Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Getting New Computer...which Video Card?

OK so after all these years and over clocking my poor system until I'd get the occasional smell of smoke I have decided to get a new one...now I'm leaning towards the FX card but I see the ATI cards are very good also.what does everyone recommend and why?

Thanks for advice

I was a long time Nvidia user until switching to the radeon last year. I give the Radeon 9700 or 9800 my full endorsement. I'm a big fan of visual quality and the color depth and FSAA of the radeon cards are unmatched by even the FX series. I'm sure the FX is a nice card (I owned GF2-GF4 series) but if your looking for the best visual quality and FSAA you have to go with ATI.

IMHO

btw- if you do take a look at benchmarks you will see that the radeon 9800 actually out performs the newer 9600 fx cards. I dont pay a whole lot of attention to benchmarks, but they do give a general idea of what can do what.

Edited by Snacky

I upgraded my PC recently and chose the ATI Radeon 9800Pro. Have had zero problems since downloading the Catalyst 3.8 drivers (link in Audio/Video section on forum main page). Just my two cents.

Guest MrMudd

I was an Nvidia Fan for a long time too, but i'm also a fan of my wallet and getting the best entertainment value for my buck.

Once i used the 9800 Pro 128 that ATI Sent me. I quickly shelved my nvidia card. their is just no substitute. the nvidia doesnt even come close. I wish somebody from nvidia could prove me wrong, but the facts are the radeon 9800 Pro clearly distances itself from Nvidia's best product.

If the Nvidia card i payed for beat the ATI Radeon, i would still be useing it. But, Unfortunately being a fan of a product line sometimes is just not enough to base my loyalty. My loyalty is to being entertained by the best equipment. And for that..

I lost money on the Nvidia product i bought....

i 2 was a long time Nvidia purchaser, but i made the switch to ATi, i was going 2 get a GF4 4600Ti, but saw an offer on Ebay that i couldn't pass up :) so glad i bought a 9700Pro :)

Do I sense a sales add or what? I too was a long time Nvida fan, but I jumped the fence and found bright green pastures of WOW!

I've got the Radeon 9700 Pro AIW. I made the decision to buy it after reading countless review about Nvidia's Vacum Emulator Fan.

Radeon all the way. Some day Nvidia may bounce back....but....until then..They've won me over.

Expect ATI to get even better.

Cheers!

Fates

yes an add-on...it's a HP model with an open APG slot so I figured why not go ahead and add it on while"the war dept."is in the money spending mood.not a bad system..AMD 3000+,512 megs DDR PC2700 ram,a 120 gig 7200 rpm HD,350 watt case,DVD-R/RW-CD-R/RW,and a 48x CD drive.now I'll throw my old trusty audigy X-gamer in there and new system.Oh yeah..maybe a X-45(going to push the edge of the envolope with that one).

Guest MrMudd

doesnt sound too bad of a system Dagger.

I'm looking for a good deal on a amd xp3200 Chipset right now, and i should be set till spring.....Or any other better performing Motherboard-CPU combo.

The xp2400 is just not cutting it anymore... :(

Damn Mudd I have a XP2400, are you saying I will need to upgrade too? :(

The demo runs fine for me so I was hoping my XP2400 would do the job for now. This radeon 9700 Pro makes a big difference though, maybe that will be my saving grace.lol

I have two 2.7 AMD machines sitting side by side...

One has a GF FX 5600 256 in it the other has a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

Side by side in a multiplayer game (Nascar 2003, Quake 3, or Strike Fighters) the Radeon 9800 Pro looks better without a doubt.

But they both look really great, and the Radeon was if I remember right about $100+ (clock speed faster) more. But I think you would be happy with either, just a budget issue.

Cheers

Beer

Guest MrMudd

Like i said before, and i will say it again.

Nvidia needs to earn my dollar. And as of today they havn't. Shame on them!

My poor Xp2400 is awesome with games from lastyear... The New FS2004 and LOMAC take it to a whole new level. If i can only run medium settings on them. It scares me too know what is comeing out next year. :(

Hey Mr. Mudd,

If i recall you've got an NF7-S V2.0?

You ought to easily be able get your XP2400 upto at least 2.2GHZ on that if not 2.3GHz.

I can run the LOMAC demo on higher than medium settings on my 9700.