Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Hang over cures....Whats yours?

What is your hang over cure? Mine is a banana and 50% water 50% Gatoraide.

For me, a steam room or a hot shower. Drinking water and absorbing the moisture through your pores in your skin can take some of the edge off of the dehydration. But never swimming. That's never worked for me. All my nurse/ambo buddies have said that Gatorade is supposed to be good too.

The Doc on one of my aviation medicine refreshers said any isotonic sports drink like Lucazade or Gatorade are the only things that'll really help, rather than just having a placebo affect. Personally I find keeping a steady background level of alcohol in the system avoids the problem completely...

the old 1 for 1 works for me, 1 pint of beer to 1 of water! You have to pee a little more but i feel better in the morning!

Guest USNadpc

Alcohol robs your body of B vitamins as well. I drink a lot (it runs in my family) but I still manage to make it to work 6 days a week.

Here's my cure,

One multivitamin

One Super B Complex

Two Bayer aspirin (NEVER TYLENOL!!!)

Gatorade or water.

USNadpc

My brother always used to make this cocktail:

1 part water

1 part Vitamin D milk

1/2 part lemon juice

5 parts coffee

the old 1 for 1 works for me, 1 pint of beer to 1 of water! You have to pee a little more but i feel better in the morning!

What the man says...hangovers are usually the result of dehydration. When I'm out and about and thinkin about drinkin, the 1 to 1 ratio is a winner. Wake up the next day ready to go!

FastCargo

even when i drink a lot i don't get that hang over :)

One experienced alcoholic told me he drank a glass of water with two Alka-Seltzer tablets before he went to sleep to avoid the early morning hangovers. When we deployed to the Persian Gulf and into Kuwait in 1992 they gave us packets of electrolytes to mix in each bottle of water. These days when I get run down from the heat I'll put one tablet of Alka-Seltzer along with an electrolyte package per liter or quart of water/lemonade (50/50) and it perks me right up. The electrolyte packages are called Emergen-C I get from Walgreens. This works faster then Gatorade any day for me though I imagine results may vary.

I'm more "anticipating", usually, while I'm still clear enough, I like to drink water in between alcohols, in order to limit the said deshydratation. And on the morning... uh... at noon, shower and water, but no "magical potion".

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

a Coke Can

or Pepsi....

ok, it's the opposite, but is ever good drink a coke when you feel worse xD

rehydrate, and heres a little known secret,,oxygen. Yep, good ole oh two! Most of the headache is due to lack of oxygen to the brain.

Seriously all you people who remember to drink water with/after alcohol aren't doing the drinking alcohol part properly :drinks:

Well I'm from the old school - just grin and bear it !

No oxygen cylinders available in my house, plenty of water though.

Hair of the dog - does it work? I can never face another drink next morning if I'm hungover.

I always feel better after something to eat rather than a drink anyway.

A hangover is the Universe's way of evening things up. You get nothing for nothing. :rolleyes:

Stealing IV's from Combat Lifesaver Bags and administering them to myself or having my roommate stick me worked when I was in the military. (Don't do this while drunk or you/your buddy WILL miss the vein more than once and you will look like a junkie.) One bag was usually good, sometime two just in case. Of course you remember to dispose of the needle and catheter properly (in the dumpster outside the barracks) and remember to order more IV supplies before you go on a deployment.

Now I just don't drink, and it works very well.

They did a hangover sure on an episode of Food Detectives. Hydration was the winner. Hair of the Dog did not work.

NATURAL IMMUNITY... runs from my fathers side of the family. I'm a Scot and as such have been known to drink very heavily on the odd occasion though it has never given me more than dry skin the next day. My cousins on my mothers side however have been known to be laid up for a couple of days after matching me drink for drink.. all of us being more or less the same hieght and build.

AND I WILL DRINK ANY SCOTSMAN AND IRISHMEN UNDER THE TABLE ANY DAY OF THE WEEK as long as it is not Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday. :lol:

NATURAL IMMUNITY... runs from my fathers side of the family. I'm a Scot and as such have been known to drink very heavily on the odd occasion though it has never given me more than dry skin the next day. My cousins on my mothers side however have been known to be laid up for a couple of days after matching me drink for drink.. all of us being more or less the same hieght and build.

That'd be nice, my father has never had a hangover, I've even had guys who served with him come up and tell me they'd never seen another man stand after as much alcohol as he'd taken, never mind turn up to work the next day. My mother drinks rarely and then really feels it. Thanks to the wonders of genetics I have my old man's thirst for alcohol and my mum's tolerance for it!!! We even ended up at the same mess dinner early this year (50th Anniversary of 815 going rotary) I got a call at 0930 the next morning saying 'That was great I'm off home now', five hours later I could just about get out of bed!

No cures that particularly work, other than loads of coffee and exercise (if you can manage it).

Years ago, just prior to seeing Slade, I remember once drinking half a bottle of vodka (with orange) on the inane premise that I wouldn't have to buy drinks at the Student Union.................. and therefore waste time in drunken, sodden queues for beer at the various bars. Suffice to say, I was pretty much numb for a couple of days. Headache of the century. Won't try that again.

Tomato juice replenishes the nutrients, and of course H2O :)

Years ago, just prior to seeing Slade, I remember once drinking half a bottle of vodka (with orange) on the inane premise that I wouldn't have to buy drinks at the Student Union

Seems perfectly sensible to me. Apart from the seeing Slade bit obviously. Did I mention the Wurzles once played at my Student Union?