Sign in to follow this  
switch

Moving Mud Supersonicly With Mrmudd

Wicked cool video MrMUDD! :D

Some folks were wondering about your system specs over at the Ubi forum, if you didn't see that yet.

He won't answer that.

Actually I think he has before, he's not shy! ;)

Check this:

Mr.MUDDs System...

kinda older post, so I don't know if he's updated since then.

Are the vids gonna come out weekly or what?

Edited by Beta

Very nice video MrMudd!

Quick question: do you capture the video while playing the mission or do you replay it afterwards and use trackIR then?

If so, is that why there's a label on the friendly plane at the beginning and on the MIG off your left wing while egressing?

Great work, and love the storyline!

Ian

Very nice video MrMudd!

Quick question: do you capture the video while playing the mission or do you replay it afterwards and use trackIR then?

If so, is that why there's a label on the friendly plane at the beginning and on the MIG off your left wing while egressing?

Great work, and love the storyline!

Ian

FRAPS captures the action as it plays out, so what you see is how he played the mission. As far as I know, when you play a track back you can only change viewpoints/camera angles as in the demo - no trackIR there!

When you have labels ON, you'll see labels for friendly and enemy.

Guest MrMudd

In the Video, everything you see is me actually doing it. What i do is Create the mission and select the "record Track Feature. once i am done with my mission. I then turn fraps on and play the recorded track. The track file records everything headmovements Ai's weapons etc....

With the track files i could go in their and manipulate my head movements with the mouse. But it will serve no purpose. It is better for you guys to actually see the "true" event. Scripting a bunch of Bulls**t doesnt do anyone any good, and i wont do that.

I prefer to let you see my multitasking at hand and what it is i do and how i react to the events as they unfold. There is allot of reasons for this, Tactics, Procedures, airmanship etc. I really Love this Track IR V1 and V2. It is probably the best damn peice of gear you can get next to the Flight Controllers. I used to fly padlock, now i never use it, i am 100% Track Ir and more comfortable being able to immiediatly snap my attention to any even that arises, as well as being situationally aware of the enviroment around me.

Now back to my Fraps recordings....

I get around 40-50 FPS on my system on medium settings. When i record with fraps it will knock me down to around 20 FPS. the reason this happens is because Fraps is capturing at 30 FPS and the sim is trying to do 40-50 FPS. The week link in the whole process is the CPU. The cpu is forced to do double duty. Fraps will take 3 minutes of flight and turn that into 3 gigs of capture data. the hard drive and the CPU is getting ravaged and raped pretty damn hard.

I wish you guys could see that track file on my pc. its awesome! B)

Each beta build gets better and better.....

My system specs are as follows:

Beta 15 lomac

AMD Xp2400 @ 2 GHZ no OC

1 Gig pc2700 DDR

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128

Track IR 2

CH Pro USB-Fighterstick-Throttle-Pedals

I think I'm going to be asking Santa for a TrackIR this year! :lol:

MrMUDD - you need an Intel CPU with HyperThreading! I was flying a mission that was very taxing and I didn't even notice I had hit the RECORD key! But, I had it set to capture at 640 resolution. Dang big movies anyway like you say - ended up with close to 4gigs recorded in 10 minute sortie. :blink:

Keep those videos coming! :D

Guest MrMudd
MrMUDD - you need an Intel CPU with HyperThreading! I was flying a mission that was very taxing and I didn't even notice I had hit the RECORD key! But, I had it set to capture at 640 resolution. Dang big movies anyway like you say - ended up with close to 4gigs recorded in 10 minute sortie.

If Intel or any manufacturer is willing to send me better equipment, i will be more than happy to use it and let the actions of their equipment speaks for themselves.

I have sent off emails to Intel and AMD asking for assistance, in my media and flight sim editor efforts. but they wouldnt give me the time of day. i was too insignifigant for them. there is no way i can buy every product out their on the market, and i wont do it. Sorry, but i will only spend my money on the best performing gear i can afford with my budget.

On the other hand, Chproducts, ATI, Natural Point, Eagle Dynamics. Are more than happy to send me products, and Support my effort, For a couple reasons. I am very active, and my purpose is to invest in the community and present these products abilities to all of you.

I am not in this for personal gain. Only giving back to the flight sim community that has given me a fun entertainment opportunity for the past 8 years as a Gameing consumer. I dont provide a one bang for the buck review/preview. I conduct a fulltime presence with these products.

Their is no paycheck or income derived from this. It is all a volunteer effort on my part and a commitment to the consumers and vendors.

If you have something you feel is of higher quality and performance you are willing to send me. feel free to do so.....I am more than happy to entertain it.

I only want to provide the best media possible for my editorial and educational efforts.

mrmudd@biohazcentral.com

If you have something you feel is of higher quality and performance you are willing to send me. feel free to do so.....I am more than happy to entertain it.

