Sign in to follow this  
Ice

Mr. Mudd, Can You Advise, Please

Mr. Mudd, I have not yet been able to wrap my brain around how to include keystrokes for all the important TIR functions (On/Off, Recenter) within my MiG 29 CH PRO profile without excluding certain vital LOMAC key assignments. For example, any radio command that requires F8 or F9 is invalidated by TIR's assumption of these keys and radio commands cannot be reassigned.

I seem to recall you use both TIR and CH PRO HOTAS so I'd be really grateful if you could advise. What profile do you use? I'm using an adapted Flanker 2.5 MiG 29 profile and it works beautifully apart from the TIR conflicts described above. I have assigned TIR On/Off and Re-center to my stick but I'm having trouble accessing certain view and radio command functions that have been assumed by TIR whenever the program is active (i.e. even when it is disabled). I do not know how to reassign key functions in TIR and even though I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out, I'm still baffled as to how to cram every neccessary LOMAC/TIR function into my HOTAS profile.

By the way, have you downloaded the 3.01 software for TIR? I have experienced some alarming bugs in this formerly faultless app when using 3.01. Here's a link if you are interested.

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic;f=3;t=000287

I'd really appreciate a response, Mr. Mudd; you may be the only person on the planet who has figured this out at the moment.

Guest MrMudd
Mr. Mudd, I have not yet been able to wrap my brain around how to include keystrokes for all the important TIR functions (On/Off, Recenter) within my MiG 29 CH PRO profile without excluding certain vital LOMAC key assignments.  For example, any radio command that requires F8 or F9 is invalidated by TIR's assumption of these keys and radio commands cannot be reassigned.

I seem to recall you use both TIR and CH PRO HOTAS so I'd be really grateful if you could advise.  What profile do you use?  I'm using an adapted Flanker 2.5 MiG 29 profile and it works beautifully apart from the TIR conflicts described above.  I have assigned TIR On/Off and Re-center to my stick but I'm having trouble accessing certain view and radio command functions that have been assumed by TIR whenever the program is active (i.e. even when it is disabled).  I do not know how to reassign key functions in TIR and even though I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out, I'm still baffled as to how to cram every neccessary LOMAC/TIR function into my HOTAS profile.

By the way, have you downloaded the 3.01 software for TIR?  I have experienced some alarming bugs in this formerly faultless app when using 3.01.  Here's a link if you are interested.

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic;f=3;t=000287

I'd really appreciate a response, Mr. Mudd; you may be the only person on the planet who has figured this out at the moment.

I know about the issue of the Track IR hotkey button conflict with LOMAC Buttons assignments.

I am not a beta tester For Lomac and im not apart of their design team. My voice is not any more significant than yours. It would be a good idea too mention that in the official UBIsoft Forums.

With the Track IR 2 and the Beta software i am running, Which i believe is the same as the 3.01 that was released. ( i havnt tested it with a Track ir 1)

To reassign your Track IR Hotkeys. Click on the Hotkey tab in the track ir software, and click on the redefine "icon" option to set your keymapping to an available button, and then save that in your Track Ir profile you assign to the game in question.

Ch Products is designing a whole new Control manager 3 software that will have the "listed game commands and key assignments." this software will also have a quicksetup. It is due out some time later this year.

I do not use HOTAS programming software. Why? Simply because i am active in so many differnt sims. after a period of time i have come to find my prefered key assinments. And i use the game softwares key mapping. With Direct x it makes it simple for my purposes to have a profile that is simular to all games. I do not use a 64 button hotas map. I fly in 1 mode and only assign the relevent functions i Need to Fly, Fight and operate the main Aircraft controls. the rest i use the keyboard for.

Now i could assign my stick setup to be like the real A10 or the real F15 for example. But i see no purpose to it as in the real world. I have too in the real world because frankly, i'm flying the same bird for the given length of that ops assignment 3 years etc. But in the sim life, I am active with 4-8 sims daily that would cause more confusion trying to relearn what i programmed. So i stick to my favorite setup and program the game around it.

For the Track Ir 2. I only use the hotkeys allready assigned. I have no need to make adjustments in flight. For example the centering "F12" key. i come to find that i was "Right eye" dominent and was habitually turning my head to the left and centering my right eye. At first i thought i was having track ir problems, when in fact. It was my right eye dominance forceing me to focus on something.

I had to unlearn the method. In real life. I dont have a hotkey to freeze my head to focus on the Hud reference data. unchecking a 4 g turn and then pushing a negative g over to put a target piper on a point on the ground is no difernt. My head is all over the place. But you learn to adapt to it. So i dont see any reason too need the hotkey assigned to my hotas for a game. I prefer to have my head on a swivel and adjust to what i am doing to the given situation.

Much like learning padlock. Track ir is going to require patience, practice and experiance. Im pretty satisfied with my performance now.

FYI i only use the Enhanced mode with a 10 Y and 10 X setting with full smoothing. Works very well for my usage of the track IR.

The relationship issues between Track Ir and Lomac is purely up to Eagle Dynamics and Natural Point. I was a track IR 2 tester, and just getting involved with their beta testing as of 2 weeks ago. the down side of this. Is that I am not a Beta tester for Eagle Dynamics. So i dont know what they have adressed, Fixed or implemented in the beta builds.

