Sign in to follow this  
Echarlie

New Law...Salute like a Man

Veterans and active-duty military not in uniform can now render the military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem and during flag raising and during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1609

I've always wanted to. Now the law says I can.

Sgt. EagleCharlie

U.S.A.F.

87-91

Most excellent rule. Always disliked placing my hand over my heart. Didn't feel nature being in the military and not saluting.

Oh, an Army guy made the bill. That explains a lot.

It just doesn't feel right saluting uncovered, especially out of uniform. Not to mention, it just looks weird. I don't find hand over heart or position of attention any less respectful than a salute. To each his own, I guess.

It just doesn't feel right saluting uncovered, especially out of uniform. Not to mention, it just looks weird. I don't find hand over heart or position of attention any less respectful than a salute. To each his own, I guess.

Never seen anyone out of uniform just stand at the position of attention. They always had their hand over their heart. I thought that just standing at the position is reserved for respecting other countries anthems.

Oh, an Army guy made the bill. That explains a lot.

What does that have to do with anything? My wife is 17 years Army and still going strong. Going to make SGM too.

What does that have to do with anything? My wife is 17 years Army and still going strong. Going to make SGM too.

Nothing against the Army, but they do think it's "normal" to salute inside of buildings and without a cover on. So, to someone with that background this also seems "normal."

Congrats to your wife on the upcoming advancement.

Nothing against the Army, but they do think it's "normal" to salute inside of buildings and without a cover on. So, to someone with that background this also seems "normal."

Congrats to your wife on the upcoming advancement.

Er make that MSG then hopefully SGM. Got my letters mixed up. :lol:

In the USAF if you report to your CO's office you have to salute them at their desk and report. No cover on of course because you are inside a building.

It might look wierd cuz your not used to seeing it. Now that it is officially authorized, it allows us

who have served/are serving, to stand out in the crowd.

I usually wear a hat outdoors but I had to report to my CO's office on a number of occasions,

thus having to render the courtesy while inside and uncovered :biggrin:

I like it, although taking a bit of getting used to.

In the Navy we never saluted without a cover on or out of uniform. But this law goes across all services and for out of uniform. I much prefer it. Got the opportunity the other evening leaving work when colors was sounded. Felt good.

Don't know about the USN but in the RN by tradition we don't salute indoors, believed to be a hangover from wooden ships etc. where there just wasn't the room to do it without hurting yourself, that and only a cad would wear a hat indoors! Similarly we don't stand to toast the Queen at a mess dinner as years ago the King was dined in onboard one of his warships and smacked his head standing for the toast, he then excused the Navy from having to stand, a tradition we continue to use to confuse the junior services, that and growing beards.

Edited by SkippyBing

What's this salute called?....

Mike

One might call that the "Freedom of Expression" salute.

A right that I served to protect.

Ok lets not go there fellas. Keep it on topic.

Don't know about the USN but in the RN by tradition we don't salute indoors, believed to be a hangover from wooden ships etc. where there just wasn't the room to do it without hurting yourself, that and only a cad would wear a hat indoors! Similarly we don't stand to toast the Queen at a mess dinner as years ago the King was dined in onboard one of his warships and smacked his head standing for the toast, he then excused the Navy from having to stand, a tradition we continue to use to confuse the junior services, that and growing beards.

Well, most USN traditions/customs/courtesies are from the RN originally.

Likewise, our Air Force sprung from our Army, so they have the same (weird) habits.

Two thoughts...

I generally have a cap on anyways outside so being un-covered isnt much of an issue for me, though I've known for years that the USAF and Army can salute inside uncovered. Marines and Navy dont. No big deal.

And to be perfectly honest, I didnt realize you couldnt salute the flag as it passed in a parade or I raised it at work; Ive been doing it for years, never did get a ticket... :tongue: The anthem or pledge was when I placed my hand over my heart. So now we got a law says we can do what we shoulda been doin anyway, showing respect to our colors, in one form or another...whooptie-do. Just what we need, another law. You know what Echarlie? You go ahead and salute anyway bro, you earned it by God, law or no.

Semper fi...

Actually though I cant speak for the Army, We in the Air Force only salute inside when reporting to an officer in

thier office.

On the second point, there was never a rule to NOT salute the flag, it is that now we can salute Military style even

when not in uniform.

