Flight Model: Column5

Hangar Painting: Julhelm

---------------------------------------------

Features:

* Virtual cockpit

* Extensive exterior detail

* Accurate markings for VF-102 and VF(AW)-3

* Fueltanks with unit-specific markings

* Custom FFAR Rocketpods with radar targeting and which can be used by the AI when attacking aircraft!

Installation notes:

Simply extract the F4D-1 folder into your Objects\Aircraft folder, the files in the F4D-1 Weapons folder into your weapons folder and then add the info contained in the two text files to their respective target files (gundata and weapondata) and run the editors to compile the files.

Legal s**t:

This file cannot be used in any payware packages or such, it also cannot be changed or tampered with in any way, or uploaded in any shape or form by a third party without my consent or permission.

Failure to adher to these rules will be punished by summary execution by firing squad - Your next of kin shall be billed for the expended cartridge.

You have been warned.

------------------------------------------

Nils 'Julhelm' Dücker

NilsD@bredband.net

Edited by Julhelm

Woah, Julhelm is rocking this week!

This has been a red letter week at CA for aircraft. Thanks Julhelm.

What sort of a week is this ? This sort of makes up for everything at the stock exchange !!! :bad::wink:

Thanks a lot Nils

Aju,

Derk :bye:

Tested!!! The plane rocks :clapping: !!! Splendid work by any standards :good: !!!! I found a major (fixable) bug - the ailerons doesn´t work - the plane can´t roll!!!! :dntknw:

You're probably not running the Sept08 patch that brings WOV/E to WOI standard.

You´re right Sir! No new patch for me - too much troubles! Any fix for my problem?

You´re right Sir! No new patch for me - too much troubles! Any fix for my problem?

The patch improves just about everything in the sim. Things are broke because they need to be brought up to the new patch standards. Why is that hard for so many people to understand? I am getting so sick of these "My sim don't work anymore because of the patch." posts. :aggressive: :angry2:

I love this plane for sentimental reasons. A million thanks, Julhelm. You have made my day, my month and the year for me when it comes to this sim. Chapeau!

I'm afraid you'll just have to bite the sour apple and patch your sim. It's not that difficult if you back up all the modded stuff and install that on top of a patched install afterwards. Usually it'll only break weapon and effect mods which are easy to reapply.

Thanks so much Julhelm for this Skyray and your Vigilante models. These are simply outstanding examples of your craftsmanship and dedication!

YES!!!!

That hangar screen of mine with the Douglas Aircraft art by RG Smith finally has a home!!!

Many thanks Julhelm!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

YES!!!!

That hangar screen of mine with the Douglas Aircraft art by RG Smith finally has a home!!!

Many thanks Julhelm!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

...You don't like my matte painting? :dntknw:

...You don't like my matte painting? :dntknw:

I like it a lot. Julhelm painted that himself you know.

LOL, Wrench, The just has very specific ideas about what a hangar scren should be. :smile:

LOL, Wrench, The just has very specific ideas about what a hangar scren should be. :smile:

This is true...... :biggrin:

Great Mod! Never thought I would see a Skyray in the sim since it's such a little known aircraft. That being said I'm having one minor issue with the invisible drop tanks has anyone else had this issue, and my sim has been upgraded with the latest patch. I noticed that the fuel tank bitmaps are in the squadron folders where I assume they belong. Any insight on my issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan

LOL, Wrench, The just has very specific ideas about what a hangar screen should be

Unfortunate, but true. Expecially when you get the art work of them by the guy that worked for the company that made them. With the size of my art collection......

Juls, I LIKE the painting a LOT!!! It just these old eyes can't read the mission description....I made it the loading screen :biggrin: Although I liked the screenie loading too!!!

I'm so confused!!! :crazy:

That cockpit alone is worth the download!!! Super job man, really! We just about have a complete 1950s CAW!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Some flight model notes on this one:

You might fly the Skyray and think that it is a little underwhelming, and you would be sharing the same sentiments as the US Navy! The plane was designed at a time when radical ideas were being tried, and also at a time in which practically every Navy aircraft program suffered from the failure of the Westinghouse J40 engine. The Skyray suffered from some aerodynamic problems that limted its top speed to something just over Mach 1, but at low level it was actually pretty sporty, and held some closed course speed records for a short time.

Ed Heineman in his wisdom left enough space in the fuselage to accomodate other engines, and eventually the Skyray was powered by an early version of the J57. Range and endurance were always a problem, since the plane carries less than 4000 lbs internal fuel. But, it was designed to be a point-defence interceptor for the fleet, and was never intended to loiter on station. Still, it is said that its extremely short legs caused havoc with carrier cycle times. The Skyray never had a truly effective weapons system. Its good rate of climb made it a good platform for intercepts, but once it had found a target, it didn't have much capability to shoot it down. 20mm cannon were initially installed, but these were invariably removed at the squadron level to reduce weight, and unguided rockets were relied on for shooting down bombers. The AIM-9B was eventually added, but even then only two could be carried (the drop tanks were a necessity). In that sense, its contemporary and competitor, the F3H Demon, was a more effective all-weather interceptor being armed with the Sparrow III.

The main handling idiosyncrosy--which I was not able to successfully replicate--is a sharp pitch-down (as much as -3g!) as the aircraft passed through the transonic region. This reversed and became a strong pitch-up as the aircraft slowed down again. The large trim surfaces were designed to compensate for this, and initially an automatic system was installed, which proved defective and dangerous because it rarely operated both trim surfaces perfectly in sync. This was disabled and pilots could control them manually, but apparantly most just anticiapted and compensated for the problem using the stick. These trim tabs are functional in game, btw, just use the thrust vector input.

Douglas eventually worked out these problems and produced the F5D Skylancer, but by that time it was too late--the F8U and F4H had raised the state of the art to a new level.

The Skyray though is a great piece of history, because it is a microcosm of things that were going on in military aircraft development in the 1950s...and it looks cool as hell.

Great Mod! Never thought I would see a Skyray in the sim since it's such a little known aircraft. That being said I'm having one minor issue with the invisible drop tanks has anyone else had this issue, and my sim has been upgraded with the latest patch. I noticed that the fuel tank bitmaps are in the squadron folders where I assume they belong. Any insight on my issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan

Is there any other info you could give me? The tanks being invisible sounds strange because they are part of the aircraft's lod and I haven't been able to replicate that error here.

wow!I'ts been 2 days that I'm sick on bed with high temp. and looking it this morning was like an allucination!But it's TRUE!!!Finally the ford!!!!!Thanks julhelm!!!!!!

Is there any other info you could give me? The tanks being invisible sounds strange because they are part of the aircraft's lod and I haven't been able to replicate that error here.

Same problem here, only they aren't invisible, they are tiny little white cubes floating under the pylons.