Sign in to follow this  
ChrisBV

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Sea Harrier FRS.1

PS: does anybody know if a twin Sidewinder launcher is available and how to add it? Thanks!

I'm sure there was a mod in the downloads to give the Sea Harrier the post-war twin 'winder loadout, but for the life of me I can't find it.

I'll have a look in my backup disks and report back.

Edit: I found the download on disk. It's called [1322]SeaHarrier_4xSidewinders_SALETOV__MOD but I still can't find it in the downloads. Has it been removed?

Edited by allenjb42

I'm having a hard time placing a decal and I can't figure out why! Some markings for the right side of the front fuselage. I have pinpointed the problem to the decal itself: when I turn it off, the problem's gone... but when turned on, the whole front mesh of my jet goes transparent!

01jp2.jpg

02bl3.jpg

The only setting I changed in the Decals.ini file was the decal name ("res" for left side, "resRight" for right side):

[Decal013]

MeshName=Nose

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=Left

FilenameFormat=HarrierFRS1/800/d/res

Position=3.05,-0.1

Scale=0.9

DecalMaxLOD=4

Reverse=

[Decal014]

MeshName=Nose

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=Right

FilenameFormat=HarrierFRS1/800/d/resRight

Position=3.05,-0.1

Scale=0.9

DecalMaxLOD=4

HELP!!!!

You can only put 4 decals on a mesh...anymore the mesh is transparent....try making 2 decals as one if close together...if they are decals that are a common item...paint them on the texture...

Edited by russouk2004

You mean "decals" as "files" or "decals" as individual objects themselves? For that particular mesh I have 2 .TGA files listed in the Decals.ini, but they are made from several individual elements:

aaaamp0.jpg

The red part doesn't show in-game (it's the transparency mask) and the individual items I have highlighted them with ovals (they do show up). But I have only 2 .TGA files. You say I can't have like "separate" graphics, even within each .TGA file?

LOL, never mind. Silly of me, there was an aditional entry for a decal for the "NOSE" mesh I missed. I turned it off. Now everything works properly so I can finish this skin once and for all :good:

Almost ready! Just a few minor tweaks and this jet will be ready to take the skies :)

I darkened the overall base paint, tuned the lighting values (looks much, much better and realistic, I think) and reworked the fuel tanks a little bit:

shar01ls6.th.jpgthpix.gif

shar02ep2.th.jpgthpix.gif

shar03rt5.th.jpgthpix.gif

shar04be0.th.jpgthpix.gif

shar05jl7.th.jpgthpix.gif

Well, at last, it's finished! :biggrin:

Here are a few more shots so you can see what to expect from the final product (added more detail, weathering effects, riveting, etc. and now it's done!):

sharfin00go0.th.jpgthpix.gif

sharfin01hr9.th.jpgthpix.gif

sharfin03dk9.th.jpgthpix.gif

A checkered tail for 801 NAS will also be available:

sharfin04gx5.th.jpgthpix.gif

sharfin06ss1.th.jpgthpix.gif

Thanks everyone for your support on this very first project of mine for the Third Wire series; you can see how the skin evolved, thanks to your feedback and input, to a final product I'm very happy with :good: I hope you enjoy this skin as much as I did making it. I'll upload it tomorrow morning.

I'm still trying to add the twin Sidewinder launcher without much success. What files do I have to edit, anyway?

Hi ChrisBV!

Thank you very much for the good work you've done on the SHARs skins. The weathering effect looks great!

By coincidence I'm working on some SHARs skins as well as my first skinning project for the SF series.

Some early dark sea grey/white Sea Harriers:

post-4035-1226323740_thumb.jpg

Falklands Sea Harriers:

post-4035-1226323979_thumb.jpg

...and some post Falklands Sea Harriers:

post-4035-1226324052_thumb.jpg

I used Sundowner´s skins provided with the latest Falklands mod and in the indian Sea Harrier as a base.

These skins are stiil WIP, still have to ask Sundowner and complete a lot of things.

