Sign in to follow this  
mustang60348

Well, I broke down and bought it

Black Shark

Since it doesn't install an SF driver (uses online activation via SF though), I installed it a couple of days ago.

So Far....awesome game/simulation of a helo

It just feels right. Trim takes a bit getting used to but once you do , not issues here.

IT takes alot to learn , I like the fact you can start from cold and do what feels like a 'real' startup procedure.

Graphics are decent, though not spectacular for a helo sim, a fair amount of flat textures to show stuff on the ground, but that is OK.

i'd like to see one thread be positive to this release!i bought it 2 days ago, spent first day reading all manuels and studyin all i could before even firein up sim.spent another 2 hours goin through start up, finally got into the air,love it!alot more immersive than lockon,hell of a learning curve,i can see my wife being a black shark widow for a long time!

i'd like to see one thread be positive to this release!i bought it 2 days ago, spent first day reading all manuels and studyin all i could before even firein up sim.spent another 2 hours goin through start up, finally got into the air,love it!alot more immersive than lockon,hell of a learning curve,i can see my wife being a black shark widow for a long time!

Are you saying my post wasn't positive.

Or do you mean GUSHY.

Edited by mustang60348

not at all ,i'd just like to see someone talk about what they like about it and share some hints on the sim instead of just bitchin about starfarse and whatnot!i hope there's alot of people enjoying it as much as i am.cheers dude!

not at all ,i'd just like to see someone talk about what they like about it and share some hints on the sim instead of just bitchin about starfarse and whatnot!i hope there's alot of people enjoying it as much as i am.cheers dude!

Ah, I see.

I wasn't bitching about SF per se, though I will say this, if the download version had SF on it, I would not have bought it. (cost me a 2 DVD drives a while back , I won't let a game do that to me again).

I'm still trying to get a handle on the...handling. It seems after about 5 minutes I'm totally out of control. :biggrin:

Get a hold of her! :cool: Practice! Remember that slightest deviations tends to develop into bigger ones.

My problems seem to happen at the instant of takeoff! It always starts to roll back onto the tail and my attempts to correct it are never good enough.

A major issue I've seen is that while Flanker and LOMAC had in-game stick adjustment abilities for things like dead zone and curves, DCS does not. That means I have to do it with my Cougar software itself, which I'm far less adept at.

Overall, though, it just seems far too twitchy. I almost feel like I've got a digital axis, with every push of the stick no matter how small being almost "to the stops". No other sim gives me this issue.

DCS does not

What about the axis assigment part of controls menu? I thought it has some sort of axis sensitivity adjustments. :blink:

My problems seem to happen at the instant of takeoff! It always starts to roll back onto the tail and my attempts to correct it are never good enough.

A major issue I've seen is that while Flanker and LOMAC had in-game stick adjustment abilities for things like dead zone and curves, DCS does not. That means I have to do it with my Cougar software itself, which I'm far less adept at.

Overall, though, it just seems far too twitchy. I almost feel like I've got a digital axis, with every push of the stick no matter how small being almost "to the stops". No other sim gives me this issue.

It does fortunately. It's in the "axis tune" screen. Go to controls, Axes, click on the control that you want to adjust, the hit "axis tune" and you'll have a screen that gives you all the adjustments that LOMAC had (and more). I've toned down the gain of my controls a bit because as you said it's a sensitive beast.

As for the taking off, my advice is to turn on the "controls position" overlay (rctrl enter) and trim your joystick slightly forward before adding collective. It helped me a lot.

The trimming of Black Shark for non-ffb controls is rather unusual and I hope that they improve it in the first patch. If you've got the autopilot engaged without the flight director it's best to hold the trim key (t) down whenever adjusting attitude using the joystick. When you've got it right, release the trim key and reset the controls withing 0.5 seconds.

I personally prefer to fly with the flight director and do the trimming on my CH gear itself.

like i said big learning curve,d/z's are adjustable and needed,very sensitive,haven't flown with trims yet,but love it without!my problem is with my saitek throttle remaps won't let my throttle be collective, just my slider,sucks!anybody got a solution?

like i said big learning curve,d/z's are adjustable and needed,very sensitive,haven't flown with trims yet,but love it without!my problem is with my saitek throttle remaps won't let my throttle be collective, just my slider,sucks!anybody got a solution?

you have to select the throttle and clear it all together then remap the clear button is on the lower right of the screen if i remember correctly

Yeah, I had someone tell me about that button last night. I never noticed it before, it's not as well laid out as the screen was in LOMAC, which I didn't think possible!

Anyway, that's what I'll be doing this long weekend...messing with the axes to get the thing under control!

I am/was a BIG fan of EECH and just loved the realism in that helo and have to say that BS has this too, big time. I love games that have this mush realism and not just a button named "push to fly again" like nothings happend. In the matter of fact am I proud to say that I had over 760 hours of flight in combat in EECH on the same nick without starting over again or gotten killed! That is realism. And that is what I love with a game like this. :ok:

I love the fidling with knobs and switches and the realistic sound when the engine starts... and stops... :)

This sure looks like a great helo...

And while I have you here, a happy new year to ya! :biggrin:

I baught it two days ago. Its a great sim. As for the security issue, its not that big of a deal. As long as i can call up and get more activations if I run out for some reason. Otherwise, Its a great product and I'd love to see more from ED.

And 4 months later I still am not much better! Granted I've put in maybe 2 hrs/month... :sad:

:rofl: i know the feeling!fallout 3 still keeps on going and going,yap2, off3,sf2,sf2v,farcry2,i only have one computer give me a break!need to quit my day job!