Hell - if I had a job that payed something, I WOULD! You're doing an awesome job and I admire your commitment and dedication. <SALUTE!>

I just upgraded from an old AMD 1Ghz to a 2.4Ghz Intel with HyperThreading. New motherboard, 1 gig of new ram, and CPU cost me $451 bux. I used all the old bits I had to complete the system and it ROCKS - still need a new video card though! I run it at 3Ghz no sweat, I've had it up to 3.4Ghz but that's a bit too high for stock heatsink/fan. ;)

Guest MrMudd
Hey guys,

What is Track IR?

Thanks --

Hawkeye

www.naturalpoint.com

I am currently testing the 2nd Generation device that will be shipping very soon.

The track Ir is an Infra red Camera and tracking device. By placeing a reflective target on your headset, hat, forhead etc. the track Ir unit bathes your face in infra red light and follows the reflected energy and inputs like mouse.

In simulations like LOMAC and Flight sim 2004 it translates the head movements into virtual head panning views. If you notice the video of all the differnt head movements, that is actually my head moving around the cockpit at things of intrest.

the helmet mounted site in the Mig29 and Su-27/Su-33 are awesome with the track Ir. This device has clearly took combat flight sims to a higher level!

Looking pretty good! With the news of the readme getting finished this week (at least that's Carl's plan) we may actually recieve this sim in winter 2003 (not 2004)!

biohaz.jpg

Another question about Track IR:

When you want to look at the side, you turn your head to the side... but you have to leave your eyes on the screen, right!?! So I'm guessing that for a 45 deg. rotation in track IR you get a full 90+ deg. rotation on the screen??

Thanks and have a nice weekend!

Ian

Guest MrMudd

You can adjust its speed and movement relationship of your head.

I have mine set up to Look over my shoulder to the extremes by only Turning my head as far as the edge of the monitor Angle.

After 3 weeks of using TrackIr, I can`t imagine flying sims without it!

Mine is set with a large dead zone in the center to prevent view shifting caused

by tiny movements of my head (after overdosing on coffee). It`s especially

usefull when flying the instuments or staring at the radar. Yea, you can always

disable TIr by hitting F9 but I like too keep it active at all times.

MrMudd, I know you used TrackIr1 before they sent you TIr2. Do you see any

significant difference? My TIr1 is running very smooth and I was wondering

if there`s really any need to get TIr2.

Edited by switch

Guest MrMudd

i am actually working on my "Competitive Edge" Article as i post this. It will discuss the differences between the track ir 1 and 2... B)

re: Track IR --

Thank you,

There looks to be a couple different manufacturers of Track IR? Can anyone recommend a particular model/manu.? Mr. Mudd's video looks very seamless, considering the extra load on his system to generate the video capture. I am curious how this would look and "feel" on a Panoram multi-monitor system -- is anyone running anything at the higher resolutions like 2048 X 1536 with a Track IR device?

Thanks again Mr. Mudd!

-- Hawkeye

Guest MrMudd

www.naturalpoint.com is the only manufacturer of Track IR system i am aware of.

Could you please reference exactly who else is carrying this registered name?

as far as screen resolutions i fly in 1024x768. If i had equipment that provide a 360 degree panoramic bubble, i would be more than happy to toss this 17" monitor B)

I wear glasses - that's one reason I'm a little hesitant. At the extremes the frames of my glasses (near my nose) start to interfere.

I would want to try it before I buy it.

Guest MrMudd

good question i wonder if Tech reps or the Stores in your area have them on display to try and use.

Post where you live, maybe someone in your area will get ahold of you..

Im so glad track IR is coming out with new software in a little while, and LOMAC isnt due for atleast 2 months.

Now I can save cash, and buy track IR, Lomac, maybe a new vid card, and hopefully some more ram.

Then I can let the addiction begin in all its glory :D

OK -- looks like I was looking at different distributors, not manufacturers -- sorry for the confusion. Re: multi monitors, here are some interesting sites -- these are corporate, business designed products for multiple application and data integration, but appear to have the capability to work well with flight sims -- with some reference to this exact functionality. I'm wondering how many folks out there might be using any one of these, or anything similar? I am also wondering if the TrackIR product might work well, if at all, with these?

http://www.9xmedia.com/

http://www.panoramtech.com/

http://www.maxdisplays.com/

http://www.massmultiples.com/

http://www.donz.com/

My ultimate goal, and I'm sure a lot of folks are interested as well, is to create as much of a 360 degree world as possible and these products, short of multi-thousand dollar projector systems look almost doable. A huge investment that I'm not going to make right now, but perhaps over time, competition and better hardware, will allow for a near complete flight immersion experience?

lo-mac's built in 120 degree view helps considerably with this immersion goal in my opinion. My natural peripheral I'm sure is near 180 degrees, so with the Track IR system, a multiple monitor or wide angled screen and the increasingly better resolution offers of some of the later sims, life in the fast lane is getting much closer to my Budweiser equiped arm chair.

Thanks all,

Hawkeye