Carl had mentioned he wanted me involved with the testing process a few months back, Maybe becasue he made the mistake of giving me his personal email address, and i was filling him full of virtual fire woood....Trust me i do try to voice my concerns. However UBISoft views me as a "Journalist" for contributing to this site. And there fore they find it as a conflict of interest. And with it being so late in the development for lomac. theres no reason to add another nagging dude to the mix. Their focus is getting this project completed so you guys can enjoy it.

Again all i can say is, Make your voice heard in the UBI SOFT and Natural Point Forums.

Many thanks for the helpful reply, Mr. Mudd. Now I understand why you do not want to have to learn different HOTAS profiles for a broad range of aircraft in a broad range of sims! It would certainly overtax my brain. I tend to play only one sim at a time, often for a lengthy period if the sim is absorbing enough, and it's all about the sim, not the flashy technology; TORNADO spent two years on my HD (Janes's F/A-18 came in second at one year) and I've still seen nothing in more modern sims that can match TORNADO's terrain-following radar-altimeter autopilot and its modelling of, what do you call it, lobbing iron bombs from a distance with a calculated pull-up...

...Anway, I know guys at CH, and CH testers for that matter, who have put LOMAC aside until its key assignment issues have been sorted out. This matter rarely appears on the official board, although I have posted about it several times. It's not critical, I guess, unless you need the kind of precision demanded by simultaneous use of a HOTAS, LOMAC and TIR. Certain key functions do not work as advertised and trim is hopeless (which, as a RL pilot of a more modest nature than your bad self, affects my immersion level; I cannot imagine flying with any precision without trim). I have never yet encountered a sim which models elevator trim satisfactorily.

The key to solving my problem, I suspect, will be to leave all the LOMAC key assignments at default and to reassign all TIR keys with the WIN key modifier, which is not used in LOMAC and should therefore generate no conflicts when everything is tied into one HOTAS profile (for the F-15). Do you happen to know if TIR allows the use of the WIN modifier?

I'm sure UBI will calm down when the game is out, allowing you to function officially with Carl and Matt as a consultant and Beta tester for patches and add-ons. You are a huge asset to the community and the developers are right to want you inside the stockade facing out.

When will you post your next video?

Guest MrMudd

I dont know what a win modifier key command is. Cant help you there.

As far as the key mapping in lomac. you are correct in understanding that the key map is continually evolving. Being your running a 100 meg demo at beta 5 foundation. Its not going to be indicative of the final retail relase product. Their is no way anyone can prepare for it, includeing people Such as CHPRODUCTS until UBISOFT decides on their final key mapping release. And shares it with them to meet the logistical commitment.

Lomac Videos:

UBI has the 4 videos. It is up to them to release. Today (11-06-03) they have released the Video number 2. They have been sticking to the thursday video releases. I dont work for UBI or apart of their team. What i submitted was something to fill the void, while the LOMAC developers were hard at work finishing the title up. Just my gift in giving back to Carl and Matt for the past work in sims and doing their best to represent the Flyable aircraft to the best of their development and budget schedule. So far these are two stand up guys and now includeing Oleg maddox for helping to keep our prefered genere active. Without them. We wouldnt have Flight sims in 2002-2003-2004.

I wont be creating anymore videos in the near future with Lomac. I have many other things that need attention. Afterall their is no paycheck for me at the end of the day and this is a volunteer effort, while i have the time to do so.

You guys should have the game in your hands hopefully by the time video 4 is released. I'm assuming of course it will be released by some time december.

Got one too many commitments to some vendors for reviews and products to look at. Maybe in a few months i'll get back to LOMAC....but i doubt it. I think ive done more than enough for that title. As far as Beta Testing patches Etc. They have their core team that helped develope and test the simulation. Its their responsebility to fix or ammend the product. My voice is no stronger than the consumer. You guys are plenty capable on notifying the developers on issues.

I have a some other intrests i want to address. Helo Simulations primarily and looking for publishers that are interested in building a high quality helo sim is what i will be primarily focused on here in the near future. Their are some other future sims in discussion/development phases im interested in being apart of.

I am only 1 voice here at biohazcentral. For the interim of my stay. I cant entertain everything, but i'll try to chip away at what i can, while i can.

My Focus in the very near future is going to be in the Core competancy investment of sim pilots and the Subject Matter Expertise required to help raise these simulations to a higher level.

This will also mean my "journalistic" activities will slow down. Hopefully for the better of our genre by being apart of the products we entertain ourselves with better.

Thanks again for the input, Mr. Mudd.

I will be following your involvement in the aviation sim business (particularly in helicopters) with great interest.

Hey, are you going to be at the 50th Anniversary Thunderbirds air show at Nellis, November 15th/16th, by any chance? Just a shot in the dark. A close buddy of ours, an F-16 pilot in the NY ANG, just made full Colonel and we are going as his guests. For me, it's going to be like having all-access backstage passes to the Rolling Stones. We'll get to drink beer in the O-Club on the Friday night before the show, a venerable fighter pilot tradition, right?