Sign in to follow this  
Dutchy

1918-2003 85 Years After Ww1

Are here also people stand still that that war has to supose to end all wars?

They call it the Great War.

Next week I go for three days to Ieper to remember this history. First tanks, first warplanes, trenches, gas and massacre. It is not a fun trip, it is pure history and remembrance.

Salute

Dutchy

Dutchy, I've been to Ieper/Ypres two times and it was definetely a place for reflection and thougt - visiting cemetaries and seeing headstones inscribed with "Six soldiers of the great war"!

I trust you went to the Menin Gate at 8p.m. to see the daily ceremony and hear the Last Post.

If you haven't read it already, I would like to recommend the book "They Called It Passchendaele" by Lyn Macdonald! It is based upon first hand accounts of WW1 soldiers and deals with the 3rd battle of Ypres - known as Passchendaele.

BTW, the title of this book is taken from a line from Siegfied Sasoon's poem "Memorial Tablet" - I died in hell- (They called it Passchendaele)

Sweeps

--------------------

Forgot the important details for the book!

Penguin Books; ISBN: 0140165096

Edited by SleepySweeper

I had a lot of relatives in that war...that one was really bad. Everybody had all this new stuff and wanted to use it. No holds barred all out sick warefare, ya possibly one of the most brutal wars ever.

I'm back. In three days to many things what I saw. I walked in a underground trench about 25 meters. Visti many cemetaries and musea.

At the Menengate was one of the last Veterans of the WW1 (there are still live now 26/27 of the Commonwealth). I shaked his hand. He is 105 years old.

Another book I just reading now from Lyn Macdonald is about the Somme.

Maybe I'm gonna order the Dutch written version of They Call it Paschendale. It was not for sale now in Ypres (Ieper).

The people I talked with were really surprised that we came for the memorials. You know The Netherlands were nutral in that war.

Salute and thanks for the book recommands.

Dutchy