Sign in to follow this  
LCountach

Semi-Surrealistic FlightModel Tweak - Cobra Helicopter

I recently started tinkering with the Cobra's FM to make it act more realistically. The results were actually quite surprising so I decided to share. Don't expect miracles. I am no FM genius or anything. I was just tinkering. Here is what I came up with.

First I attached Thrust Vectoring to the Stick's/Cyclic Pitch control. Ingame it will not let you assign TWO control functions to the same joystick axis. However this can be done by editing the Controls ".INI". Make a copy of your current Controls ".INI" and name whatever you want to. Open the copy with Notepad and look for these entries.

PITCH_CONTROL=JOYSTICK01_Y-AXIS <------Copy this AXIS to "THRUST_VECTOR_CONTROL"

YAW_CONTROL=JOYSTICK01_Z-ROTATION

ROLL_CONTROL=JOYSTICK01_X-AXIS

THROTTLE_CONTROL=JOYSTICK01_U-AXIS

THRUST_VECTOR_CONTROL=JOYSTICK01_Y-AXIS <------Paste the "PITCH_CONTROL" AXIS here.

[RangedControl008]

AxisControl=THRUST_VECTOR_CONTROL

MaxValue=1000.000000

MinValue=0.000000

DeadZone=0.000000

Saturation=100.000000

ReverseJoystick=FALSE <------ I also changed this to "FALSE"

MouseScale=1.000000

UseMouseRate=FALSE

ReverseMouse=FALSE

LimitValue=TRUE

SelfCenterRate=0.000000

KeyControlRate=1.000000

AllowKeyControl=TRUE

IncreaseControl=THRUST_VECTOR_UP

DecreaseControl=THRUST_VECTOR_DOWN

CenterControl=

Save the ".INI" and exit notepad. Don't forget when you get back into the game to select this new ".INI"

NOTE: This tweak may also help you fly the F-22 or any jet with similar Thrust Vectoring.

I am using the AH-1W so I edited the "AH-1W_DATA.INI". Make a backup of your Cobra's data.ini so you can restore later if you want to. Open the ".INI" and locate the "Engines" Edit them to match my example below. What I changed is highlighted in BOLD.

This will be our forward thrust engine. Increasing the thrust will give more forward speed. Unfortunately more thrust results in shaking and more difficult hovering.

[Engine1]

SystemType=JET_ENGINE

InputName=THROTTLE_CONTROL

EngineID=1

HasAfterburner=FALSE

SLThrustDry=90000.0

ThrustAngles=0.0,10.0,0.0

ThrustPosition=0.0,0.0,0.0

ThrottleRate=0.3

IdleThrottle=0.10

IdleRPM=0.01

IdleNozzle=0.90

CruiseThrottle=0.37

CruiseRPM=0.82

CruiseNozzle=0.25

MilThrottle=1.0

MilRPM=1.00

MilNozzle=0.25

MaxThrottle=0.78

MaxRPM=1.00

MaxNozzle=0.25

AltitudeTableNumData=10

AltitudeTableDeltaX=3048.0

AltitudeTableStartX=0.0

AltitudeTableData=1.000,0.744,0.557,0.423,0.326,0.277,0.054,0.025,0.000,0.000

DryMachTableNumData=4

DryMachTableDeltaX=0.4

DryMachTableStartX=0.0

DryMachTableData=1.000,0.980,1.000,0.000

TSFCM0=0.6

TSFCM1=1.0

ThrustVectoring=FALSE

;ThrustVectorInputName=THRUST_VECTOR_CONTROL

ThrustVectorControlRate=2.0

ThrustVectorAnimationID=

MaxVectoredPitchAngle=100.0

MinFuelFlow=0.01

ExhaustEmitterName=

ExhaustPosition=

AfterburnerEmitterName=

AfterburnerEffectSize=

FireSuppression=FALSE

This will be our lift engine. Vectoring will be attached to the Cyclic and make controlling Pitch at low speeds much more responsive.

[Engine2]

SystemType=JET_ENGINE

InputName=THROTTLE_CONTROL

EngineID=2

HasAfterburner=FALSE

SLThrustDry=90000.0

ThrustAngles=0.0,50.0,0.0

ThrustPosition=0.0,0.0,0.0

ThrottleRate=0.3

IdleThrottle=0.10

IdleRPM=0.01

IdleNozzle=0.90

CruiseThrottle=0.37

CruiseRPM=0.82

CruiseNozzle=0.25

MilThrottle=1.0

MilRPM=1.00

MilNozzle=0.25

MaxThrottle=0.78

MaxRPM=1.00

MaxNozzle=0.25

AltitudeTableNumData=10

AltitudeTableDeltaX=3048.0

AltitudeTableStartX=0.0

AltitudeTableData=1.000,0.744,0.557,0.423,0.326,0.277,0.054,0.025,0.000,0.000

DryMachTableNumData=4

DryMachTableDeltaX=0.4

DryMachTableStartX=0.0

DryMachTableData=1.000,0.980,1.000,0.000

TSFCM0=0.6

TSFCM1=1.0

ThrustVectoring=TRUE

;ThrustVectorInputName=THRUST_VECTOR_CONTROL

ThrustVectorControlRate=2.0

ThrustVectorAnimationID=

MaxVectoredPitchAngle=135.0

MinFuelFlow=0.01

ExhaustEmitterName=HarrierEngineEmitter <------Only add this to check if the thrust is being controlled in sync with your Cyclic.

