HD space.

-and an old but trusted MS Sidewinder FF2 joystick.

I'll agree with you on my video card.So,i'm in the process of getting a "new" system for myself.Since i seen i'm going in the wrong direction,I think my brother's (ViperBat32) computer setup would be alright.But,would like to have a higher processing speed like 3.0Ghz.

Flight sims aren't first person shooters, where your reaction speed is dependent on your frame rate. If you can average 30-40 FPS with all the eye candy on, you're doing fine.

Flight sims aren't first person shooters, where your reaction speed is dependent on your frame rate. If you can average 30-40 FPS with all the eye candy on, you're doing fine.

I don't own any FPS mainly flight sims and few RTS (Real Time Strategy).

Well I have a SAGER gaming laptop with 4GB RAM, 2.4GHZ processor, and an NVIDIA 8600GT-M Graphics card! But I have Vista and cant seem to run it :( I feel a little left out now! BTW I leave in 16 Days for Paris Island, SC for Marine Corps Boot Camp! I was supposed to leave August 25th but couldnt Since the Job I wanted, Infantry, wasnt available

I had a mistake, DDR2 video memory.

My system:

Core 2 Duo E8200, 2gb DDR 2 667mhz, Gigabyte P35DS3 Motherboard, Hard Disks 80gb + 160gb Sata II 7200rpm.

8600 GT with a modest 2.2 GHz machine with 1 Gig RAM - in the 40s for pre-patch, just under for the post. Great card for the money. Could not get WOV to even run on an ATI card.

Mike

Well I have a SAGER gaming laptop with 4GB RAM, 2.4GHZ processor, and an NVIDIA 8600GT-M Graphics card! But I have Vista and cant seem to run it :( I feel a little left out now! BTW I leave in 16 Days for Paris Island, SC for Marine Corps Boot Camp! I was supposed to leave August 25th but couldnt Since the Job I wanted, Infantry, wasnt available

Keep your head and stay alert!Best wishes to you!

8600 GT with a modest 2.2 GHz machine with 1 Gig RAM - in the 40s for pre-patch, just under for the post. Great card for the money. Could not get WOV to even run on an ATI card.

Mike

Same card here, with 2 gigs of ram, I have a 3.01 GHZ 64x2 6000+ Athlon dual core processer, the only problem I have is after running 3 or 4 missions, my graphics get choppy.

Anyone know why?

Edited by krgf15

Running AMD 64 Dual Core (3.0 Ghz), 4 GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB RAM.

man, how am I gonna afford a high-def computer? A 2.5 Mhz 2 gig ram with an entry level nivida runs about $1000!

On my system [Q6600 (@ 3,00GHz), Asus P5Q, 4GB DDR2-800 (@ DDR2-1000), 8800GTS 512MB (G92 chip)] WOI runs fine with most of the settings set to high or unlimited except for the shadows (set to medium) and cockpit reflections and mirrors disabled. I get around 50 frames in cockpit view, over airbases it's slightly lower (>25, though).

Guest Sony Tuckson

Sorry to dissapoint some here, but the 86xx series is not really a gamer card

I know it runs rather fine, but you will see the limits rather soon...

The 9xxx, or the 88xx are way better (more expensive, but it's the way things are...) and the ATI/AMD 34xx, 37xx, 45xx and 47xx cards are very good stuff for gaming

the 86xx series should be restricted to smaller screen settings, like 17" at 1280*1024 resolution, not higher

Edited by Sony Tuckson

So my card is crap? Darn now I have a 512mb 8600gt AND a 1gig 8600gt and both are crap! :blink: