Sign in to follow this  
magicdragon_88

WOI VERY low fps on GOOD pc

hi i got an AMDx2 4600+ with an overclocked ASUS 8800GT TOP and WOI runs like crap! 20FPS and most of the time lower! i dont know whats going on here because im able to run all new games really good...FSX for example runs at 35+FPS on 1280x1024 with antialiasing, and everything to high....WOE, WOV run perfectly smooth at around 60-70FPS...i dont understand whats going on with this game..it doesnt seem so graphically advanced that i should be getting such low fps ( with shadows off, mirros off, water medium, horizon distance medium) and other medium aswell...anyone got any suggestions??

the only things i can thing of are to try different set ups to see what you get like, horizon to near, water to low, radio chatter effects fps as does

ground items i had a problem like this in WOV while in high ground target areas SAMs and AAA, over Hanoi and haiphong

This series is very CPU intensive, and even more so now with SP5. I'm running a Wolfdale E8400 overclocked to 3600 mHZ, and I still set my horizon distance to "normal".

A further complication of the CPU intensive nature of this series is the fact that dual/multi-core cpus are not supported... i.e. the games run on a single core.

An Athlon 4800X2 (2.4GHz) is roughly the same as my Athlon 3800 Venice single core (2.4GHz).

So, in this case, your 4600X2 (2.2GHz) is a bit more like running a 3500 single core.

I run everything maxed out on my video card (FSAAx6, AFx16) and max out almost everything in-game for 1600x1200x32, but limit horizon to near, shadows to medium, and mirrors off to keep my fps typically at 25 to 35, though it still drops below 20s under certain conditions. I can tweak a few other ingame items like terrain to sustain 40 to 50 fps.

Not sure why your performance at much lower settings (lots of medium) is still giving you such low frame rates.

How much RAM do you have? I am running 2GB.

How much video RAM do you have? I am running 512MB.

When SFP1 was first released, it ran fairly well (30-40 fps) at 1600x1200x32 with FSAAx2 and AFx16 on a 128MB Radeon 8500, prior to that I had it running well at 1024x768x32 on a 65MB Voodoo 5500, my P3 1GHz PC had 1GB of PC133 RAM.

Each game release after that pulled down my FPS.

I had upgraded to a 9800 Pro 128MB and a P3 1.2GHz by the time WOV was out. I played at 1600x1200x32 with FSAAx4 and AFx16 but still had to leave shadows and mirrors turned off to keep FPS at 30 to 40.

WOE dropped me down to the 20s to 30s.

I built my current PC, which allowed me to play maxed out with mirrors and shadows at 45 to 60 fps, only busy places like Hanoi could take down fps with all the sounds and effects due to AAA and SAMs... especially all the "SAM launch" calls.

First Eagles added all the ground objects and droppedmy current PC to 15 to 30 FPS... with a few adjustments, I could maintain 50+.

WOI dropped me solidly into the 20 FPS range, forcing me to go with medium shadows and no mirrors with a near horizon to get my FPS back to 25 to 35 (normal horizon is playable but costs me at least 5 FPS).

Its all about an increase in the number of objects and an increase in the texture sizes.

It looks really good, but comes at a price in performance.

and DX9 Shader Effects :p The Shadows are More Detailed now too, so turn them off, then to low and jump up a setting until your FPS start to drop.

and DX9 Shader Effects :p The Shadows are More Detailed now too, so turn them off, then to low and jump up a setting until your FPS start to drop.

Turning off shader effects will make absolutely no difference in FPS on an 8800GT. Shadows, however, are CPU-intensive.