Tu-22KD

Tu-22KD

Version 1.1

December 2008

!!!This addon is only for full patched and up to date game (last Patch 2008) Early patches don`t show the cockpit the way it should!!

The Tu-22 was originally intended as a supersonic replacement for the Tupolev Tu-16 bomber. The design, designated Samolët 105 by Tupolev,

was drawn in 1954, but the first flight of the prototype did not take place until 21 June 1958. The availability of more powerful engines,

and the TsAGI discovery of the Area rule for minimizing transonic drag, led to the construction of a revised prototype, the 105A. This first

flew on 7 September 1959.

The first serial-production Tu-22B bomber, built at Kazan Factory No. 22, flew on 22 September 1960, and the type was presented in the

Tushino Aviation Day parade on 9 July 1961. It initially received the NATO reporting name 'Bullshot,' which was deemed inappropriate,

then 'Beauty,' which was felt to be too complimentary, and finally 'Blinder.' Soviet crews called it "Shilo" (awl) because of its shape.

Tu-22 Blinder landing

The Tu-22 entered service in 1962 and 1963, but it experienced considerable problems, leading to widespread inserviceability and a number

of crashes. Amongst its many faults was a tendency for skin heating at supersonic speed, distorting the control rods and causing poor

handling. The landing speed was 100 km/h (62 mph) higher than previous bombers and the Tu-22 had a tendency to pitch up and strike its

tail on landing, though this problem was eventually resolved with the addition of electronic stabilization aids. Even after some of its

teething problems had been resolved, the 'Blinder' was never easy to fly, and it was maintenance-intensive.

Pilots for the first Tu-22 squadrons were selected from the ranks of "First Class" Tu-16 pilots, which made transition into the new aircraft

difficult, as the Tu-16 had a co-pilot, and many of the "elite" Tu-16 pilots selected had become accustomed to allowing their co-pilots to

handle all the flight operations of the Tu-16 except for take-off and landings. As a consequence, Tu-16 pilots transitioning to the

single-pilot Tu-22 suddenly found themselves having to perform all the piloting tasks, and in a much more complicated cockpit. Many, if not

most of these pilots were unable to complete their training for this reason. Eventually pilots began to be selected from the ranks of the

Su-17 "Fitter" crews, and these pilots made the transition with less difficulty.

By the time the Tu-22B (Blinder-A) entered service it was already clear that its operational usefulness was limited. Despite its speed,

it was inferior to the Tu-16 in combat radius, weapon load, and serviceability. Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev felt that ballistic

missiles were the way of the future, and bombers like the Tu-22 were in danger of cancellation. As a result, only 15 (some sources say 20)

Tu-22Bs were built.

A combat-capable reconnaissance version, the Tu-22R ('Blinder-C'), was developed alongside the bomber, entering service in 1962. The Tu-22R

had an aerial refueling probe that was subsequently fitted to most Tu-22s, expanding their radius of operation. 127 Tu-22Rs were built, 62

of which went to the AVMF for maritime reconnaissance use. Some of these aircraft were stripped of their camera and sensor packs and sold

for export as Tu-22Bs, although in other respects they apparently remained more comparable to the Tu-22R than to the early-production

Tu-22Bs. A trainer version of the 'Blinder,' the Tu-22U ('Blinder-D') was fielded at the same time, with a raised cockpit for an instructor

pilot. The Tu-22U had no tail guns, and was not combat-capable. 46 were produced.

To try to salvage some offensive combat role for the Tu-22 in the face of official hostility, the Tu-22 was developed as a missile carrier,

the Tu-22K ('Blinder-B'), with the ability to carry a single Raduga Kh-22 (AS-4 'Kitchen') stand-off missile in a modified weapons bay. The

Tu-22K was deployed both by DA (Strategic Aviation) and AVMF (Naval Aviation).

The last Tu-22 subtype was the Tu-22P ('Blinder-E') electronic warfare version, initially used for ELINT electronic intelligence gathering.

Some were converted to serve as stand-off ECM jammers to support Tu-22K missile carriers. One squadron was usually allocated to each Tu-22

regiment.

The Tu-22 was upgraded in service with more powerful engines, in-flight refueling (for those aircraft that didn't have it initially), and

better electronics. The -D suffix (for Dalni, long-range) denotes aircraft fitted for aerial refueling.

