Sign in to follow this  

27vs F-15 it would boil down to the pilot;Ill say this again never fight the way your enemy fights!

You see the Flanker pulling a cobra in front of you-ram the bastard! Or hose him full of lead;the Eagle has enough inertia to go up initially with the Sukhoi before it becomes a matter of engines.

Another thing is I cant fly the Flanker too long-the engine noise is far too high pitched!

Edited by Stick

I wish we didnt behave so coy about our radar abilities during exercises.

Stick

If you think we don't know and have tapes/data/signatures of the Su-30 radars, You are seriously mistaken. :good:

I wonder if the MiG-35 is more manueverable than the Eagle?

I wonder if the MiG-35 is more manueverable than the Eagle?

If they ever produce it, it would be. The Mig-35 is supposed to have all aspect thrust vectoring. But if they are not mass producing it, its a moot point.

If they ever produce it, it would be. The Mig-35 is supposed to have all aspect thrust vectoring. But if they are not mass producing it, its a moot point.

If they mass produce it,I think the USAF has a problem.A BIG ONE!

If they mass produce it,I think the USAF has a problem.A BIG ONE!

No they wont because the Mig-35 will never get close enough to use it. The F-15 or F-22 will blow it out of the sky long before the Mig-35's radar can find it. Even with the 35's AESA radar, it has caught the interest of no one. It is a good platform but with the AESA F-15C's and F-22's uber AESA radar it still lacks the punch it needs to compete with this aircraft.

No they wont because the Mig-35 will never get close enough to use it. The F-15 or F-22 will blow it out of the sky long before the Mig-35's radar can find it. Even with the 35's AESA radar, it has caught the interest of no one. It is a good platform but with the AESA F-15C's and F-22's uber AESA radar it still lacks the punch it needs to compete with this aircraft.

Yeah, you are right.

And the MiG-35 is still more or less a medium fighter, something around the lines of the Super Hornet and the rest. It might stood a chance going against the SH/Typhoon/Rafale and co (and that depends on which Block etc.), but not against the heavyweights (like the F-15 or F-22).

Edited by kct

And the MiG-35 is still more or less a medium fighter, something around the lines of the Super Hornet and the rest. It might stood a chance going against the SH/Typhoon/Rafale and co (and that depends on which Block etc.), but not against the heavyweights (like the F-15 or F-22).

Exactly.

Stick

If you think we don't know and have tapes/data/signatures of the Su-30 radars, You are seriously mistaken. :good:

Hrrmph!!!

And this was the other kicker. The SH can carry more AMRAAMs than the MiG-35 can dream of carrying R-77s. And the SH can carry a pair of additional Sidewinders.

Edited by johnrey

A-4 Skyhawk B/C/F/E/ and H 1964-82

Pros - Really easy to land on a carrier, good endurance, good weps load, Can out turn most AI Jets - after dropping my bombs in WOI last week was quite happy to shoot down the 5 Mig-21s around me with guns(after they had killed my wingmen ), Isreali version has Mavericks.

Cons - Slow, no burner, poor A-A systems, poor bombing system, poor defensive ECM suite, Limited visibilty, Gun Jams (keep bursts short)

Mirage 3CJ (Shahak) 1967-1982

Pros - Fast and has a good amount of power, useful interceptor, has a radar, has heat seeking missiles, look pretty cool

Cons - Poor turning ability, poor fuel capacity(Check this If you engage a Mig-17), poor weps load, radar is naff, hard to fly in A-A, poor cockpit vis, no ECM, poor A-G systems

F-16A 1978-1983

Pros - totally Matchless WVR fighter, Excellent A-G systems, excellent vis, easy to fly, adequate weps load, good defensive suite, look down radar.

Cons - No BVR, too easy - just check six and dont fly into ZSUs

A key to defeat - is to underestimate your enemy.

Thank you MigBuster for getting things back on track.

A-10A ThunderboltII-As far as i'm concerned, flying this plane is pretty much the safest thing you can do. Don't get in over your head you should be able to have a long and succesful career.

Pros-Can carry a staggering amount and variety of ordnance, HUD, incredible turn ratio, very survivable, superior endurance. Cons-Slow, limited at higher altitudes.

Hawker Hunter FGA.9 You really want a challenge? Flying the Hunter is the hands down toughest assignment around. To stay alive in this plane will take all the skill and luck you can muster.

