Sign in to follow this  
phantom005

IAF

Hi, why is it that indian air force never gets/ buys usa fighter jets? Would china attack india then? Then whats the use of all these 700 migs? - k

Our political history precluded such a possibility but I believe we are working closely on changing that.

Also to a certain extent the past dictates the future-we have an affinity for Russian equipment and unless we expand our western wing currently consisting of Mirages and Jaguars, or the U.S offers us something seriously radical, I dont really see my air-force procuring any aircraft from the U.S.

If we went to war with China, we would lose;simply because they have a stronger economy.But we could hurt them;the dragon knows that so I dont see a replay of '62 happening.

Edited by Stick

THe Indian request for American help dates back to 1962. When China attacked India in 1962, the then Indian PM Jawaharlal Nehru requested for American help, he asked President Kennedy for a suadron of USAF F-104s to be based in India's eastern front to intercept Chinese bombers and protect Indian cities. It was this fear of Chinese retaliatory bombing that forced Nehru & the Govt to ground IAF fighters. While this request was turned the USAF did send some C-130s for supply missions.

After the end of 1962 war, the IAF felt an immediate need of supersonics fighters. Till 1962, the Indian AF consisted of only British & French origin aircraft, except for C-119, which ofd AMerican origin. The F-104, Mirage III , MiG-21F, BAC Lightning were shortlisted for license production. The American flatly refused to sell the F-104 so as not to offend their "ally" Pakistan. As a last ditch attempt, the Indian govt c requested fo F-101 Voodoos instead, but that too was refused. The French & British too were reluctant. The Soviet Union was glad to sell the MiG-21F-13. When the Americans got word of this, they offered to sell a squadron of F-5As and a some C-119s. But by then, it was too late. Soon after, a squadron of MiG-21F-13s & MiG-21PFs was in India and later the MiG-21FL, M, bis , MiG-27M were selected for license production in India. Thus began India's love affair with MiGs.

I agree with Stick. If a repeat 1962 happens again ,the IAF will not be quiet and eventhough it might end up losing against the numerically superior PLAAF, there will be hell to pay.

As for why India was reluctant to buy American fighters, the answer is simple...... the fear of sanctions and the unwelcome sight of seeing fighters becoming hangar queens.

Edited by ghostrider883