Sign in to follow this  
super61

Tank round question

Tungsten balls, I believe. It's a canister round which basically turns the tank into a giant shot gun.

So if you've got tungsten balls no number of Charlies can pose a threat close-range?

So if you've got tungsten balls :haha::rofl: no number of Charlies can pose a threat close-range?

LOL

what about flachette?

That's a 105mm APERS round, more commonly known as the "Beehive" round. There's also a flechette round as well, shoots big metal toothpicks. You wouldn't want to get hit with either one of them.

That's the M1028 (IIRC) it's a modern cannister round for the M256 120mm gun on the M-1 series, it was rushed into service so it can be and has been used in Iraq.

Staffan

an old friend of mine who I flew with on the NEACP was an Army Mech Infantry guy in Vietnam. He talked one time about his unit being surrounded and under siege one night by a much larger force. As they ran out of ammo and VC started swarming over the wire they broke out those last rounds for their 105's at point blank range. There were no VC survivors.

My friend is here today because of those rounds.