Sign in to follow this  
VFC_Baxter

Why First Eagles?

So, why is First Eagles the best WWI sim? (I am curious to know what people think of this sim in comparison to OFF or some of the other WWI offerings). :rolleyes:

1. It is well supported by the developer.

2. Easy to mod.

3. Graphics options that allow it to run on a wide variety of PCs.

4. Good community.

Is it the BEST WWI sim? That's a subjective question......

Other than FE there really aren't a lot of other offerings. I thought OFF was ok but I kind of lost interest in it after awhile. I'm not exactly sure why. Rise of Flight may have potential but I don't see it being as moddable as FE. I may be wrong. I still fly Red Baron 3D on occasion but FE "fixes" some things I don't like about RB3D and finding a full copy of RB3D might be a challenge.

Not sure about being the best - but its a great blast for me - and after a bit of practise you can have some classic dogfights.

1. It is well supported by the developer.

2. Easy to mod.

3. Graphics options that allow it to run on a wide variety of PCs.

4. Good community.

Is it the BEST WWI sim? That's a subjective question......

Other than FE there really aren't a lot of other offerings. I thought OFF was ok but I kind of lost interest in it after awhile. I'm not exactly sure why. Rise of Flight may have potential but I don't see it being as moddable as FE. I may be wrong. I still fly Red Baron 3D on occasion but FE "fixes" some things I don't like about RB3D and finding a full copy of RB3D might be a challenge.

No challenge my friend RB3D CAN BE GOT FOR FREE (AND LEGAL) AND SOME NICE ADD-ONS AND IT WORKS OK ON XP SP3 SEE HERE http://www.rb3d.net/osl/GumpsBONUS.html

LOOK UNDER ARE YOU NEW TO RB3D.

Edited by don246

So, why is First Eagles the best WWI sim?

Sheer white-knuckled fun!!! Try it with Peter01's flight models, the AI will make a strong man weep...

Why is it the best?

Because i love it!

1- Most diverse stable of flyable aircraft.

2- Most challenging and accurate FMs (see Peter01 FMs).

3- Open design - easy to mod.

4- Great pool of skins for the many flyable aircraft (Thanks for the new contributions Quack 74!).

We still need more diversity of terrain, missions and campaigns though. . .

Don246,

Thanks for that link - I thought I'd managed to trawl most of the self-encompassing RB3D websites, but that is a treasure trove.

I play FE, but I'm still to be convinced by it. I play RB3D still, because I was convinced by it.

Either way, have fun.

PS - SDOE-WWI is probably worth a look. I've had some reasonable fun with that as well.

Don246,

Thanks for that link - I thought I'd managed to trawl most of the self-encompassing RB3D websites, but that is a treasure trove.

I play FE, but I'm still to be convinced by it. I play RB3D still, because I was convinced by it.

Either way, have fun.

PS - SDOE-WWI is probably worth a look. I've had some reasonable fun with that as well.

Second that SDOE WW1 is ok for a bit of fun for all of you that want to give it a try here -

http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/30874 it's one big download so get your self a download manager try FREE DOWNLOAD MANAGER (Google it)

I downloaded it and took me about 12 hours. Burnt to DVD and installs a dream on XP SP3 On the download you have the WW11 and WW1 you can install what you wish.

Name of the game is to have fun.

Hey all! New to the forums and also considering to buy first eagles.

For years I was under the impression that WW1 flight sims were dead, but hey, here you guys are. I have played a lot of RB3d and later on I tried full canvas jacket (never got it to work properly though). My question for you is, does first eagles have such an immersive dynamic campaign as RB3d did (especially with beery's super patch, man that was a cool game). I'm really looking for that feel, where you get the idea of being part of a bigger thing. You know, where you start out as a low feldwebel as the last guy in a flight of three and try to work yourself up to flight leader and eventually to squadron captain. Where you get transfered to active fronts and may encouter different aces and such. Further I would like to know how the damage model and the AI are in this game. It should be very hard to bring down a kite. but with RB3d I got the impression that it was all a bit to easy (bringing down about 3 kites per mission). Well, I hope you guys can help me out, because it's been far to long since I've played a proper combat flight sim. I've even started building my own trackIR (using freetrack :biggrin: ) in anticipation.

Cheers

Edited by Tjuk

No challenge my friend RB3D CAN BE GOT FOR FREE (AND LEGAL) AND SOME NICE ADD-ONS AND IT WORKS OK ON XP SP3 SEE HERE http://www.rb3d.net/osl/GumpsBONUS.html

LOOK UNDER ARE YOU NEW TO RB3D.

Hey, I did and I like it.

Graphics wise it's dated but I can definately see the appeal it had and still has. UI is very good and atmospheric.

In fact it has spurred me on to fly and appreciate FE more as I didn't bother with the Nov Patch. Now I have I'm really enjoying the action.

I guess in a way it's like the people who still fly EAW (I've never even seen a copy never mind ever played it) they swear by it and if it weren't for these classics I suppose we wouldn't have the games we have today.

Hey, I did and I like it.

Graphics wise it's dated but I can definately see the appeal it had and still has. UI is very good and atmospheric.

In fact it has spurred me on to fly and appreciate FE more as I didn't bother with the Nov Patch. Now I have I'm really enjoying the action.

I guess in a way it's like the people who still fly EAW (I've never even seen a copy never mind ever played it) they swear by it and if it weren't for these classics I suppose we wouldn't have the games we have today.

I just got FE for Christmas. Installed it and have been playing it exclusively since. I like the flight back then. Actually seeing your opponent up close and taking aim to place your shots into the engine and bring it down. The only thing I've changed was the sound effects. They were a bit soft and I added ones that had a deeper sound.

It's another great part in the Century of Flight. Eventually the Thirdwire series will allow us to relive nearly every key air battle over the last 100 years.

Now EAW?!? Wow. I truly spent hours on that. Even when it didnt have as many mods. To me, that is what killed my interest. It got so busy with mods and a lack of coordination, I couldnt keep up and lost interest.

-S

I just got FE for Christmas. Installed it and have been playing it exclusively since. I like the flight back then. Actually seeing your opponent up close and taking aim to place your shots into the engine and bring it down. The only thing I've changed was the sound effects. They were a bit soft and I added ones that had a deeper sound.

It's another great part in the Century of Flight. Eventually the Thirdwire series will allow us to relive nearly every key air battle over the last 100 years.

Now EAW?!? Wow. I truly spent hours on that. Even when it didnt have as many mods. To me, that is what killed my interest. It got so busy with mods and a lack of coordination, I couldnt keep up and lost interest.

-S

Yeah dudes. EAW for the win :good:

Why first eagles? Always up to date, the best AI i have seen so far, Totally moddable, New planes and objects able to be ADDED and not just skinned over other objects, high feedback interactivity with developper, and because it's made by TK, this last argument being sufficient by itself.

I think also thirdwire games may be the game with the most enormous community strength and modders community, and there are much people fan of TK since EAW. Where else did you see a developper answering directly to customer questions anyway?

These things make thirdwire games look somekind of "never outclassed".

Edited by Nikk

So, why is First Eagles the best WWI sim?

cause its fun as hell!