Sign in to follow this  
LCountach

Infantry Shooting From The Jungle

I was playing WOV about a week ago. I decided to try the first campaign with the Thunderchief. I like to fly low and fast and I noticed that there were a great many random tracer bursts shooting up from the jungle. I usually play Single Mission I had never seen random shooting before. I assumed it was infantry because there were no objects on the ground where the shots would come from. I was definitely flying low enough to have seen something if it was there. I have decided to go back to the campaign but now every mission I fly there are no random bursts coming from the jungle. What conditions must be met to get those infantry back? I know I was not hallucinating because those shots were there for a great many miles of those missions. Please tell me I was not seeing things.

i think thats an Yankee Air Pirate feature....

I was playing WOV about a week ago. I decided to try the first campaign with the Thunderchief. I like to fly low and fast and I noticed that there were a great many random tracer bursts shooting up from the jungle. I usually play Single Mission I had never seen random shooting before. I assumed it was infantry because there were no objects on the ground where the shots would come from. I was definitely flying low enough to have seen something if it was there. I have decided to go back to the campaign but now every mission I fly there are no random bursts coming from the jungle. What conditions must be met to get those infantry back? I know I was not hallucinating because those shots were there for a great many miles of those missions. Please tell me I was not seeing things.

No such thing in a stock install. Sorry.

I assumed it was infantry because there were no objects on the ground where the shots would come from.

Infantry is treated as an object. So, if it were there, you would have been able to select it as a target when you were close enough. I'll bet it was a few randomly placed AAA sites, probably ZU23-2s or 14.7s.

Well I have never used yankeeairpirate so that rules that out. I know it was the stock Rolling Thunder campaign. I always play on hard. So trying to lock them would have been impossible. Now they are gone so it's truly impossible. As for them being AAA there would have been quite a lot of them. I am talking 20+ placed randomly in the jungle along my route. They were also quite inaccurate. I was flying at less than 200 feet and saw no object to which I could say the tracers were coming from. However more than one of you claim there are no infantry so I must agree. What else could it be? Strangely why have I not encountered such an occurrence in any other mission?

Well I have never used yankeeairpirate so that rules that out. I know it was the stock Rolling Thunder campaign. I always play on hard. So trying to lock them would have been impossible. Now they are gone so it's truly impossible. As for them being AAA there would have been quite a lot of them. I am talking 20+ placed randomly in the jungle along my route. They were also quite inaccurate. I was flying at less than 200 feet and saw no object to which I could say the tracers were coming from. However more than one of you claim there are no infantry so I must agree. What else could it be? Strangely why have I not encountered such an occurrence in any other mission?

I agree with Fubar512 - it must have been AAA. You usually can't see them from the cockpit unless you know they're there and you are very close. As for it not happening since, maybe you haven't had to go to the same target area from the same base and the other routes you've flown just happen to have less AAA...?

IIRC, the A-37B (Big gun, small plane?) mission had some infantry that you had to kill and would shoot at you.

Thats all I can think of outside of YAP, which I dont have.

Take it from a guy whos been shot up on more than few occasions while down low. It's not infantry, it's triple A.

If while heading back to base at altitude and in a safe situation, use the view buttons to see a truly scary sight. The absolutly mind bending amount of AAA that is in and around certain areas. I've gotten screenshots where i thought only a single gun was firing at me and later realized that up to twenty-thirty 14.5mm, 23mm, and 57mm guns were trying to get me. :blink:

Take it from a guy whos been shot up on more than few occasions while down low. It's not infantry, it's triple A.

If while heading back to base at altitude and in a safe situation, use the view buttons to see a truly scary sight. The absolutly mind bending amount of AAA that is in and around certain areas. I've gotten screenshots where i thought only a single gun was firing at me and later realized that up to twenty-thirty 14.5mm, 23mm, and 57mm guns were trying to get me. :blink:

Thats really cool. Wish I could find more missions with that many AAA.

Partly why WOV is my favourite out of the whole series.

It's not a game, it's an experience. :wink:

Thats really cool. Wish I could find more missions with that many AAA.

Ok,

my general view is that pretty much anyplace north from Thanh Hoa is a danger zone for anyone flying but there are a few spots where the flak is sorta rare. That being said, once you wander away from those spots it's potentially your life at any given moment if you are flying stupidly.

Ground Zero is Hanoi without a doubt. There is probaly more AAA in and around that city than in all of the map in WOE. To say that flying missions to that place is hairy is a massive understatement.

Haiphong is the next best place to experience high pucker factor.

But not to worry, there's more. Thai Ngyuen, Yen Bai, Viet Tri, Phu Tho. The last three can flown over with only minor course corections so you can experience prolonged exposure to flak. Oh yeah, i almost forgot the 100mm shooting gallery NE of Than Hoa. it'll help you empathize with those B-17 guys over Germany in WW2. That one lasts until until Nam Dihn is past your 3-9 line. Since i'm on about 100mms let me tell you of another good route. Head on up and turn hard right so you approach Hanoi from due west. In the distance you'll see an airfield that you're going to fly over. About 5 miles before that base is a hill i call "SAM KNOLL". From then on you are a clay pigeon in a shooting gallery. Expect nonstop flak all the way to Hanoi and back. BTW, you are also going to experience the joys of flying directly over a SAM site.

Airfields and SAM sites are chock full of AAA. Since one is almost always near the other means that you can have twice the flak fun since the lead being thrown at you has increased in density. Hanoi once again provides what has to be a unique setting. Not only does the city itself has damn near as many guns as buildings, but it's ringed by 3 airfields and 3 SAM sites. Just to add a bit more there's two other SAM sites in the neighborhood to give some support.

I hope you find your flak soon. Me? I've enough to last me. That distinctive hard PING of a hit on my aircraft then looking down in the cockpit to see the instruments telling me that my bird is dying is something i truly want to avoid.