Sign in to follow this  
WarlordATF

A Plane i had never heard of...

Late last night i was flipping channels and PBS had a story on about the NC-4, The first plane to cross the Atlantic Ocean. It was pretty interesting as i had always thought Lindbergh was first, but in fact it was the US Navy who first made the crossing in a seaplane in 1919! I'm sure some of you already know this, but i thought i would share the info for those who don't.

Heres the story...

http://aerofiles.com/nc4.html

Edited by WarlordATF

You're slightly confused is all.

Lindbergh is known for the first transatlantic non stop solo flight (specifically between New York and Paris).

I knew about the NC-4 from way back when...however, it was far from non-stop.

FastCargo

Late last night i was flipping channels and PBS had a story on about the NC-4, The first plane to cross the Atlantic Ocean. It was pretty interesting as i had always thought Lindbergh was first, but in fact it was the US Navy who first made the crossing in a seaplane in 1919! I'm sure some of you already know this, but i thought i would share the info for those who don't.

Heres the story...

http://aerofiles.com/nc4.html

I believe that the NC-4 was manufactured by Curtiss. Lindbergh was the first to do it solo.

Yes it was Curtiss, the plane was pretty cool and its a pretty amazing accomplishment considering this was just shortly after WWI. Its just kinda weird that we have all heard of Lindbergh's flight but i don't think the NC-4 was ever even mentioned when i was in school. Granted Lindbergh did it alone and non-stop, no doubt an amazing feat. But these guys were heros in there own right and the Spirit of St. Louis is like a F-22 compared to the NC-4. Its sad they get so little recognition.

Also, I'm sorry to the mods that this got double posted, i'm not sure how that happened, but thanks to whoever fixed it!

It took the NC-4 19 days with multiple stops.

1 month later Alcock & Brown flew a converted Vickers Vimy over non-stop in under 17 hours.