Sign in to follow this  
DirtyBirdFA

Left w/ nothing intelligent to say...

Evening, gents :salute:

It's definitely been a while, but I wanted to share a quick story with you all before I return to the books. I was walking out of the library today when I ran into a student I always bump into and rather than experiencing that awkward silence as two strangers walk in the same direction, we randomly struck a conversation and started talking about classes in general. Well it turns out that this fellow I see practically everyday is a former F-15C fighter pilot for the 104th Fighter Wing based in Massachusetts. Now I love to talk and I'm usually never at a loss for words but when he said he was a fighter pilot flying F-15C's, I didn't know what to say. I guess I was star struck? I had never met a fighter pilot in real life and I guess when I see them on the big screens or portrayed elsewhere, they have this bigger-than-human persona to them. Like I wanted to say something smart and intelligent about aviation or about the eagle, but the only things I managed to say was "awesome" and "cool" and "i love jets." *slaps forehead* I don't even have that problem talking to females!! LOL. I couldn't think of anything to ask him, about what other types of planes he flew, if he flew in any combat missions, ect., NOTHING! All I could do was nod my head like a bobble head.

But yeah, I know I ended up sounding like a guy with a vocabulary of just two words. Growing up I had two dreams, to be a fighter pilot or a doctor....he's doing both!!!

Ok, enough procrastination. The books are calling me.

Warmest Regards,

DirtybirdFA

He was the smart one...got out of aviation and went into the medical field!

FC

I met a former Romanian MiG-29 pilot on a jobsite one time.

I had no trouble grilling him for as much information as he could give me.

There was a bit of a language barrier, but he had picked up English very fast in the year he had been working here as a maintenance supervisor in an injection molding plant.

It bothered me greatly to see someone who once flew fighter jets working so hard for so little money.

I hope he succeeded in transitioning to commercial flying in the U.S.

I have forgotten his name, but always wonder what happened to him.

Only fighter pilot I ever met was this old architect of a construction job I was on that was in the luftwaffe in ww2. I never really got to talk to him, he was a mean old bass turd.