Sign in to follow this  
mustang60348

SLI in Blackshark

I enable SLI (2x 8800 GTS 640MB cards) and it shows enabled (I put on the SLI indicators in Nvidia Control Panel) BUT , it doesn't make a bit of difference to framerate. I disable SLI (run Single GPU) get same FPS as SLI.

I am assuming this game is CPU limited for me. Everything on HIGH (except water) , getting 40 FPS pretty much all the time which is good.

I have Q9550 running at 2.83 Ghz, with 2 Gig of RAM.

1. Low fps in Blackshark is more cpu related.

2. If you are running XP/Vista 32bit

- in that case I wouldn't bother with that SLI setup - all that video ram(2x640Mb) will handicap your system ram if you'r running 32bit windows.

I personaly tryed game on much faster proc with 64bit Vista and dual 9800 cards - there is a big difference in SLI mode. (my neighbour have a killer rig) :yes:

EDIT > BTW that Q9550 is nice piece of hardware too.... use 64bit OS if you can, add another 2 Gb of system Ram (4Gb is more/less optimum in that case), rest stuff will be just fine

Edited by starfighter2

Mind, BS runs on single CPU core, no matter how many you've got.

Rgr that - my "advice" is related to all software that can use SLI

Thanks guys for the advice... I figured it was CPU limited just was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong.

BTW 40 fps isn't low to me, it runs smooth, easy to control etc.

With regards to multicpu, yup, agree, only runs on one core, there are 'tricks' that supposedly make it run better by setting affinity, but doesn't do a thing for me.

@starfighters: What do you mean that video ram will handicap my system.

NEVER MIND: Found this article http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42891 , explains it.

Edited by mustang60348

I'm running an e8600 OC'ed to 4.75Ghz (water cooled) and using 3 GTX280's in Tri-SLI, under Vista x64 with 8gb DDR3.

And SLI makes zero difference to the framerate. I tried all the different modes and nada. What I haven't tried is maybe pulling one of the GTX280's and trying just SLI.

I suspect that what we need here is a custom profile from Nvidia to sort this out. Or, perhaps the game is CPU bound even at nearly 5Ghz. Hard to say.

My next experiment will be to lower the clock on the CPU to see if it lowers the framerate.

I love the game so far, btw - but the limit of 7/10 installs/deinstalls scares me since I am such a hardware enthusiast - and I routinely blow out my Windows install. Or my insane overclocking craps out the registry, etc.

Can't wait to sit down with the manual. I LOVE FLIGHT SIMS ESPECIALLY HELO's!!!