Hi

I got an ideea for the MW-1 carried by German F4. Like a pod for side firing rockets. The rockets would fly a very short distance like max 50 m and detonate on impact. It would be interesting.

Could this be done?

Edited by tomcat1974

Hi tomcat1974,

the MW-1 is not used by the German F-4F´s but was only tested with one from WTG-61 GAF test Center. It was build for use with the Tornados.

Regards

Striker01

Hi tomcat1974,

the MW-1 is not used by the German F-4F´s but was only tested with one from WTG-61 GAF test Center. It was build for use with the Tornados.

Regards

Striker01

well it would be a nice addition to it.:) I know the F4F where mroe tasked as Interceptors.

We used them as fighter-bombers till early ´90s with MK-82, BL-755 and Maverick AGM-65B. The problem flying the MW-1 on an F-4F seem to be that only short range flights could be done. Due to the fact that it is Centerline mounted and the wingtanks would block the flightpath of the bomlets. The Tornado Wings are mounted much higher and so are the fueltanks. Sorry, I did´nt find a Photo on an F-4F on a testride

Regards

Striker01

post-8-1067529389_thumb.jpg

Edited by striker01

Not 100% a problem. Point is that usually when a fighter bomber enter in engagement area first move is to dump his Fuel Tanks in order to increase its Energy. Due to this , the F4 would most certainly dump the fuel tanks before heading to the target to be attached by MW1.

Ok, thats right. I don´t know, if the inner pylons have an effect on this.

Striker01