Sign in to follow this  
zagnut

Thunderbirds' 50th Anniversary @ Nellis Afb

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get this out, that there is an airshow at Nellis AFB this weekend, where the Thunderbirds are performing for their 50th anniversary. It should be a good show, and admission is free, so if you aren't doing anything this weekend and you live in or around the Las Vegas area, I don't think this is one to pass up. I'll be there!

too bad I live in Israel :wacko:

have a good time and bring some pics :P

Great to hear that they didn't give up after the last crash.

Let us know on this topic how the show were.

Salute (to the Thunderbirds also)

Dutchy

Living in Vegas pays off sometimes. The nellis air show was great with an F-18, f-15, and f-14 demonstrations as well as the c-17, b-2 bomber, and the stealth fighter. The best part of the show however was the oportunity to get within 20 feet (any closer and the guys with m-16's will have words with you) of the new f-22 raptor, and the f-35 joint strike fighter. They are in flight testing with these new planes at nellis so we see them taking off and landing all the time. The thunderbird demo was somewhat lackluster as they only had 1 solo plane instead of 2. Not sure if this was due to the crash, or some problem with the other plane as they towed one off the flight line before the demo. Other high points were Sean Tucker's bi-plane aerobatics, and unlimited and formula one racing. All in all it was a great time and it is an annual event so make plans for next year. They post announcements for it at www.nellisairshow.com.

VegasBob hit the nail on the head. The Thunderbirds were good, but b/c of the crash earlier on, they had really seemed to water down the performance in terms of major stunts. Yet, as always since I was a kid, they made me feel patriotic. The other demos were great. It was my first time seeing Unlimited Formula 1 in the air. All Mustangs racing around pylons, and when they flew by; just the sound of those souped up Merlins made me shiver. Sean Tucker, the top arobatic pilot in the U.S. was an absolute hoot. I had seen him a couple years back when I was living in Maryland- always a great show with him. The modern jet demos were just great as always, but my biggest thrill was getting a firsthand look at the new JSF and F-22. They were a hell of alot smaller than I though they would be, but hella impressive all the same.