Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

New patch released for ALL ThirdWire sims.

For those who don't know, ALL ThirdWire sims are now at the same standard with the just released October 2008 patch.

That's all of them, including First Eagles (with and without the expansion pack), Strike Fighters Project One and Strike Fighters Gold, and ALL three Wings Over xxxx series.

So go get the patches!

And don't be the guy who patches their modded install directly...you WILL pooch it up! It is no one's fault but your own if you torpedo your install because you didn't stop and think about what would happen!

Don't be THAT guy!

FastCargo

No AI tweaks? I might just pass on this one, don't really see anything in the read-me worth patching. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Ok I take it back, I do see a couple of things worth patching.

* Campaign engine not generating player mission correctly when low in

supply is fixed.

* HARD Targeting Option is changed so objects are always identified.

Edited by GreyCap

First impressions are good...

Two definite imrovements:

1. The 'Windloop' sound bug's been fixed. So when the engine's disabled, you can hear the wind whistling through the wires...No more gliding to earth in total silence!

2. The rotary engine blip switch now works as it should.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think ailerons, rudders and elevators are far less prone to fly off when hit by a bullet or two...

All definite plus points, eh?

Bucky

I'm definitely getting better frame rates in and out of the cockpit when viewing objects like airfields down low and other planes in the air. Don't know if the fresh install has anything to do with it but the numbers don't lie. :wink:

The AI is a lot better too.

wow wasnt expecting more so soon

seeya then - another month to redo my installs lol

Hey, the IFF function in the TWS mode is fixed :good:

Ummm...wrong forum Jet. :wink:

Like the rest of the series we have no trees. :blink:

Anyway, the auto pilot routine is better. The player plane on AP climbs more realistically and actually throttles back so the rest of the flight catches up. :good: The friendly AI is definitely better. If you don't hurry and "get yours" there won't be much left to shoot at. :biggrin: I also spotted an enemy plane sitting in a field all shot up with no pilot in it. :clapping:

Yeah, they always tweak a few extra things that are not in the read-me, don't they.  :clapping:

I have found my game doesn't exit to windows now and works correctly---YEA!!!!!!!! :clapping:

Oh man... I keep getting CTD's when engaging those three DFWs in instant action now. :mellow:

I literally have zero mods. Just FE+ expansion+patch. I'll play around with some settings...

Heads up. TK has re-released the patch that restores the trees to the terrain. :good: You'll have to do another reinstall...at least I did..to get the new patch to load.

The bad thing is I discovered why I was getting better framerates before.....no trees.

Anyway, thanks TK for getting on top of the problem and fixing it. Can't beat that for support. :clapping:

FE+ expansion+patch, no mods, also getting CTDs in instant action.Seems to be associated with aircraftobject.dll. :sad:

FE+ expansion+patch, no mods, also getting CTDs in instant action.Seems to be associated with aircraftobject.dll. :sad:

Instant action ok with my install I have the same install as you sky high.

Has anyone tried the earlier Peter01 FMS with this patch?

I am away from my desktop and cannot for a while.

I have and they seem fine.

One question i have is does the game lock up for anyone else if you warp with structural damage like a wing missing or something shot off on some planes? If all the parts are there and i'm damaged i have no problems.

It seems to happen to me most often with the Nieuport17, when i hit the warp key it goes to flyby view and the plane gets most of the way across the screen and the game freezes, no CTD, just frozen and i have to CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close the program.

The easy cure is to just fly the plane back to base manually, but sometimes i don't have alot of time and try to get in as many missions as possible.

EDIT: Is this not happening to anyone else? If not i might have to re-install the Nieuport because it happens alot with that plane.

Edited by WarlordATF

One question i have is does the game lock up for anyone else if you warp with structural damage like a wing missing or something shot off on some planes? If all the parts are there and i'm damaged i have no problems.

This happened to me in previous versions of the game. I figure the flight engine just can't handle the variables with damage.

Just don't Alt-N anymore with structural damage. IMHO perhaps a more realistic player approach would be to find the nearest airdrome for an emergency landing (pretty historically real option), or find the largest piece of clear field and try a crash landing. With your AC damaged and the engine-off switch, it is really fun to see if you can make it down without hitting the hedges :good:

I have and they seem fine.

It seems to happen to me most often with the Nieuport17, when i hit the warp key it goes to flyby view and the plane gets most of the way across the screen and the game freezes, no CTD, just frozen and i have to CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close the program.

The easy cure is to just fly the plane back to base manually, but sometimes i don't have alot of time and try to get in as many missions as possible.

EDIT: Is this not happening to anyone else? If not i might have to re-install the Nieuport because it happens alot with that plane.

No Nieuport17 in the default game only as a add-on.

That is one thing wrong with this sim out of the box it has so few planes.

The new patch has impoved the game so much thanks TK I have a full modded version and the default version plus EX PK and patch.

Right - but the good news is that TK gave us a open design, and as a result we have so many great add ons with solid, well researched FMs.

It's great to hear the Peter01FMs are working with the patch. I can't wait to get back home and get them up and running. This was a hurdle for the First Battle of Britain mod. If the Peter01 FMs are good, a major barrier has fallen!

Sky High,

What did you do with aircraftobject.dll to stop the Oct08 patch from dropping the game to CTD in Instant Action? I have installed Oct08 on top of WWI + EP1 + Apr08. I am just watching the game unfold before me in AutoPilot, just switching views, for about a minute when CTD occurs.

OlPaint01

Sky High,

What did you do with aircraftobject.dll to stop the Oct08 patch from dropping the game to CTD in Instant Action? I have installed Oct08 on top of WWI + EP1 + Apr08. I am just watching the game unfold before me in AutoPilot, just switching views, for about a minute when CTD occurs.

OlPaint01

OlPaint01,

I assumed the aircraftobject.dll was the culprit, because that's what the little Windows message says that pops up after CTD, but I wouldn't have an earthly clue how to fix it.Fortunately I haven't yet had the problem in mission mode, but a solution would depend on someone smarter than me.

For those who don't know, ALL ThirdWire sims are now at the same standard with the just released October 2008 patch.

That's all of them, including First Eagles (with and without the expansion pack), Strike Fighters Project One and Strike Fighters Gold, and ALL three Wings Over xxxx series.

So go get the patches!

And don't be the guy who patches their modded install directly...you WILL pooch it up! It is no one's fault but your own if you torpedo your install because you didn't stop and think about what would happen!

Don't be THAT guy!

FastCargo

I don't like patches, it always screws up something :sorry: