Sign in to follow this  
splode

Do You Really "thump" Civilian Populations?

Is that part of shock and awe?

On the way out (or to the target) do the armed forces "intimidate" the country we're bombing? As a way of psychological warfare?

(Not bashing the military - I think its a great idea - a great use of US taxpayer's money.)

Guest MrMudd

It is very factual to attack the enemy at their centers of gravity. Sometimes this means intimidating and destroying their will to fight.

Trust me, concern over upsetting a populace is the very last thing on my mind.

the mission, my fellow warriors, and my survival comes first. ;)

This scenario is based on a EasternBlock Coup and uprising to overthrow the current regime. Which is highly likely giving the dynamics of economics, power and political beliefs in that part of the world.

This scenario is based on the will of individuals to overthrow the will of the populace.

I wouldn't think it prudent normally, though.

Aren't cities ordinarily guarded by air defense sites? Or at least a higher likelihood of finding them there than out in open expanse of land?

Guest MrMudd

You would think so during a time of WAR buildup and battle lines drawn.

However this is the very beginning of this war that is unfolding. remember. everyone was at peice 12 hours beforethe assasination and this first su33 strike...

No enemy has been identified, no battle lines have been drawn. "Nato" deployed forces without protection in the opening hours, sneaking into that theater.

in order for any supporting or combat forces to deploy.....

Air supremecy must be maintained before the logistical support chain can move into the area.

the Su33 attack was a direct decapitation against the "NATO" forces from provideing Air supremecy in the opening hours of this conflict.

Keep in mind also that most countries with vast expanses of territory (like, for instance, Iraq - a locale with I am very familiar with) their military centers of gravity and their population centers are closely intermixed, thus intimidation - shocking and aweing - of the populace is an unfortunate byproduct of scaring the bejesus out of and killing the enemy - "prosecuting targets" on the TNL and pop-ups. We of course try to keep the civilian population out of it, but this is sometimes impossible. Most times the only things worth striking are in fact downtown.

In other words, there's not very much out in the boonies worth a pilot, airframe, fuel and ordnance worth striking. This is one of the reasond we not to Baghdad so damn fast. We bypassed (hauled ass) a lot of little stuff for the "meaty" centers of gravity. In the case of Iraq this time around it required as much political-strategic goals as well as tactical. We had to knock out the Saddam Structure. It wasn't simply a matter of bombing them into the stone age. That would have been a completely diffrent war, one I'd be less proud to have taken part in.

It is for this reason - winning the hearts and minds, or at least not alienating them with indiscriminate bombing - that PGM's are playing an ever-increasing role in how those targets get serviced.