Did the TSR.2 actually get as far as being assigned a name? TSR stands for Tactical Strike Reconnaissance IIRC, so a TSR.2 F.3 (or TSR2. GR.5 or TSR.2 GR.7 for that matter) is probably a bit too much.

Aegean thunder....

post-841-12702904276621.jpg

• Like 3

Did the TSR.2 actually get as far as being assigned a name? TSR stands for Tactical Strike Reconnaissance IIRC, so a TSR.2 F.3 (or TSR2. GR.5 or TSR.2 GR.7 for that matter) is probably a bit too much.

It didn't get a name but it would definitely have been given a name if it had entered service. On British forums the name 'Eagle' is the most often touted name for it but that cannot be officially verified.

Allenjb42, I totally aggree with you, I only posted it that way as the community hasn't given it a name yet.

On my own installation I've given it the name "Thunder" and before I get shot down in flames here are my reasons.

The RAF has a history for naming its fighters and tatical fighters after strong weather conditions, normally winds but but as the Lightning showed this is not a hard and fast rule.

As we are all aware the TSR2 would have followed on from the Lightning as does Thunder!

And finally the TSR2 was designed to deliver devices which make bloody loud bangs, thats a bit like thunder too!

Ok, now I'm prepared for flak lol.gif

Allenjb42, I totally aggree with you, I only posted it that way as the community hasn't given it a name yet.

On my own installation I've given it the name "Thunder" and before I get shot down in flames here are my reasons.

The RAF has a history for naming its fighters and tatical fighters after strong weather conditions, normally winds but but as the Lightning showed this is not a hard and fast rule.

As we are all aware the TSR2 would have followed on from the Lightning as does Thunder!

And finally the TSR2 was designed to deliver devices which make bloody loud bangs, thats a bit like thunder too!

I applaud your reasoning with... a thunder-clap.

I'll get me coat.

Thunder works for me, I can imagine had those things entered service they would have made quite a noise with those Olympus engines ripping the air, and flying nap of the earth with the TFR you would hear them but not see them.

Aegean thunder....

post-841-12702904276621.jpg

Great job ! :good:

Hmmmm for the TSR.2 I like the name Claymore after the famous battle swor carried by william wallace. At least thats what the TM calls it in my stories

Thunder sounds like a good name to me for the TSR as well.

May God help us now, corporal; President Kimba will be most upset when he hears of this!

post-29988-12703151690267.jpg

Piecemeal

The title of that screenshot should be "FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :lol:

May God help us now, corporal; President Kimba will be most upset when he hears of this!

post-29988-12703151690267.jpg

You know a country means business when they have an AK on theire flag....

It also means they are to poor to afford M-16s

BAFF-100D04.jpg

North American F-100D - 27 smaldeen, Belgian Air Force.

Edited by Spinners

Ok, now I'm prepared for flak lol.gif

:lol: i know im gonna get shouted at but i have to point out a slight disparigy with the above comment.... :lol:

Its not always winds or weather... infact a few spring to mind:

Spitfire ( if its like that outside i aint goin out :lol: )

Mosquito ( hmmmm Malaria... lovely :lol: )

Tomahawk ( ok not strictly a RAF name but still.... its gonna leave wounds :lol: )

ok ok there are probably more but you get what i mean.... i am now braced for revenge or abuse :lol:

:lol: i know im gonna get shouted at but i have to point out a slight disparigy with the above comment.... :lol:

Its not always winds or weather... infact a few spring to mind:

Spitfire ( if its like that outside i aint goin out :lol: )

Mosquito ( hmmmm Malaria... lovely :lol: )

Tomahawk ( ok not strictly a RAF name but still.... its gonna leave wounds :lol: )

ok ok there are probably more but you get what i mean.... i am now braced for revenge or abuse :lol:

Fair Point, but I never said that they exclusively used weather type names, just that they had some history in using them.

I just thought that Thunder fitted nicely after Lightning and seemed to fit the bill.

RAF aircraft naming conventions are deliciously eccentric and rule-less! Look at all those crappy hedgerow birds ones from the 30's like Avro Titwarbler or some such nonsenserofl.gif .

Anyhoo, I'm tempted to run with either 'Thunder' or 'Thunderstrike'.

Thunderstrike S.1 - Anti-flash white

Thunderstrike F.2 - Long Range ADV in Anti-flash white (no chance that such a beast was ever going to be built but it was mentioned once in an RAF Yearbook so that's good enough for me).

Thunderstrike GR.3 - For RAF Germany in green/gray camo

It also means they are to poor to afford M-16s

There's just something about that Flag that says 'go ahead .......... BITE ME!!!! - I double dare ya!!'

RAFTSR204.jpg

BAC Thunderstrike S.1's of No.100 Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1969

Spinners

Thunderstrike for the win!

Also hey could you do an RAF Bomber command skin pack for it? Using the different camos through the years but with the units of bomber command?

Also hey could you do an RAF Bomber command skin pack for it? Using the different camos through the years but with the units of bomber command?

Well RAF Bomber Command (and RAF Fighter Command) sadly came to an end on April 30th, 1968 earlier than the most optimistic 'in-service' date of the TSR.2 but I'd be keen to do some Thunderstrike 'what ifs' in the near future.