Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for asking this, but does anyone know of any skins for 8 Sqdn RAF Hunter FGA9s?

I'd be very grateful for any assistance!

I personally don't know of any, but it should be fairly easy to make. I'd assume you just need to make the decals for the squadron markings. Everything else is (hopefully!) already in game; serial numbers, letters and the like

I nominate Spinners as our Official RAF/Commonwealth Skin Dude :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

PS: weclome to CombatAce!!

Indeed, the in-game hunter will already have the basic camo. You could also go for a nice dual 8/43 Sqn Aden crisis jet as seen on the example at the RAF museum at Hendon!

Well I'm a rubbish skinner and the stock Hunter skin is such a cracker but I will do the main decal (I might have already done it, I can't remember) and NFG has already done the serial numbers. I'm not on my 'Strike Fighters' PC so give me a bit of time.

:good:

I knew you'd rise to the challenge!!! (besides, you know more about the RAF marking than I do... :haha: )

WRench

kevin stein

The AD Hunter F6 is a super aircraft too. Lots of scope for skinning and decals etc.

More Hunters please, truly a beautiful aeroplane.

Sorry Spinners but you are the current "Mr.Skin RAF & Commonwealth 2008" after all... :biggrin:

BTW, I have a home-made template for AD's Hunter if ever anyone needs it....just ask!

Wrench

kevin stein

Gents I'm overwhelmed by your responses - my father flew with that squadron, having also flown Sabres in Korea. I have a teenage son who would be so pleased to be able to fly in an 8 sqdn plane. Thanks again, I'm truly chuffed!

RAFHunterFGA98.jpg

Hunter FGA.9 of No.8 squadron, Royal Air Force.

http://www.8squadron.co.uk/history_hunter.php

Quite a good read that and I didn't know that they'd operated the FR.10!

I did mine without looking but I notice that the profile shows no suadron badge on the nose, white letters and serials (black on the undersides I'd imagine) and a raised set of 'bands' with notches at the end.

Edit - Would you happen to know what serial number(s) your dad flew in?

EASTENDERS TIME!!!

Edited by Spinners

Changing the colors of the letters is pretty easy -- Iv'e done this countless times for just regular numbers.

You'll have to extract all the RAF letters from either the object cat, or the main decals folder (don't remember where they are), and create a new /D subfolder in the 8Sqdn skin folder. Put the extracted decals in there.

Open them in you imaging/paint program (I use photoshop - other progams should be similiar). With "Channels" tab selected, you'll have the 3 RGB sections, and the Alpha. Selecting the RGB, you'll use the paint bucket or flood tool to fill that section with black. This leaves the Alpha layer intact, to show the black letter through it.

Then all you'll need to do is rewrite the path in the decals ini, specifing the 8Sqdn skin folder

FilenameFormat=HunterFGA9/8Sqdn/D/RAF_letter

sumpting like that should do. That way, you don't have to rename all the tgas. Yah, I'm lazy!

Wrench

kevin stein

EDIT: opppsy.. .you said white letters. Use 15 -20% gray. that'll make them look a little faded

Spinners, that looks amazing! Found this nice snippet about my dad on the 8 sqdn site:

"For some months, the Helicopter Flight at Khormaksar had been grounded, thus reducing the chances of a downed Venom pilot being rescued to almost nil. Therefore, in September, a Venom drop tank was modified to carry a standard .303 rifle, fifty rounds of ammunition and ten pints of water by the “B” Flight Commander. Flight trials were carried out with the asymmetric load and they proved successful. The tank could be dropped to a downed pilot at 180kts from 140 feet AGL." Nice mod!

I'm not sure what serial number FGA9s he flew. I know he was in T7 XL615 when it lost an argument with a mountain.

I really am delighted by your help.

No problem mate. I'm just having a play with some modified bands and thankfully I already have some white letters.

Stay tuned.

Richard6 & Spinners

If you prefer the less weathered look for the skin, have a look at the RJAF Hunter I have posted. I was planning to do a few Hunter FGA9s but not No.8 Squadron. Your welcome to use the skin - its only a repaint of the stock.

LloydNB

Edited by LloydNB

Hope you don't mind Spinners but I've been working on serials for the 8 Sqn machines.

Only a few and of these I only know one airframe is the correct one but it's better than nowt.

Includes the underwing serials too and rank pennant badges.

Let me know if you need em.

gallery_28053_226_66952.jpg

The Hunter...

A dream to fly around in, a nightmare to fight in.

My main comp is messed up at the moment but i plan on trying the Hunter in combat again soon. If anyone really wants a challenge they should give the Hunter a whirl.

The Hunter...

A dream to fly around in, a nightmare to fight in.

My main comp is messed up at the moment but i plan on trying the Hunter in combat again soon. If anyone really wants a challenge they should give the Hunter a whirl.

I agree.

The Hunter does pose a challenge but not an insurmountable one. You have to think and plan your tactics. Be flexible and know your limits and she'll bring you home. As a dedicated mud-mover I enjoy air to ground in the Hunter and try to avoid a dogfight unless it's the only way out. Even then I'll break off as soon as I can.

Yes, you've got to love the Hunter... :ok:

Good work NFG - you are the goddess of RAF serial numbers!

BTW what font did you use for those?

BTW what font did you use for those?

Cheers Alfie !

RAF birds just look sooo naked without any serial numbers :rolleyes:

It's called RAF_PW_ATH. Spot on for RAF serials.

Available at www.simmerspaintshop.com