Sign in to follow this  
Seawolf

Jessica Lynch Interview On Abc

Anyone else watching the Jessica Lynch interview tonight?? Some interesting stuff and I applaud her for being honest about what really happened. The original story and what she remembers seems to be really different though.lol

Edited by Seawolf

Well after watching most of it, its clear that ABC wants to press the issue that the military souped up the story. Lynch even said she didnt know why they video taped the rescue, but I dont think she understands (nor would I expect a supply clerk to understand) that most if not all SF missions are video taped these days.

Yeah, I was in the IDF and a lot of even the normal missions were taped. We even had a guy that was there just to tape the missions. Each mission he'd follow a different squad in the company.

The guy who took out the mortor crew with jammed M-16 was from Kansas...yay Kansas!

You know that's the thing that really disturbed about this thing. Why did all of the M-16's jam? I've been in desert combat and my M4 never jammed on me even when I spent all 250 combat rounds without cleaning. Makes you wonder if the US Army gives support crews lower quality weapons. I understand that front line troops come first but still. Not sure if it was bad weapons or the support crews weren't properly taught how to care for them. Either way it makes you a little angry to hear that.

You have to admire a man that can take a mortor crew with a jammed weapon :D

The guy who took out the mortor crew with jammed M-16 was from Kansas...yay Kansas!

Cool! where from, Riley or Leavenworth?

I think he's from Kansas, but his unit was not.

You know that's the thing that really disturbed about this thing. Why did all of the M-16's jam? I've been in desert combat and my M4 never jammed on me even when I spent all 250 combat rounds without cleaning. Makes you wonder if the US Army gives support crews lower quality weapons. I understand that front line troops come first but still. Not sure if it was bad weapons or the support crews weren't properly taught how to care for them. Either way it makes you a little angry to hear that.

You have to admire a man that can take a mortor crew with a jammed weapon  :D

Well from the interview the only weapon that Jammed was Lynch's (Ironically). I think if these weapons were jamming up I would have to go with lack of training rather than equipment. A jam can be cleared if the shooter has been trained to do so under fire.

Funny things happen in the heat of battle like trying to fire a weapon with the safety on,etc

None the less according to Lynch the soldiers in her convoy did return fire and fought back, but they were way outgunned by Iraqis with RPGs and Heavy machine guns (most likely PKs).

The thing that bothers me the most is in a day and age when GPS is standard issue and the level of communication that our military has why they 1- couldnt get turned around and back on course, or 2- get some sort of air support of backup in there. Yes it all happened pretty fast, but if you know your lost then STOP! and figure out where you are or turn around and backtrack. It amazes me someone didnt take command and double back.

Ah ok. I thought more than one weapon jammed. If they were lost first thing is either stop. But then you make yourself a good target. So either stop or just turn back in the same direction you came. Air support could be there depending on how long the gun battle took place and if there were any in the area. Also, a lot of commanders are not willing to divert air from more important objectives to help out a tech crew. It's a sad fact but it happens. My unit was under heavy fire during the retreat in Lebanon in 2000. They simply left us to fight for ourselves. It makes you bitter but there isn't much you can do about it

I hear ya. Its easy to Monday Morning QB with something like this. I'm sure they did the best they could with what they had, just too bad the chips were against them from the start.

Lynch was very persistant about the bravery of the Soldiers around her so I was impressed by her honesty.