I was wondering if the heaters carried by the Hog will get a greater lock up distance. Right now I have to get within two miles of the choppers before I get a good lock. Or is it just that the choppers are harder fo the Aim9 to lock on?

TY

The latter is probably true. The Soviets learned the hard way how vulnerable combat helos are to MANPADs in Afghanistan. Based upon those experiences they (like the US) went to great lengths to reduce the IR-signature of their newer helicopters with specially designed exhausts that mix hot gases from the turbines with cold air.

Guest MrMudd

Adding to what Trident said.

Their are alsos IR jammers and Enviromental Conditions. the colder the backdrop the better the IR siugnature of the target, thus provideing a longer Engagement Weapon employment zone.

This is what is makeing this sim "Lock on Modern Combat" closer to real modern combat.

You will enjoy this sim when it comes out. It simulates the "real world enviroment" very well for a multitude flyable aircraft Simulation.

So if we find a helo playin around in the snow... we get better range on heaters?

Guest MrMudd

Their is weather and temperature modeling in the sim.

So i would say yes. the aspect angle and back drop temps are considerations in the formulas used, as well as the aircrafts IR signature.

Monitoring the boards I learned that there will be two heat signatures (for each aircraft - ?) : in normal mode and in afterburner. But not variations within those.

So, its not like putting your engine at idle will forestall a heater launch as your approaching the merge. Might as well leave it at 100%.

Unless that has changed recently, of course. I would happily welcome being corrected here.