Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

STRIKE FIGHTERS 2

Yessir, DX9 or 10, which is XP or Vista.

As long as you have the November update to DX9.0c, you're Golden.

I just wonder why it is that M$ won't upgrade the name beyond 9.0c, which it has been through many upgrades...

:dntknw:

Glad you put that, I had a missing dx10.dll when I tried to run it. Luckily I read this thread before making myself look silly (easily done) by asking about it.

Cheers. :good:

Luckily I read this thread before making myself look silly (easily done) by asking about it.

That's the first rule of Combat Ace. :biggrin:

It's on page 2 of If you're a Noobie, don't make yourself a Boobie, available at all good bookshops price £12.99 or available as a .pdf at www.icannotbelieveuclickedthis.com

Also available in large print and as an audio book (with a choice of narrators, Morgan Freeman for the US version, Richard Burton for the UK version, Kurt Jurgens for the German version and Baghdad Bob for the hugely popular Iraqi version, all other countries sorry you get the Cat in the Hat).

I know one thing for sure: the comm building got owned today. Six years after I first took the air in Strike Fighters P1, this was the day of retribution. It was going to be me against the comm building. We had some unfinished business left. All these patches, versions and virtual years later, it was still there waiting. Shack!

Hooray, I got a truck to explode after about 20 7.62mm hits. :haha:

Can you confirm, that bullets damage have been vastly desreased?

@Syrinx: I'll take the Kurt Jurgens audio one.

Can you confirm, that bullets damage have been vastly desreased?

I haven't seen much bullet damage before. :wink: There were 20-30mm cannons and high caliber MGs and they tore bigh holes quickly.

But Minigun fires 7.62mm rounds which are rather weak even without any mods.

I dread to think about blue planes over Suez. Looks like half of them is gonna have .50 cal machne guns. vs. MiG cannons. :rofl:

Just did my part and ordered SF2!!!! I still remember when I first bought Strike Fighters Project 1.

Spectre, what a brilliant idea, don't know why I didn't think of that. You are the man. I'm taking the 20 bucks I'd spend on SF2 and sticking it in the cookie jar next to my computer and buying the next combat flight sim that actually works in multiplay. Thank you thank you thank you.

Hooray, I got a truck to explode after about 20 7.62mm hits. :haha:

The basic M134 can be readily modified to fire other smaller caliber ammunition, such as the XM214 5.56mm "mini-minigun". although they are small projectiles, you must take into account that 6000 rounds per minute equals 100 rounds per second..... Thats a lot of lead, so its basically one very long projectile, so to speak. (6000 is maximum rate, usually they are carded at 2000-4000 rpm)

I managed to have a nearly fully functional Bpao Tomcat F-14A in Strike Fighters 2

- copied F-14A folder to \My Documents\Thirdwire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects\Aircraft --> OK

- copied the sounds folder to \My Documents\Thirdwire\Strike Fighters 2\Sounds --> all OK

- copied pilot and seat files to \My Documents\Thirdwire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects\Aircraft --> OK

- extracted F-4E pit instruments, panels and generic instruments from WOE Objectdata.cat and copied them to

\My Documents\Thirdwire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects\Aircraft\F-14A\cockpit --> now original Bpao Tomcat cockpit also fully functional

- copied effects to \My Documents\Thirdwire\Strike Fighters 2\Effects --> unfortunately these do not work

- so I adjusted the effects in F-14A_data.ini to point to standard SF2 effects

- copied weapons to \My Documents\Thirdwire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects\Weapons --> cannot work at the moment since we have no clue how to

add weapons in SF2 yet.

But then, as expected, the F-14A is a joy to fly in SF2!

I absolutely LOVE the new cockpits. BTW, I was looking at the new Campaigns menu photo and noticed the new Campaign called 'Desert Fury'. Does anyone know the timeframe of it?

Does anyone know the timeframe of it?

No idea when it ends but

USN and Marines start it October 1972

USAF and Mercenaries start it June 1975

No idea when it ends but

USN and Marines start it October 1972

USAF and Mercenaries start it June 1975

:good:

Hmmm... still can't hit a thing with STARM :blush:

But after reading

Problems were that it was large & heavy, necessitating the asymmetric

load. That its profile precluded monitoring flight to the target. That

it often lost signal and went ballistic and that it required

considerable pre-launch programming by the Bear.

Typically it was F-105G Weasel practice to fire it at the first

available signal on entering the target area. This would lighten the

aircraft load and free up maneuvering potential for serious SAM site

engagement.

one instance in which the missile was launched, turned upward (typical profile) and then came back down

through our flight about two minutes later. Disconcerting to say the

least!

I don't really expect much of it :biggrin:

That's kinda cute too

To improve IR discrimination and sensitivity the AIM-4 had a cooled

seeker head. This was done by a bottle of compressed nitrogen which

was a "one shot" deal. When you anticipated engagement, you cooled the

seeker. You were then good for about three or four minutes before the

seeker cooling expired and the missile was inert.

