Sign in to follow this  
Jug

Inspiration

Got some badly needed inspiration and focus tonite.....wound up Top Gun on a 65" Plasma in HD DVD with surround sound fluttering the curtains and foo-fooing my hair. Gotta say the Navy boys put on a great show and that film is ripe for a revisit anytime.

So what is the latest thing that has wound you up about jumping in our Sim, moving around some dirt in a violent manner, and trashing a MiG or two lately????

Not sure I can comment in a thread with a guy who "foo-foos" his hair. :blink:

Ah, waitaminute, I get it.

It's a Navy show, you got all carried away with the emotions. :biggrin:

Carry on...

After seeing Top Gun, Tom Cruise, or anything made by the city of Hollywood, one wishes to fly Soviet strategic bombers. :good:

Well, the most inspiring movie/tv footage is that jepisode of I Dream Of Jeannie showing Major Nelson taxiing out in F-106, flies around with F-104, and taxis back in F-5, or some such order. That was a heap flying. Very inspiring.

Well. . .

I have to admit my wife & I were stumped for a film to watch recently, and, almost as a joke, I said, Why don't we watch Top Gun? (We had the DVD sitting on the shelf, it had cost about £1.99)

The missus was up for it, out of nostalgia, so, we did, and it was like, brilliant. I have to say what impressed me most was the flying sequences, obviously, but mainly for the fact that there was no CGI in sight - it was all real :cool:

Although, strangely, watching it for the first time in about 20 years, and with a consequential change in perspective on life, I found Iceman to be a hugely sympathetic character, and Maverick to be a total pain in the arse :rolleyes:

I must be getting old. . .

And, yes, I went off and built a Top Gun intercept mission, flying 2 F-14s (using the Iceman and Maverick skins from C5) off the Big E to tangle with a crowd of MiG-28s, as soon as I'd finished watching the film.

Just because, with Thirdwire - you can :cool:

If anyone wants the .msn file, I'll post it here :wink:

Edited by Baltika

mmm, NO that was F-106, F-104, T-38. No matter, all cool planes and stuff.

downloading new (or old) planes get mr motivated. Been fiddling with the B-36, then enhanced explosions, now I am hung on the B-58 again. I love jettisoning that big tank, then dropping the shape and seeing that big ole mushroom cloud. Sick, I know.....

633 Sqn was on the box at the weekend. And as is the way with such things you just have to watch it...again. :wink:

The superb musical score and those lovely Mosquito's tear-arsing around meant I just had to turn on the PC and run my WWII install.

Funny how such things work, had it been "dogfights" on the History channel I'd have loaded up a mission with whatever aircraft was on that.

Having just watched Nasa's greatest missions on TV also I felt the urge to fire up my very neglected edition of Orbiter.

But then sanity prevailed and it was off to the pub for my tea.

gascan you need to czech out B-58 stargetic cockpit, works amazing.

Orbiter was nice at first, but the HUD was just too intrusive. That alone made it Delete~able, as it could not be changed.

I'm with Syrinx...I was this >< close to dropping Battle of Britan in the machine today...just wish on this latest US version, they hadn't changed the closing/end titles music. My soundtrack CD has both the released, and unused scores.

As for 633, gotta love Ron Goodwin's score...

now, if I could only find the last 4 books in the series......

Wrench

kevin stein

I just have to fire up Flight of the Intruder or We Were Soldiers and within a few hours I'll be in WoV flying CAS in a Skyraider or Ironhand in an Intruder.

watched speed and angels for first time last night..that rekindles the love / hate for the tomcat...but..i know its bad to admit this..but what makes me jump up and kick arse in the sim is........wait for it...lol...is iron eagle,and iron eagle 2...ok stop laughin

reading 'The Hunters' by James Salter recently has got me over Korea in the f86e on a regular basis

more good reading : 'God Is My Co-Pilot' by Robert L. Scott and 'Twelve O 'Clock High' by Beirne Lay Jr. and Sy Bartlett

now where are those damn migs ? :-)

I saw "Top Gun" a whole bunch of times back in the day.

I haven't flown a Tomcat yet though.

I have however, read countless numbers of books and viewed all kinds of things about the all inspiring, totally awesome F-105 Thunderchief.

I'd advise anyone to read "When Thunder Rolled" by Ed Rasmius. He was actually a self admitted coward who only planned to fly a single mission and then give up his wings. He managed to do a whole lot more! :biggrin::biggrin::good:

I'd advise anyone to read "When Thunder Rolled" by Ed Rasmius. He was actually a self admitted coward who only planned to fly a single mission and then give up his wings. He managed to do a whole lot more! :biggrin::biggrin::good:

I just read that recently. Awesome book...

Without a doubt the best military aviation book I've ever read. That book really made me appreciate the Thud and the men who flew it. I've since recommended it to a number of friends and aviation fans who've all praised it highly.

Okay we're moving this topic.

Watching the first episode of Macross Zero, the third episode of Yukikaze, or simply the movie "Stealth" (Jessica Biel pwnz Kelly McGillis) :haha: makes me want to go airborne. Yes, it's rather Macross Zero rather than Top Gun which makes me want to climb into the F-14... I think "Top Gun" has gotten it's successor with "Stealth", and I must agree, Val Kilmer is more likeable than Tom Cruise, but if we're going for old-school cheese, I even prefer "The Final Countdown" over "Top Gun". Maybe I just watched "Top Gun" too much as a kid that I just can't stand it anymore... :rofl:

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

Without a doubt the best military aviation book I've ever read. That book really made me appreciate the Thud and the men who flew it. I've since recommended it to a number of friends and aviation fans who've all praised it highly.

His other book, "Palace Cobra" is also great. Gives you an idea of what it was flying in a Wild Weasel HK flight in a F4E.

I've got Final Countdown and Top Gun on DVD because they've got those awesome flying scenes.

Stealth didn't do that. I didn't care about the characters, the story was just too implausible (what's with AI in movies being human-smart anyway?), which is saying something compared to FC's time travel, and the liberties taken with flight mechanics (supersonic dive at Mach 3 taking them like an hour?) just killed it.

In fact, I'd say the most recent film to have really good combat flight scenes was Flyboys. Nothing screamed DUH at you and they really pulled off those stunts well.

Tomcat Cruies, iron eagle -- how far we have come.

I'll admit, there *is* one Made In Ussia Hollywood movie that inspires me ALOT and that is Jimmy Stewart's Strategic Air Command, with never repeated style footage of B-36 and the air warfare environment (never modelled in The Sims)....and a little bit of B-47. I've read this movie ramped up SAC rectruitment in its day, and the movie makers did it with bombers instead of first person Dogfight shooter planes. Clap.gif

That movie inspires me to ... lol... make more cirrus clouds and even longer contrails for TK's sim hehe!!