ExhaustPosition=

AfterburnerEmitterName=

AfterburnerEffectSize=

FireSuppression=FALSE

Thats all there is to it. Give it a try and let me know what you think. :good:

If someone has already done such a tweak sorry if I copied you. I did a search and did not see anything.

This gonna be a learning exp.Can't wait to apply and go fly!LCountach,thx's for this gem!

WAIT!!!! IGNORE MY TOP POST!!!

I HAVE A NEW CYCLIC CONTROL METHOD IN THE WORKS!

I borrowed it from the harrier. It allows very realistic cyclic movement at any speed! EVEN Okts FULL HOVER!!! Just wait I am still testing it. So far high froward speed still requires thrust vectoring but the cyclic will now respond at any speed!

How can I edit the top post? I want to erase most of it but the edit button is gone. How can I fix it?

Edited by LCountach

WAIT!!!! IGNORE MY TOP POST!!!

I HAVE A NEW CYCLIC CONTROL METHOD IN THE WORKS!

I borrowed it from the harrier. It allows very realistic cyclic movement at any speed! EVEN Okts FULL HOVER!!! Just wait I am still testing it. So far high froward speed still requires thrust vectoring but the cyclic will now respond at any speed!

How can I edit the top post? I want to erase most of it but the edit button is gone. How can I fix it?

I think you should have at least 30 posts....

Or ask an Moderator.

:good:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?act=boardrules

I think you should have at least 30 posts....

Or ask an Moderator.

:good:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?act=boardrules

Not sure how that link helps Silverbolt. Perhaps I missed something about editing there but thanks anyway.

As for the Flight Model goes. I have it 100% working like a real Helicopter other than lack of Collective control. Throttle acts both as Collective and Throttle combined. Lack of separate collective makes the heli want to climb constantly while trying stop and come to a hover. The Cyclic works great! Pitch and role at any speed. Pitch forward to accelerate an pitch Back to slow. Fantastic! I don't know the characteristics of a real Cobra nor do I think I could fine tune the FM as such. However it now flies like a true heli should. Wait for the Video...

I had to do heavy modding to the .INI so I must first ask permission to post it.

waitaminute... it's probably been tried, but wouldn't this mean that you'd be able to map thrust vectoring to the pitch axis of the joystick while it still controlls pitch? or did I just read this wrong? All you'd have to do is make pitch controll and thrust vector controll both the joystick Y axis? I'd try it, but i really haven't the time.

Not sure how that link helps Silverbolt. Perhaps I missed something about editing there but thanks anyway.

As for the Flight Model goes. I have it 100% working like a real Helicopter other than lack of Collective control. Throttle acts both as Collective and Throttle combined. Lack of separate collective makes the heli want to climb constantly while trying stop and come to a hover. The Cyclic works great! Pitch and role at any speed. Pitch forward to accelerate an pitch Back to slow. Fantastic! I don't know the characteristics of a real Cobra nor do I think I could fine tune the FM as such. However it now flies like a true heli should. Wait for the Video...

I had to do heavy modding to the .INI so I must first ask permission to post it.

:blink:

OMG ! it used to explan who was able to delete and edit posts...

waitaminute... it's probably been tried, but wouldn't this mean that you'd be able to map thrust vectoring to the pitch axis of the joystick while it still controlls pitch? or did I just read this wrong? All you'd have to do is make pitch controll and thrust vector controll both the joystick Y axis? I'd try it, but i really haven't the time.

Yes Rambler you read right. All you need to do is edit the ".INI" to use the same AXIS for both Vectoring and Pitch. A great tip for the F-22 but read my big red text. I have come up with a completely different scheme that works FANTASTIC for helis! I am making a quick video now.

On a related side note. I can not get the main rotor blades to visually turn. I have read you just need to edit the "PropDiameter" to equal "6.1" but that doesn't work for me. The blades turn if I start a mission in the air but if I start from the runway they won't turn. Any ideas?

Yes Rambler you read right. All you need to do is edit the ".INI" to use the same AXIS for both Vectoring and Pitch. A great tip for the F-22 but read my big red text. I have come up with a completely different scheme that works FANTASTIC for helis! I am making a quick video now.