I guess I just regard it as a veterans benefit that it is officially proper to do so now.

<S>

Well, most USN traditions/customs/courtesies are from the RN originally.

Likewise, our Air Force sprung from our Army, so they have the same (weird) habits.

Dude will you please get over yourself and your branch of service? Once in a blue moon ribbing is fine, but every time you get a chance you take a swipe at mine and others. WTF is your problem? Since this war started in 2001 and I buried friends in each branch of service, so I have great respect for each branch and their traditions and don't really get into my branch vs your branch. One team, one fight. So calling the others "weird" is very uncalled for.

I read it as Veterans will salute all National Colors being raised, lowered or passining in review, as well as the National Anthem. Veterans of all branches of the services. That, whether inside, outside, covered or uncovered to give respect by rendering a military salute. Still confused? Then read the order. We gave military honours to all branches of the service while serving as part of an Inspector, Instructor Active Duty Staff for a reserve unit. We didn't refuse anyone who requested our services. We were grateful to be able to show our respect. Now we can all show who we are by rendering the proper salute to honour our Colors. Thanks for that.

I said weird. Never said wrong, did I?

Chill pills for all. I'll take the first one.

I said weird. Never said wrong, did I?

It was implied. As I told one of your fellow Sailors last night on ICQ. I find nothing the other branches do as "weird". Each has their own thing and that is what makes them unique. Army does it one way, Navy another, Marines another, AF another. But weird? No, its the nature of the beast.

I just get irritated because there seems to be a trend with "My branch is better than your branch." And I don't play that.

One team, one fight. We all bleed red and we all defend the same flag.

Nuff said. We took this off topic, sorry folks.

I think the law is GREAT!!

You get to show your a veteran or active duty not in uniform.

It will get you the respect you deserve.

I'm with you DAVE,one team,one fight, no matter what your branch's policies are.

As for me,I'll salute any allies flag or anthem. It's called RESPECT for my Brothers in Arms who are or have been in harm's way. :good:

It was implied. As I told one of your fellow Sailors last night on ICQ. I find nothing the other branches do as "weird". Each has their own thing and that is what makes them unique. Army does it one way, Navy another, Marines another, AF another. But weird? No, its the nature of the beast.

I just get irritated because there seems to be a trend with "My branch is better than your branch." And I don't play that.

One team, one fight. We all bleed red and we all defend the same flag.

Nuff said. We took this off topic, sorry folks.

A hand salute to my nation's flag and for my nation's anthem, in my opinion, should be reserved for those who wear the uniform. I am perfectly happy to render my flag and my national anthem, a civilian hand over the heart salute. Reason is, I am now a civilian. I do not put my hand over my heart for other nation's anthems or flags for obvious reasons. Feel quite strongly about what wearing the uniform was all about and the outward signs of special patriotism and elite membership that the military salute represents. I have passed the torch and, thereby, passed my right to those who wear the uniform. Just my personal thoughts.

Couldn't agree more with Dave. Interservice rivalrys are for football games. The more and more our specialized forces operate in a joint manner, the more it becomes necessary to trust the team next to you to cover your six. I'm AF, but I got the back of my USN, USA, and USMC bretheren. Having said that, it is important to remember that it is much more fun and socially acceptable (within limits) to dog-cuss your buddies than to treat outsiders in the same manner. Your buddies know you're kidding, outsiders don't. There are times when we could all lighten up a little.

Veterans and active-duty military not in uniform can now render the military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem and during flag raising and during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1609

I've always wanted to. Now the law says I can.

Sgt. EagleCharlie

U.S.A.F.

87-91

I never worried about it. When I retired, after 31 years and 4 conflict, I still saluted. And dared anyone to question me. What would they say? "What are you going to do, bend my dogtags and send me to (1) Vietnam, (2) Beirut Lebanon (3) Desert Storm (4) East Timor, (5) Iraq, (6) Afghanistan???? :yes:

I never worried about it. When I retired, after 31 years and 4 conflict, I still saluted. And dared anyone to question me. What would they say? "What are you going to do, bend my dogtags and send me to (1) Vietnam, (2) Beirut Lebanon (3) Desert Storm (4) East Timor, (5) Iraq, (6) Afghanistan???? :yes:

No s**t right? :lol:

Man you have been to all the garden spots.

ironmike775

I would say you have definatly earned the right, law or no law.

<s>