BTW, ChrisBV, did you use a template?

Both of you have done beautiful work! I'm a big-time Shar fan, and these skins are just the ticket. I really like the 700A skin!

SB

Thank you very much for the good work you've done on the SHARs skins. The weathering effect looks great!

You're most welcome, mate :good: And sugarblues for his kind comments, too.

By coincidence I'm working on some SHARs skins as well as my first skinning project for the SF series.

Yeah, I just checked them out, they are bloody awesome! Specially the pre-Falklands one.

:ok:

BTW, ChrisBV, did you use a template?

Hmmm, sort of. I used Sundowner's skin as a basic layer, then tweaked the colour base and added more details myself, such as rivets, panels and other effects, all of them hand painted (except for the checkered tail which I got from a FA.2 photo and other minor parts).

By the way, the skins are ready for download, grab them here:

DOWNLOAD

I tried using the LAU-105 for adding 2 Sidewinders just for testing but the Soviet APU-62 is smaller and suits the model best (IMHO). Anyway, I can't make neither of them attach properly to the pylon:

twinwinder1hj8.jpg

I'm looking for a result similar to this:

sharfrs1aim9ldoublelaunud1.jpg

Any ideas? :dntknw:

hello

looking the pictures i found 2 problems

1 the "twin" support that you are using is too large and make the tail of the missile hit the landing gear

2 the support is horizontal, and the real one give some degrees of twisted down...(if i use any "non-existed word", just ask me)

i dont know anything on 3D, but the mirage 3 is using a "twisted" support, take a look on it. its possibly make a copy like viewed on a mirror and "glued" to the original? that should make a twin launcher and twisted down.

looking the pictures i found 2 problems

Yeah, so did I :yes:

:biggrin:

1 the "twin" support that you are using is too large and make the tail of the missile hit the landing gear

That's because it is the LAU-105 twin launcher used on the A-10 which is... well, too large:

Mvc-408l.jpg

It's the default launcher interface that shows up when I place "2IR" (2 IR AAMs) in the weapon station's AllowedWeaponClass entry. I also tried using the Soviet APU-62 (twin R60 launcher for the MiG25) but no matter which adapter I choose, I can't make it attach properly to the corresponding hardpoint.

2 the support is horizontal, and the real one give some degrees of twisted down...(if i use any "non-existed word", just ask me)

i dont know anything on 3D, but the mirage 3 is using a "twisted" support, take a look on it. its possibly make a copy like viewed on a mirror and "glued" to the original? that should make a twin launcher and twisted down.

Well, it should be attached to the rail itself (meaning, the attachment points on the rail built for that purpose, not "embedded" in the 3D mesh as shown on the screenshot) but it's not, I don't know what to change to make the adapter attach properly to the outboard station rail. My best guess is that I have to play with the adapter itself, because changing the values for the weapon station affects the way other weapons are displayed (it makes single Sidewinders, bombs, rocket pods or whatever appear out of position as well).

Does the Mirage have those values for that particular hardpoint (tilt, twist or whatever) set as "Weapon Stations" entries within the aircraft's DATA.INI?

i dont think so. in real life the missile is not just under the hardpoint, so the 3D model is already twisted.

i will have to search some photo to explain better the idea.

here its a photo where you can see that "twisted thing" to put the missile under the wing

http://mirageargentina.com.ar/index.php?op...6&Itemid=30

i hope this help. mi idea is pick up that 3D model, make a copy of it (but like viewed into a mirror if possible) and join the 2 pieces into one, having a dual launcher "twisted"...

remember i dont know anything about 3D model or what tools are to work.

Edited by pato poli

i dont think so. in real life the missile is not just under the hardpoint, so the 3D model is already twisted.

I think I know what you mean, more or less like this, correct?

AIM-120 AMRAAM on F-16 wingtip (CLICK HERE)

In the F-16, for instance, the LAU-127 attached to the wingtip station is slightly tilted downwards. You mean that is set already in the launcher's 3D model?

Edited by ChrisBV