On a related side note. I can not get the main rotor blades to visually turn. I have read you just need to edit the "PropDiameter" to equal "6.1" but that doesn't work for me. The blades turn if I start a mission in the air but if I start from the runway they won't turn. Any ideas?

well, i'm very courious to watch this video :good:

As promised here is a quick video.

The new flight model is simply amazing! I have asked permission to post it. Now I must wait for a response. What I have learned is probably applicable to any heli. It is just a matter of tweaking each model to fly like its real life counterpart. That is a job better suited to someone else. Anyway, here is hoping he gives the OK. :good:

Looks like the landings may take a little more practice. :wink:

Looks good, cool potential. Would love to see more helis in game.

Have you dared attempt AI in one, or do they thoroughly freak out?

Looks like the landings may take a little more practice. :wink:

Looks good, cool potential. Would love to see more helis in game.

Have you dared attempt AI in one, or do they thoroughly freak out?

The AI can not take off from the ground (usually crash) however they can support you if the mission is started in the air. I just tested a few missions and they did shoot and destroy targets.

Edited by LCountach

Oh yeah!Love those Helo's and tank busting!Hopefully,this will be the start (finally!) to a real look at adding stock choppers into future Tk series Because,of LCountach contributions and Stormtroopers helping us fix the still rotor problem (Sept. 08 patch).Not to mention Rotorworks, Gramps and many others. Afghanistan,Israel,Iran/Iraq/Kuwaiti,Modern_Korea,Europe and Vietnam isn't same without them.Think about a WWIII what if without choppers?Doesn't make any sense does it?

Thanks for this LCountach

Stormtrooper's fix here http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=32516&hl does not fix the rotor for me. As I said before, the rotor works IF AND ONLY IF the mission starts in the air but NOT if started from the runway. Starting in the air with default "PropDiameter=13.245" works just fine. The edit PropDiameter=6.1 does not work for me on the ground. Please does anyone else know a different solution?

I got the OK to share the Flight Model. When we get the details worked out (and the main rotor working) it will be available on the creators websight here: http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/ Sorry but you just have to wait. I know. I know. I HATE WAITING TOO!!! I could share now with an attached zip but I will do the right thing an go through the original creators websight.

Edited by LCountach

Quick update. I must have broken something somewhere in my typing/editing. I just copy pasted [Engine3] over from the original and edited PropDiameter=6.1. The main rotor works again. My Bad! :blush:

You were right Stormtrooper. Thanks

Edited by LCountach

LCountach,

You might also want to look at the helo FMs in the Falklands Mod... done by Kreelin (I think), they are more advanced versions of what you are describing here- the AI can handle it pretty well; there's a wealth of information there :)

LCountach,

You might also want to look at the helo FMs in the Falklands Mod... done by Kreelin (I think), they are more advanced versions of what you are describing here- the AI can handle it pretty well; there's a wealth of information there :)

Very true but looking at it and understanding what he did is far beyond me right know. I tried. I have also flown those helis and to be honest there are quite unstable inside the Falklands Mod. They won't fly straight no matter what. Always pitching Up and Down and Up and Down. Drives me crazy! No heli sim I have ever flown ever acted like those helis. I copied the A109-A into WOE and it actually flew just like my implementation. They must have done something in the Falklands Mod to make it more unstable in an efort to make it realistic. I think it is TOO unstable. As for the AI with my model. They seem to function ok once in the air. You can't tell my AI helis to take off because they pull back WAY TOO HARD, smack the tail and go BOOM! What I am experimenting with can probably be applied to any of the older helis with minimal effort because I understand how my implementation works. If Kreelin wanted to port his flight model to other helis, that would be cool. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

On a completely unrelated side note. With my new found maneuverability the physics engine in WOE is showing some abnormalities. Rockets seem only to soot in the direction the aircraft is actually traveling. With a heli you can achieve all kinds of CRAZY slip angles. Unfortunately the rockets don't go where the aircraft is facing. They go where the aircraft is actualy heading. It is quite odd to see a rocket launch to a 45 degree angle off your nose. Guns and grenades are unaffected but hitting things with rockets is now very difficult! Perhaps there is a fix for this? Anybody?

I'm not sure how long ago you downloaded your helos but as far as i know the fix has been added to prevent that.

Not to say what you've done has counter-acted that since i don't know.

The helos are the latest release. What fix are you referring to? Rockets, Rotor, Pitching what? If it is rockets I may have broken something. I did heavily mod the data.ini.

An update was released that stopped the AI from pitching backwards and blowing up.

Ahh. I will look for it but I am pretty sure I did not touch it. I only edited the physical control surfaces and engines but just that might have done it. Do you remember exactly what the fix was? As in what values were edited?

As for the rocket thing. The stock A-10A does the crazy sideways shooting too if you side slip enough. I guess it's a game thing. Anybody got a fix for it?

Edited by LCountach