Pros-Smooth handling, very stable at low altitudes, heavy gun loadout. Cons-Slow, no afterburners, no radar, limited gun ammo, poor endurance.

That seems to be it for me. Those are all the aircraft that i've flown into battle long enough to venture an opinion on.

I sure hope it helps someone!

Edited by Lt. James Cater

Flying the A-4 is quite nice. I like it for it's stable platform, it's great for learning bombing. It turns decently and I find scissors to be good for shaking off MiGs. The weapon load is for the size of the bird quite massive. On the downside, next to no acceleration and limited climb. I almost never go vertical. For survival, I reserve the right to chicken out on missions going Downtown. High threat environments with SAMs, AAA and MiGs lurking is best survived in the middle of a complete set of flights, running on your own is almost suicidal.

TeTeT I agree totally with what you say, on the A-4.

But I think they are very strong and sturdy aircraft with an exceptional ability to survive, are the most powerful bombardments at low altitudes and in extreme weather conditions, as their slow speed makes them suitable for such follies.

In addition they are very good at maneuvering to dodge artillery AA closed at low altitude

14mg.jpg

Considering the newer aircraft that became generally available recently, i thought i'd resurrect this thread.

F-102 Delta Dagger-I was initially very sceptical of this plane and was happily shocked by it's combat performance. No "Fangs out, hair on fire" pilots need apply though, you have to really be a thinking type to get the best out of the Deuce.

Pros-Excellent missle arrangement, good high altitude speed, excellent fuel duration for a plane of it's type, deceptive speed on the deck.

Cons-Poor cockpit visibility, no gun, poor acceleration, inadequate climb rate.

Javelin FAW.9-Anyone who wants a challenging campaign should fly this bird. As a pure interceptor it's one of the best around. However, when faced by opposing fighters it's limitations quickly become apparent.

Pros-Fine early IR missles, good radar, decent cockpit visibility, decent amount of gun ammo.

Cons-Poor manuverability, underpowered, poor climb rate, poor endurance.

PS-Just got done with my second campaign flying a Javelin. No two ways about it, the plane is a dog. Got shot down twice by MIGs while trying to disengage after intercepts and AI pilots might as well be considered shot down before they leave the runway. Horrendous kill/loss ratio vs enemy fighters.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

Mirage 3CJ (Shahak) 1967-1982

Pros - Fast and has a good amount of power, useful interceptor, has a radar, has heat seeking missiles, look pretty cool

Cons - Poor turning ability, poor fuel capacity(Check this If you engage a Mig-17), poor weps load, radar is naff, hard to fly in A-A, poor cockpit vis, no ECM, poor A-G systems

I think you are not too optimist. I agree in the point of weapons loadout and A-G, but in the fighter configuration (2xIRM, 1xSAHM, two supersonic drop tanks) it can face sucesfully any enemy i meet with them, from Fresco´s to Floggers, assuming that you have to fight your way, not theirs, but that´s

the way you must do with any aircraft you fly. It is more turnable than MiG-21s and F-104s, and armament, a BVR chance and 30mm is excellent

Another fighter we didn´t discuss here on the 60´s era is the F-5A. Despite lack of radar, survivability, weapons loadability and range, it is a perfect fighter against any other aircraft, in wich you have to fly in a style different from techno-phantoms and darts, (may chuck norris forgive this blasphemy) an aircraft in wich you fly as easy as if you were carrying a model with your hand.

We could say something like that about F-86F. If your usual nightmare is a close clash with a MiG-17, you can do the same with the Sabre, even in the 60s. Lacks performance and avionics, but about handling and turning rate... nothing comes close. It´s 50 cals lack range, but if cloes, these are still good for filling a target with lead. And if off range, it still carries a couple of sidewinders. I wouldn´t say it is outdated until the 70´s, and i guess (with not a huge brain effort) that other versions, with radar, afterburner and 20mm cannons are even better.

Edited by macelena

My personal two favorite aircraft:

IAI Kfir C2

Pros: stable patform for bombing, better turn radius than the original Mirage design thanks to to the Israeli refinements to the design, more powerful engine

Cons: Even with the canards it still has the same problem every other delta planform has, it bleeds energy much much faster than a traditional layout, be very careful. 'Yank and bank' will cause you to drop from the sky.

F-16 Series:

Pros: Good bombing platform, very stable, and has great visibility. To me the controls on this aircraft are very crisp and responsive. Personally its my favorite 'current inventory' aircraft for the USAF.