Tu-22s were exported to Iraq and Libya in the 1970s. An Egyptian request was turned down after the cooling of Soviet-Egyptian relations

in the wake of the Yom Kippur War.

Updated one ini file, so the probe cast some shadow ;-)

Just a dumb question. I downloaded this, decided to fly something heavier... and no cockpit worky. Is this supposed to be an AI aircraft because it's listed in the Player flyable dropdown menu, so...

Nope it`s flyable, have you read the readme?! there is a cockpit folder with a LOD and the ini changes in the su-15 pit ini, take a look. Hope no one else has this prob.

Do you have it in your aircraft list or not?!

Yeaaa ! :clapping: Thanks so much Blackbird. Cant wait to try her out once i get back home from work.

Yup, it flies with a pit.

By the way, where can I find the EagleEffects?

I have the same problem as EricJ;

no cockpit, no outside view.

I play WOI, have the other Tu-22s and

already moved the LODs around to try

solve the problem (or it must be a helluva

stealth package!).

That`s WOE/WOV plane you need all LOD from WOE and all related files for the Tu-22 so it`s easier to use this in WOE.

files you need:

Tu-22.LOD

Tu-22_LOD_.LOD

Tu-22_LOD002.LOD

Tu-22_LOD003.LOD

Tu-22_LOD004.LOD

TU-22_BODY_HOLES.TGA

TU-22_LEFTWING_HOLES.TGA

TU-22_NOSE_HOLES.TGA

TU-22_RIGHTWING_HOLES.TGA

TU-22_TAIL_HOLES.TGA

Extract those files form the object cat and you will be fine I`ve done this with the Vautour from WOI and it works in WOE, good luck!

Hi Blackbird !!! Thanks for this superb bird !!!

Just a question : I would like to use its cockpits with other Tu-22, but it does not work well : I have the cockpit on the screen, but nothing around... I mean, I am in the cockpit, I see the instrument panel, etc..., but it is like if there was no plane around... any solution ??? I am using it in WoE.

What I did :

-copy your su15tm_cockpit.ini,

-copy your cockpit folder

to the other Tu-22.

Apparently, I missed something...

Yup u missed one small entry:

open cockpit.ini and sear for this entry

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=su-15tm_cockpit

OpenCockpit=TRUE <------------this is a new line, it should be there to see the pit

Offset=-0.08,-0.20,-0.2 <---------------------important

Position=-0.10,14.4,0.9 <------------------- " use simply those entries!

//Position=0.0,14.437,0.658

ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

MaxYaw=100

MinYaw=-100

MaxPitch=90

MinPitchFront=-95

MinPitchRear=-95

LightRange=1.5

Thanks for the clear replies, it works!

Kudo's!

Question for you Balckbird, the plane works fine, however I dont see the moded nose of the KD, am I doing something wrong here ? Input appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Atreides

I've tried to modifiy againi cocpit .ini like you show on last post in this thread,it works ok on internal side views on ok on front views only looking down,when look stright or above it disappear!

Do you use Lexx stargetic pits here?

Cause normally like the B-36,they work well!

It is not stargetic, you have to use the cockpit "as is" and in the aircraft data file

set fuselage node "ShowFromCockpit" from TRUE to FALSE. It worked in my

case and I use the pit for all my Blinders.

Cheers mate

Nothing to do,set show from pit false,change flightengine (mine was modded) turn back to the original,but nothing happened,pit.lod won't appear!

but one question...this mod works only with oct.patch?cause my game is unpatched for some reasons

Onöy tested with oct patch, the LOD is only the panel the rest is from the plane exterior!!!! That`s the different, patch up your games, make first a backup and retry this mod, I`m sure it works fine!

I don't want to patch my game anymore!I'm surviving using your superb external model and go back on previous pit!

Atreides you have to copy the tu22 probe in your aircraft folder and try it again ;-) remember it`s a pilot!!

Done. Works and looks just great. Thanks again.

Xray, yea stargetic cockpit won't work with this bird until Patch 2008. I am staying with old version also.

76, you need to edit your download text and make sure its readable instead of pasting it without checking the looks. Its all busted up hehe. That happens alot on forums where stuff is blindly pasted without checking the looks. Also, include source of info if you got it.