Which isn't to say that the AIM-9B was all that capable. It had a

large front lens which was prone to shattering from rain or hail

impacts if you flew through heavy precipitation. I saw it several

times when we carried the missiles on the F-105.

Bumped into that stuff HERE

Unless multiplay is fixed, I'm not going to toch this one with a 10 foot stick. Nor will I tough the others. Why should I purchase something I already have, something that's already broken? Nothing like throwing good money after bad. Sorry TK.

TK/Single Players:

WOW!! Before I say something that is going to stir the pot to say the least: Is Multiplayer in the future for SF2? I think we all know where Doghouse and I stand on this.

Creature

Is Multiplayer in the future for SF2?

To Quote TK

* Multiplayer - DirectX 10 no longer support DirectPlay which we relied on, so this had to be dropped. This also comes about because it's becoming increasingly difficult for us to maintain stable MP while keeping the game so open and moddable - when modders can change not only the data files but which data files to use, it's just impossible (with our limited resources) to keep everything synced up.

Eventually, we would like to do another line/series of games that’s dedicated to multiplayer, one that’s more "secure" and not so open (although there will be a host option to open things up). We'll probably do that once we have enough stock planes (including MiGs) built up to make stock-only multiplayer interesting.

Aaaargh... Beagle survived 300 hits with Minigun and an AIM-4J.

Multiplayer has almost always been at the bottom of TK's list.

He does infer he may someday make a dedicated MP version of the game (with flyable MiGs!).

But, knowing what he is already committed to doing and that his financial stability depends on continuously releasing new titles, I don't see how he can do a multiplayer game anytime soon without subcontracting out the network code.

I don't think TK will hire someone to code for him and I doubt he can afford to take the time to write his own multiplayer code.

If Microsoft provides another free alternative to DirectPlay that TK can plug into his game with relative ease, then maybe TK might be able to squeeze in the multiplayer version.

So here is the roadmap I see that must be followed for us to see TK release an MP version of the SF2 game system based on his own statements:

1) MS replaces DirectPlay with an easy to learn and use system that is up to date in terms of handling routers and firewalls.

2) TK finishes his current project list (which he revealed at his forums and is quite a big list when you count conversion of all the original sims to Vista plus the Suez addon and 2 or more other unspecified games/addons).

3) The available planeset from previously released games/addons provides fully flyable versions of MiG-17s, MiG-19s, MiG-21s, MiG-23s, Su-7s, etc.

4) A certain hot location run by Satan freezes over solid.

With any luck, all of these conditions will have been met by the time my son is old enough to fly with/against me.

Edited by streakeagle

As requested by Kreelin, I have updated my CatPack tool to unpack the new cat format from Strike Fighters 2, I will upload it tomorrow.

I think that's what all we need to enjoy SFP2.

Waiting for the tool ....

Paul

I think that's what all we need to enjoy SFP2.

Waiting for the tool ....

Paul

Gerwin is still working hard on it. Stay tuned :biggrin:

Doesnt look like anything new except for eye candy.....sigh.I would like to see worlds/cities in the missions and campaigns that are much more alive with activity and a lot more improvements.Not more of the same thing strung out over several titles that really didn't add much to what already existed.

Edited by Akwar

Doesnt look like anything new except for eye candy.....sigh.I would like to see worlds/cities in the missions and campaigns that are much more alive with activity and a lot more improvements.Not more of the same thing strung out over several titles that really didn't add much to what already existed.

Er. It has been stated many times that SF2 would not be an entirely new product (especially for those using XP), except for those that does not want the hassle associated with installing the games in Vista. This has been said by TK himself many, many times.

It is up to you to do your own conclusion, but in the end, it is you yourself that would decide the worth of the trade-off.

Edited by kct

I would like to see a lot of things....but guess what? No way that a $19.99 title, that's essentially coded by a "team of one" is ever going to achieve that lofty goal. It takes a lot more resources than TK has at his disposal (interpret that as "MONEY").

TK's aim is to survive by doing what he enjoys doing, and updating his wares as and when needed. Don't forget that he's been supplying free updates for titles that he has had no control over (SFP1, SF Gold, WoV, WoE), for almost six years. Has a large company like M$ ever supported the hobbyist to that extent? :biggrin:

Despite the fact that SF2 really offers me nothing new, I purchased it to support Thirdwire...

TK had rolled updates into all Thirdwire itterations from day one... at no cost to us. At a paultry $20.00, it's the least I can do to see to it he and Thirdwire stays around a little longer...

I got dragged into Thirdwire sims kicking and screaming... All these years later, :wheelchair: I haven't wavered since. I feel quite comfy right where I'm at thank-you.

Edited by Zurawski

Looks like the 3d engine has been updated. The shading is much better and the pits are a lot sharper because of it.

sf2_13.jpg

The overall look of the models and texturing give it a more polished and believable look. TK has brought SF into the vista era.