Cons: All that being said, its still a light-weight fighter. Even with modern improvements it really can't match something like a AESA refit Eagle or lord forbid a Raptor in Air to Air, power is nothing compared to these two and its radar while good still dosen't have their reach.

I like the F-86, you can take on MiG-15s and -17s pretty confidently. And if you have patience you can make use of the sidewinders.

The one thing I think it could use is an after burner. The little engine makes it hard to catch MiG-17s when they light up and you don't want the other guy to disengage at will. I think it could also use 20mm cannon, but the Fury fixes that.

F-14A -

Pros: At range it is unmatched with its radar and missiles. In close, it is an excellent, stable gun platform and great dogfighter.

Cons: Those damned TF30s, which in game don't have a stalling problem, but clearly aren't powerful enough for the plane; the acceleration is a joke compared to later fighters. Also, roll rate is glacial compared to most planes; though with the use of rudders and tactics, you can work around that.

Haven't used any mod planes for ages...

Hunter FGA.9, IMHO. After completing SF2E Red Thunder with only one Refly. :cool:

Cons:

Have to fire all 4 cannons at once, which makes 100 rpg problem even worse. And thanks to TK we're 200 rounds total short :wink:

Low-ish endurace - better learn to fight with droptanks on.

One mirror. Have to make barrel rolls to get better picture.

Cannons are a bit weak against tanks.

Pros:

4 30-mm cannons can rip nearly any wing off, provided you get close enough to hit.

Superb climb rate. Web search shows that even F.6 is 20m/s better in climb than Fresco without burner. Once you learn to use the vertical advantage you'll be able to wreak havoc. High yo-yo and other climb-related maneuvers are your best friends.

Rather cold exhaust and no temptation of burner. Makes very difficult for early IRs to lock on and track.

Easily ourmaneuvers Fishbeds horizontally. Combined with the above makes it a very difficult target fo them.

I'd say Hunter is a pleasure to fly, despite the fact that it swallows fuel and ammo like crazy. Becomes second skin after a while.

Harrier GR.3 - now THAT's the plane for a suicidal maniac.

Cons:

No ECM, no chaff, no flares. No radar. Basic RWR. SA-8-fodder in campaigns.

A-A limited to 2 winders.

Generally slow and not very maneuverable without using VIFF.

No armour, so even machne guns can cause serious damage.

Pros:

VIFF, which can serve as an airbrake and a maneuverablity and/or lift booster.

CCIP for all A-G weapons.

Provided AAA and enemy fighters are suppressed you can pick targets while flying over the battlefield low and slow.

Ironing the grass with your belly is the only way fo fly those in campaign. :shok:

For me viffing doesn't do much. It does push you up, but it wont give the sudden burst up as advertised. I don't like flying the early harriers. You will die.

Another fighter we didn´t discuss here on the 60´s era is the F-5A. Despite lack of radar, survivability, weapons loadability and range, it is a perfect fighter against any other aircraft, in wich you have to fly in a style different from techno-phantoms and darts, (may chuck norris forgive this blasphemy) an aircraft in wich you fly as easy as if you were carrying a model with your hand.

NF-5A is even nicer (somewhat more power, manouevering flaps, RWR, chaff/flares, bombong computer) :rolleyes:

Hou doe,

Derk

I like the F-86, you can take on MiG-15s and -17s pretty confidently. And if you have patience you can make use of the sidewinders.

The one thing I think it could use is an after burner. The little engine makes it hard to catch MiG-17s when they light up and you don't want the other guy to disengage at will. I think it could also use 20mm cannon, but the Fury fixes that.

The F-86K has afterburner, 20mm guns and radar. I didn´t fly it, but you might find what you mean. Anyway, if someone tries to break on the burner from your sabre (even a Foxtrot) it is very unlikely that he makes evasive maneuvers (or my AI is wrong) so he could eat a winder

NF-5A is even nicer (somewhat more power, manouevering flaps, RWR, chaff/flares, bombong computer) :rolleyes:

Hou doe,

Derk

The SF-5A was some equivalent, once that i recover my parachutist pc :sorry: i will use it as a reference for the mod.

It´s incredibe that i did never download, neither the NF-5A nor the F-86K, while the NF-5A would fit my usual ops in Germany and

the F-86K is an aircraft wich must have a lot of features worth trying

Edited by macelena