Sign in to follow this  

Hey everyone, I'm new to the Third Wire Sims, (but not flight sims in general!) and I have been playing WOV with the latest service pack, and have recently began playing with the difficulty set on hard. Now, for the life of me I cannot target the primary target in any strike mission. I cycle through all the ground targets, but I can never target what I'm supposed to hit, which makes directing my wingman to attack (and the use of guided weapons like Walleyes) impossible on hard level. I have been scouring this board, the knowledge base, the manual, and the internet in an attempt to find an answer, but have had no luck so far! I understand that the "Hard" difficulty setting makes for a more realistic experience which I enjoy a lot, but not being able to "target" my target is frustrating. I'm sure there's something I'm probably missing (besides my target!! :rofl: Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by grafix7

For predesignated missions for single missions (not sure about Campaign) but hit "E" and it will "designate" it for you or your wingnut. Upon reaching the target area, it will be "active" until you destroy it. Note that Waypoint 5 is always your target waypoint, or where Waypoint 5 is, that is where your target is exactly at all times.

Thanks for the quick responses! I tried changing targeting to normal, which didn't allow me to "target" the primary, so I changed the HUD to normal, which did allow me to target the primary target (using "E" by default just like EricJ said) But of course now I'm stuck with those lovely red boxes and waypoint indicators. Oh well, at least I can "target" the target now, and actually get my wingman to attack it.

Edited by grafix7

with hard hud use E to designate - and padlock is handy too - sometimes you have to view the target before you get there and zoom out - eg if its the 2nd fuel tank from the left you should be hitting.

A trackir 4 and Padlock is a must for hard hud imo

you can changed the size of the boxes etc in the huddata.ini - see the knowledgebase for more info

Edited by MigBuster

you can changed the size of the boxes etc in the huddata.ini - see the knowledgebase for more info

Migbuster is correct...it's how I do it.

I have the target boxes but they are set so small they show as tiny red dots so that they're visible but don't detract from a more realistic view.

Same goes for waypoint indicators etc.

From my Huddata.ini....

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

ConeSize=1

BoxSize=1

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=redcone

[Display002]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY

ConeSize=1

BoxSize=1

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=bluecone

[Display003]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=NEXT_WAYPOINT

ConeSize=1

BoxSize=1

BoxType=TRIANGLE

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=whitecone

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.0

Height=0.0

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

[Display005]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=RADAR_TARGET

ConeSize=1

BoxSize=6

BoxType=DIAMOND

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=

Excellent! This should help a bunch. Big thanks to everyone!