Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

The Weekend From Hell...

Well fellas, Im in Ramona, which is near San Diego. This fire has really put a bad ding in everything. My cable was out as was everything else, no lights for 2 days...just came on a couple hours ago. Had a hell of a weekend. I actually fought fire on a fire line for 8 hours, boy what a rush. The damn thing was stopped twice but it finally flanked us and forced us to run for our lives. Sounded like a sizzling freight train behind me. The fires come within 200 yards of my house, burnt down a freinds house just over the ridge, and rampaged thru the ranch where most of my pals live. Never saw so many deer, quail, and dove in one place runnin ahead of the fire. It was like a living thing. We actually found ourselves talking and yelling to it as we shoveled. I know I HATE fire now. Took out the barns and wetback shacks, and a garage. But the houses survived, except for the one, burned right up to the walls but adobe dont burn too well...still cleaning up. San Diego county is a MESS like you wouldnt believe. 13 dead, 900 homes at least destroyed, 500,000 acres burned and fires are still going nearby. The air is so thick you can cut it, been wheezing the last 2 days. Finally got a westerly wind today and saw blue sky for first time since saturday. Didnt sleep for 48 hours. Evacuated two families, 18 horses, and warned the neighborhood to start packing and get out when fire flanked us.

Im gonna wait a while till this is cleared up before I game, cya, Jeff

Totally blows PC. I got a bunch of family out there (mom's side), and got a sh*tload of property in San Diego (couple mil worth of apartment complexes (get'em when moms passes), think there in town though)..... hmm wonder if they are fire insured.

How are things up on the Mesa's, I got some family (hadn't seen since I was 5) that live up there... forget where though, just know it was like an hour outa SD, ontop of some scary ass mesa..... can fire climb rocks?

Back to your situation, I heard on the news that some F*CK started the fire (or one of them) with some sort of incendiary device, tossed it out his car window or somethin.

Rest assured if he's caught, he'll be makin a nice trip to the gas chamber.

Stay safe,

Saffell

Good luck, all of you are my prayers. I hope you guys make it out ok.

Our thoughts are with you PCPilot and the brave firefighters out there. We had a rash of fires here in Central Florida a couple of years ago and although it was nothing like what you guys are going through I can remember how the smell was in the air and the smoke was on everything for weeks.

Eventually you guys will get this under control, but whoever started this mess deserves the death penalty IMO. They say its Arson.

Geez, what a week, the pucker factor was sure high. Things are finally getting back under control. This is the first time anyone can remember the schools not running because of a fire. Been out all week. Us district employees been cleaning things back up for the kids return Monday. My house is still full of soot which Im slowly getting clean. My freind who lost his house is having a tough time of it, his wife just had a kid day after the fire. But we are all doing what we can to help him out. There are still several bad fires nearby but the possibility of rain with the cooler temps has helped a lot in controling them. The rumors sure fly. They have charged the hunter, or whatever he was, with involuntary manslughter and another arsonist in LA with homicide. The dingbat cops came thru town telling us to evacuate because a fire was several miles away, but they were several days too late. They tell us one thingm, the radio says another. After what everyone went thru during the week, we werent leaving till we saw flames. Sort of a wait and see attitude. Where were they last Sunday when all hell broke loose? Eatin donuts at crispy cream, hehe. Im not terribly impressed with the emergency responce here except by the firefighters. And even they were telling water truckers to leave the fires to them because the truckers werent qualified to squirt som,e water on the flames while the firefighters were busy elsewhere. Long story so wont go into it but it frosted a lot of people. Our emergency workers here are much appreciatedm, but who do they think did all the firefighting a hundred years ago? They aint the only ones that can man a hose or shovel when things are looking bad dammit.

Anyway, everyone is feeling a little better now. I finally got caught up on my sleep so Im back to my cranky old self. The horses are back in their stalls and folks are headin home finally, those who still have them that is. Thanks for the words of encouragement fellas. By the way, red cross can use some help still with staples like blankets, etc., and San Diego needs blood bad. So if ya get a few minutes...

Hey PCP, sounds like you are having one hell of a rough time. Hang in there buddy!

One question though... not being a guy from the country, I am about as useless around horses, cattle, and other country like stuff as a fish out of water. My question is, what the hell is a wetback shack? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm a city boy from New York City. The closest I've come to a barn is when I drive by one on the way to the Groton Naval Base. :)

-Skater

Guest MrMudd

Holy s**t! :( I sold my home in ramona last year. I lived in the San Diego Estates for 2 years. Where exactly do you live in ramona Pcpilot?

LOL! Skater, a "wetback shack" is the name we gave the bunkhouse where the illegal mexicans, etc used to bunk when they worked at the ranch back in the old days. Nowadays it was merely used for storage, though the name stuck. Now its a rather messed up pile of wood ash with bits of melted metal sticking out of it. So much for its history, hehe. ;)

MrMudd, I live on Dye Road, near San Vicente rd. Im right next to Old man Hoegervorst' chicken ranch and the old dairy. I PM'd ya. If your in the area, maybe we can grab a beer one of these days. Maybe I can even scrounge up a horse or two for a ride. 'course not much to see in the back country right now...

Edited by pcpilot

PC,

My prayers are with you and yours. I live in Kern County and we up here have been watching this monster closely. I know from experiance the angxity you must have felt. In May of '96 I had to leave for a deployment and a firebug set not one but seven grass fires on my side of town. Heading down I5 with all that smoke in your mirror and not knowing if you have a home to go back too was nerve wraking. Hope they catch the SOBs who did this.

Good luck and like I said our prayers are with you.